spc
uniqs
fbruno
join:2000-04-06
Berwyn, PA

fbruno to PX Eliezer704

to PX Eliezer704

Re: Quantumvoice Residential Services being Discontinued 3/1/13

Pardon the lack of specifics in my question. I understand that **275* is a code that routes the call to SipBroker. Given a specific 1-800 number, how does Sip Broker subsequently handle the call and why are they willing to handle it for free?
hardly
Premium Member
join:2004-02-10
USA

hardly

Premium Member

»faq.sipbroker.com/tiki-index.php
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704 to fbruno

Premium Member

to fbruno
said by fbruno:

Given a specific 1-800 number, how does Sip Broker subsequently handle the call and why are they willing to handle it for free?

They would use a termination carrier, the same as any other outbound VoIP call is handled.

Any carrier connecting a call to a 1-800 type of number receives a payment for carrying the call.

As you know, the [called] party pays a fee to receive that call, and some of that money goes to the carrier connecting the call. At very high volume, some money can be made.

This is why (for example) Alcazar Networks will gladly handle any TF calls that you choose to make. They get something out of it, and have a big enough volume to make it profitable. In fact, if you make a huge amount of TF calls they will even give a little money to you!

In SipBroker's case, they presumably are using one or more TF termination carriers, and getting some money back to help support the rest of their operation.
fbruno
join:2000-04-06
Berwyn, PA

fbruno to hardly

to hardly
Thank you. I had read that page, and it did not provide enough information to answer my question about the subsequent call flow.