Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
reply to ilikeme

Re: [DISH] Dish install at apartment building

so what they are doing is illegal in asking me to pay $75 for the fee? But how can I fight an corporation that owns 30 apartment complexes as I'm sure the landlord is only enforcing their rules.

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Vonage
You can print the rules and show it to the landlord. You can also call or e-mail the FCC and complain.

Do you have your own private area (i.e. balcony or patio) where you can put the dish? If so all you need is a bucket full of concrete to put the pole in. They should not be able to get a deposit for that.

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2
reply to mikedz4
As Hayward pointed out, they used the proper word, "deposit". They can't charge a fee. In this case, when you leave this apartment and fix the holes (good luck with that !!), you'll get your $75 back.

mikedz4

Weirton, WV
an neighbor had one installed. It looked like they buried line and connected it where cable comes in to building.

ilikeme
Premium
Sugar Land, TX
reply to Hall
I just called the FCC and according to them deposits are also illegal. They fall under the unnecessary extra expenses.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
Then the landlord should deny him access to mount the dish to the building. He doesn't own that so there's no right to mount there. As you point out, he can freely mount a dish in an area that's only for him, i.e. a balcony, etc, but not in an area where other tenants have free access.

mikedz4

Weirton, WV
they make me do a pole install in the side yard.

ilikeme
Premium
Sugar Land, TX
Reviews:
·Vonage
said by mikedz4:

Do you not have a balcony or patio?

mikedz4

Weirton, WV
small patio but it is covered.

ilikeme
Premium
Sugar Land, TX
What direction does it face?

mikedz4

Weirton, WV

1 edit
I'm facing east. Other side of building is facing south
My patio is facing east but I am on the outside wall that faces north. The other side of the building faces south but borders woods.

westdc

join:2009-01-25
Amissville, VA
Your facing the wrong way Can't hit the sat from that location-Loks like you need to move to the other side of the building.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
reply to mikedz4
said by mikedz4:

Everything working ?

mikedz4

Weirton, WV
I can't just move to another apartment that is occupied and no not yet. Trying to figure out how to get them to reduce my past due bill or sign up in my fiancé's name since she lives here too.

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
said by mikedz4:

Trying to figure out how to get them to reduce my past due bill or sign up in my fiancé's name since she lives here too.

Are you saying that you are past due on your rent and you want to install DISH?

If that is true, you have your priorities backwards and no wonder that the landlord is doing what he is doing.
--
"You can observe a lot by watching". Yogi Berra

mikedz4

Weirton, WV
I have an dish network account from 4 or 5 years ago that is past due. Dish won't waive it even though it is from 4 or 5 years ago. I am trying to figure out what my other options are like getting it reduced or using my fiancé's name.

westdc

Amissville, VA
If she uses the same address as yours -Then that won't work either

mikedz4

Weirton, WV
well the past due is attached to my parents address but my ssn. Why wouldn't they forgive the past due especially IF I agree to a 3 or 4 year contract?

westdc

Amissville, VA
You would need to ask them-A Debt is a Debt once Burned why should they take another chance? That's why there is a credit rating for Business to make a judgement for Goods or services offered NOT for forgiveness.

If you call and ask that would should show so honesty on your part and perhaps they would add the old debt to your new install spread out over your commitment.

You really need to ask Customer Service.

mikedz4

Weirton, WV
they told me I had to pay it in full before getting service UNLESS I bought my receivers on ebay or craigslist.

mikedz4

Weirton, WV
what are my other options for getting dish network service?

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
I'll bet you're looking at $200-300 for all of the equipment if you were to buy it on your own and that's non-DVR receivers. I see from your original post that you want a Hopper-based system. Scratch that number above. A Hopper by itself is at least $400.

No installation either -- you'll have to do it yourself.

Compare that to the past due amount...

Irish Shark
Premium,MVM
Las Vegas, NV
reply to mikedz4
said by mikedz4:

I have an dish network account from 4 or 5 years ago that is past due. Dish won't waive it even though it is from 4 or 5 years ago. I am trying to figure out what my other options are like getting it reduced or using my fiancé's name.

Sorry that I did not read your response correctly; I took it as past rent.

Any who, there is no way Dish is going to do business with you until that past due bill is satisfied. I am wondering why Dish did not turn it over to collections.
--
"You can observe a lot by watching". Yogi Berra

mikedz4

Weirton, WV
they did turn it over. It's just one of those bills I thought would have been wrote off by now. Would dish be willing to settle with me or will I have to pay the full bill before?

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
If they turned it over to collections, they're out the bulk of the amount, I think. They've effectively lost the money you owed them and have marked your account as such. You need to get service in someone else's name at this point.

Irish Shark
Premium,MVM
Las Vegas, NV
Yup

mikedz4

Weirton, WV
so even if I pay the money they won't let me get service? Will they even let me put it in my room mates name?

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
What did Dish say when you asked them that ?

mikedz4

Weirton, WV
i didn't ask about putting in someone elses name. they said if i paid past due i could put in my name.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
reply to mikedz4
said by mikedz4:

so even if I pay the money they won't let me get service?

said by mikedz4:

they said if i paid past due i could put in my name.

?