share rss forum feed

WhyADuck
Premium
join:2003-03-05
kudos:1

1 edit

1 recommendation

Gmail: Free calls in 2013, Google Voice not mentioned

If you happened to catch Google's announcement today, what was missing was any specific mention of Google Voice. The post is in the Official Gmail Blog, so it definitely applies to Gmail, but what about Google Voice? Was it just an oversight that they didn't mention it, or are they planning on doing something different this year?

Here are links to a couple of posts on the subject:
Google Extends Free Gmail Voice Calls In The U.S. And Canada Through 2013
News flash: The announcement we’ve been waiting for from Google — sort of

If anyone from Google happens to read this, it would be nice to have a clarification as to whether Google Voice will also remain free through 2013. Either way, we very much appreciate the free calls!

EDIT: This tweet from the Google Voice Twitter account seems to indicate that this also applies to Google Voice:

@googlevoice: Free calling within the US and Canada through 2013 »ow.ly/gnSmQ

PX Eliezer7
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13

Thanks for the info, and for an excellent post and headline.

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

join:2012-12-06
reply to WhyADuck

said by WhyADuck:

The post is in the Official Gmail Blog...

Same as last year, same as with other not-specifically-Gmail "products" (Calendar, for example).
--
"...but ya doesn't hasta call me Johnson!"

ConstantineM

join:2011-09-02
San Jose, CA
reply to WhyADuck

How can they offer free Google Voice for a whole year if the government can make up weird rules at any time to require them to start contributing to various federal telco funds?

I may guess that Google Voice will always be free until some bureaucrat may decide that Google isn't paying their share into various telco funds.

Their comment about not wanting to be providing any kind of phone service together with Google Fiber says it all, IMHO.

PX Eliezer7
Premium
Hutt River
reply to NotTheMama

Ah, but last year (and I think the prior one as well) the post in the GMail blog was re-copied to the GoogleVoice blog.

That's not been the case here.

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

Just wondering... does "Google Voice" even exist as a product outside of being a feature of Gmail? (Does anyone actually make/take direct calls without having to sign into their Gmail account first?)
--

ConstantineM

San Jose, CA

I have a Google Voice account without having Gmail; so, yes, it exists; but probably more on the side compared to Gmail. After all, they aren't getting any money from it, apart from what is basically already offered through Gmail already.

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

Every Google account includes Gmail. Those contacts in Google Voice are Gmail contacts. You may or may not use Google's Gmail [web] interface, but it's still there.
--

ConstantineM

San Jose, CA

Not every Google account includes Gmail. It's a fact; check it up.

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

I did say you don't have to use it. I didn't say you couldn't use another, non-Gmail address.
--

Arne Bolen
Happy Anveo customer
Premium
join:2009-06-21
Planet Earth
kudos:4
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·callwithus
·Callcentric
reply to NotTheMama

said by NotTheMama:

Just wondering... does "Google Voice" even exist as a product outside of being a feature of Gmail?

Yes, Google Voice is a separate product.

GrandCentral was founded in 2005 and acquired by Google on July 2, 2007, for US$95 million. Google relaunched the company as Google Voice on March 11, 2009.

said by NotTheMama:

(Does anyone actually make/take direct calls without having to sign into their Gmail account first?)

There is no need to be logged into a GMail account to receive direct calls.
--
My VoIP News

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

1 edit

Yeah, I know. My GrandCentral account/number was "converted" to Google Voice.

Yep, I receive calls at the cell phone number specified in my Google Voice settings all the time. (None of them are "direct" though.)
--

andre2

join:2005-08-24
Brookline, MA
reply to PX Eliezer7

said by PX Eliezer7:

Ah, but last year (and I think the prior one as well) the post in the GMail blog was re-copied to the GoogleVoice blog.

That's not been the case here.

And there was a post on the GV blog (regarding Santa calls) just a week ago, so it's not being neglected, and they must know a lot more people care about the 2013 announcement (or lack thereof).

»googlevoiceblog.blogspot.com/201···066.html

rsriram22

join:2006-08-14
Lexington, KY

atleast groove IP is thinking that google voice will be free -- »www.facebook.com/pages/GrooVe-IP···74886558

neftv

join:2000-10-01
Broomall, PA
reply to WhyADuck

I wonder if Google will move Google Voice users to just use Gmail Voice and do away with Google Voice. What will happen to all the Obi-Hai devices will they be able to reconfigure them to use Gmail Voice?

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

It already uses Gmail Chat.

PX Eliezer7
Premium
Hutt River
reply to neftv

GMail Voice would be a poor substitute for Google Voice.

WhyADuck
Premium
join:2003-03-05
kudos:1
reply to WhyADuck

I edited my original post to reflect this:

This tweet from the Google Voice Twitter account seems to indicate that this also applies to Google Voice:

@googlevoice: Free calling within the US and Canada through 2013 »ow.ly/gnSmQ

andre2

join:2005-08-24
Brookline, MA

1 edit

That's just a link to the Gmail post, with its title repeated (and the problem is with the text in the post, which suggests that it only applies to Gmail). There's still no post in the GV blog.

Edit: Though I suppose the fact that it's a GV twitter account is significant. They should still post it to the GV blog, though, since that's what they've used in the past.

dafoneguy

join:2011-03-10

Google Voice made the announcement on the Gmail Blog this year instead of the Google Voice Blog for whatever reason. ?? It is confirmed that Google Voice is free for 2013 on the Gmail Blog.

»gmailblog.blogspot.com/

There is also an article from Forbes about the announcement.

»www.forbes.com/sites/tjmccue/201···ndustry/

PX Eliezer7
Premium
Hutt River
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms

said by dafoneguy:

Google Voice made the announcement on the Gmail Blog this year instead of the Google Voice Blog for whatever reason. ?? It is confirmed that Google Voice is free for 2013 on the Gmail Blog.

Sorry, it's not confirmed at all.

As has been repeatedly said above, that announcement refers to GMail Voice, not to Google Voice.

In the previous years, both programs (which have different histories, different blogs, different forums, different staff) were each mentioned by name. This year only one was mentioned.

said by dafoneguy:

There is also an article from Forbes about the announcement.

Unfortunately, Forbes makes mistakes too. They clearly don't understand the distinction between GMv and GV. Their knowledge of VoIP probably doesn't extend much beyond Skype and Vonage.

Hey, even the New York Times makes mistakes. They publish corrections almost every day.

This issue is not settled at all.

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

You know what we should do... first, list all of the methods available for making direct calls using a Google Voice number--subdivided between those that require signing in to Gmail Voice/Chat/Talk and those that don't; and then we can try to estimate what percentage of the total calls that might be for each. (Maybe the latter percentage is so small that Google doesn't care about it?)
--

gweidenh

join:2002-05-18
Houston, TX
kudos:3

You can make calls by:

1) Using the softphone built into the Gmail interface
2) Using Google Hangouts call phone function
3) Initiating a call from the Google Voice webpage
4) Calling your Google Voice number from one of your forwarding phones
5) Using the Google Voice smartphone app to initiate calls

All of these methods use the exact same calling rates and billing methods. Account credit comes out of your Google Voice credit.

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
reply to WhyADuck

So, is it still working and still free?

Expand your moderator at work

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

reply to garys_2k

Re: Gmail: Free calls in 2013, Google Voice not mentioned

Is Generalissimo Franco still dead?

PX Eliezer7
Premium
Hutt River
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms

said by NotTheMama:

Is Generalissimo Franco still dead?

Unfortunately, lots of the younger folk won't get the reference.

I was talking to someone who was 30 years old and had never heard of "Hogan's Heroes". I don't mean that she had never seen an episode, but rather never even heard of it.

---------------------------

As far as GoogleVoice:

On one hand, I think that they were trying to keep options open.

OTOH, there has been so much confusion and mis-statement (such as the Forbes article) that they would be skinned alive for starting to charge for GV at this point.

So we'll never know what they really had in mind....

sarahportman

join:2012-10-31
reply to WhyADuck

Google Voice is a separate product of Google and I think there is no official announcement if they are going to make it free for 2013 like they did last year.

I think with no further announcement from the main page, I think there is no worries.

Hi, I think it's been a few years since the last posting on this topic so hoping someone in the know might see this, but I am trying to unlock my Lingo iAN-20ex to use it with google voice. (Apologies if this is the wrong thread.) I am a newbie and assume this is possible but need lots of hand holding! I've seen the other posts and can do a hard reset but the listed supervisor passwords to unlock the adapter don't seem to work any more. Many thanks in advance for any help!

PX Eliezer7
Premium
Hutt River
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms

said by VoIPNewbieLA :

I am trying to unlock my Lingo iAN-20ex to use it with google voice.

You can't use it with Google Voice, you would need something like an Obi-brand ATA to use with Google Voice.

You might be able to unlock it for use with SIP-friendly BYOD providers such as CallCentric, Voip.MS, CallWithUs, Future Nino, Anveo, etc. But it won't be easy and in any event you should start a new thread (new topic).