uniqs

Ctrl Alt Del
Premium Member
join:2002-02-18

1 recommendation

Ctrl Alt Del to RiseAbove

Premium Member

to RiseAbove

Re: [MacBook Pro 13"] Can it drive the big HD TV monitor?

Click for full size
2012 11-inch MBA driving 3 displays
said by RiseAbove:

said by skeechan:

Displays aren't bus powered. Power requirements aren't the problem but the MBA only supports 1 external monitor (dual display including the build in panel). But the HD4000 itself in the rMBP can drive it's internal 2560x1600 panel plus 2 external T-Bolt displays at 2560x1440 each.

I know all of that read what I quoted. THe person stated that an 11" air can run two 27" displays. I was correcting them. You are correct through about rMBP.

You both are incorrect about the 2012 MacBook Air. The 2011 could only drive 1 external monitor. But as of 2012, here's the breakdown:

15-inch Retina MacBook Pro can drive 4 displays, 3 external displays plus the internal monitor: »appleinsider.com/article ··· monitors

13-inch Retina MacBook Pro can drive 3 displays, 2 external displays plus the internal monitor.

The 2012 11-inch MacBook Air can drive 3 displays, 2 external displays plus the internal monitor: »arstechnica.com/apple/20 ··· onitors/

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

Huh, Apple claims different.
said by Apple :
Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on an external display, both at millions of colors.
Cool. It did surprise me that Apple would say that MBA with the same HD4000 as the rMBP would drive "an external" instead of the 2 it claims for that rMBP.

Ctrl Alt Del
Premium Member
join:2002-02-18

Ctrl Alt Del

Premium Member

Apple needs to clarify their own tech specs pages, because there are people running two Thunderbolt displays and the internal off a 2012 MBA.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

It's probably like some of the RAM capacity specs...it can do it but it isn't "supported". Maybe Apple's T-Bolts displays work while other displays end up not, or flickering on and off (like my Dell did with the T-Bold to dual link adapter).

Ugly
Fishy Cool Bird
join:2001-12-12
The Meadow

Ugly to Ctrl Alt Del

to Ctrl Alt Del
Awesome post. Thank you!

edit: The one with the photo of three displays, I mean.