MVM
join:2000-04-27
Morton Grove, IL

JimThePCGuy to jay608

MVM

to jay608

Re: Roku

I have several of them.
I use two of them regularly and really like them.
I have a Netflix and Amazon Prime subscription which cost a few $$ but there is a lot of free stuff too.
I also have two BluRay players with Netflix built-in and think the Roku video is much better.
I've had a Roku since 2008 when they were unheard of.
Call me an early adopter?

To the OP:
Netflix, Amazon Video, NASA and TWIT TV are my favorites.
I have the HBO and Skin-i-Max as well as Showtime but rarely use them.
They recently added a 'Global Search" facility where you can search for a title and it will tell you which "channels" offer the title. Works nicely.

J

jay608
Going Nucking Futs
join:2007-01-22
Homewood, IL

jay608

what about channels like your local stations?

JimThePCGuy
Formerly known as schja01.
MVM
join:2000-04-27
Morton Grove, IL

JimThePCGuy

MVM

No local channels on the Roku.
Aereo possibly but that's limited to NYC.

Jon5
Premium Member
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL

Jon5 to jay608

Premium Member

to jay608
said by jay608:

I don't have one but my understanding is it basically just runs apps. Netflix, Amazon and whatever else. It's not a "receiver". You'd still need a provider or antenna to get regular TV.

cbrigante2
Wait til Next Year
Premium Member
join:2002-11-22
North Aurora, IL

cbrigante2

Premium Member

said by Jon5:

said by jay608:

I don't have one but my understanding is it basically just runs apps. Netflix, Amazon and whatever else. It's not a "receiver". You'd still need a provider or antenna to get regular TV.

I believe the official term is "Media Extender" for a Roku type device. With most HD sets these days you could go with an antenna for locals in HD and use a Roku type device for the other stuff...but I haven't used antenna for HD in a long while now so I don't know if CBS is still near impossible to get.

Nuckfuts
Premium Member
join:2003-10-18
Joliet, IL

Nuckfuts

Premium Member

I surprisingly get CBS in my area even though it is still the weakest of them all. He is in the city so he should pick it up quick well if I can get it all the way out here with an indoor antenna.