share rss forum feed

Fir_Na_Tine
Giggity Giggity
Premium
join:2001-01-03
Sout Joisy

[Rant] A/V cables

Yeah another audio & Video cables rant.

Picked up a new Yamaha A/V Receiver today. In a rave for them the salesman at HHgregg asked what price would it take for me to take it home today. I said bring it down to what it would cost me on Amazon and he did less $5 even.

My rant is, I needed a few extra cables (HDMI, Subwoofer cable, TosLink etc.)and I knew HHgregg and other stores charge out the ass for them. I tried RadioShack hoping they would carry cheap ones but no ,$35 for 6ft of HDMI $25 for the Subwoofer cable same for the TosLink. I went to Walmart and they had HDMI for $12 so I bought it along with Toslink for $18.

I came home and hooked it up to make sure it all works and everything is fine. I went on Monoprice and ordered up everything I needed, Toslink, 6ft HDMI, and two sub cables, plus y adapter and got it all for $17 shipped (20% off coupon code included). Should be here next week and then I will return the Walmart cables.

So I guess my rant is why can't there be a brick & mortar store that sells cables as low or even closer to Monoprice? Walmart came kinda close. Is it the overhead? I mean $35+ for HDMI is criminal. I'm sure if I bought all Ultra high quality cables at HHGregg the total would be almost the whole cost of the receiver. Guess its where they make their big profits by snookering unsuspecting customers.
--
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada

The local Dollarama sells 6' HDMI for 2 or 3 bucks... Picked up a few of them, they seem to work fine...

No idea what monoprice is at these days, but sure it can't be much less...

Bamafan2277

join:2008-09-20
Jeffersonville, IN
reply to Fir_Na_Tine

Brick and Mortar have a ton more overhead expenses compaired to monoprice. Monoprice has a cheaper warehouse type setup and has the web site to be their store front and they can process so many more sales that way than any of the box stores and Monoprice is geared toward a specialty range of products unlike the box stores that have a bunch of other stuff.

I usually buy the higher end from Mono price and still save 75% copaired to HH Gregg or other chains.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

1 recommendation

reply to Fir_Na_Tine

Radio Shack is no longer associated with cheap prices, only cheap merchandise.

battleop

join:2005-09-28

3 recommendations

reply to Fir_Na_Tine

"Should be here next week and then I will return the Walmart cables."

There's part of the reason why they cost more.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Vonage
reply to Bob4

said by Bob4:

Cheap low-quality merchandise with insane high prices.

BigBlarg

join:2008-02-10
Longueuil, QC
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX
reply to Fir_Na_Tine

The dollar store over here also sells HDMI cheap cables. I bought some 25 feets CAT-5E cables. They do seem really low quality and weak but they have been working fine on a 1GB connection since almost 2 years.

There are also 2 electronic/junk store that sells many kind of cables at a good price. (the kind of stores that remind me what Radioshack was when I was younger... except they are much bigger)

I still prefer Monoprice... they're not always cheaper but the quality is better.

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
reply to Fir_Na_Tine

said by Fir_Na_Tine:

Guess its where they make their big profits by snookering unsuspecting customers.

Precisely.

Their profit margins on big ticket items is very small, in some cases nonexistent. The accessories (cables, etc) is where they make all the money.

Those $150 "premium quality" HDMI cables cost less than $10 for the store to obtain from their supplier. HUGE profit margin there.

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
reply to Fir_Na_Tine

It's where they can screw customers, we have a local store here which operates as an online business, and has cheap cables. Stores pull the same crap with printers, and they only have cables starting at $20. I wasn't in a hurry, and got the cable I needed for a few bucks locally without shipping charges.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent out necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

join:2012-12-06
reply to Fir_Na_Tine

You should have placed the order with Monoprice before you stepped out the door on your way to H.H. Gregg. Worst case, you'd have a few cheap yet good cables on hand for the next time (so, maybe you should keep the Walmart cables as a reminder?); best case, you could sell 'em on ebay for a killing (pretend you're made of brick & mortar! ).
--
"...but ya doesn't hasta call me Johnson!"

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to LazMan

said by LazMan:

The local Dollarama sells 6' HDMI for 2 or 3 bucks... Picked up a few of them, they seem to work fine...

No idea what monoprice is at these days, but sure it can't be much less...

I picked some up too from the Dollarama, but they aren't 100%. If you device is picky at all, they don't work. My case was the projector didn't like the cord.

I ended up getting some from Dell...$20 for 4, which was about 1/3 regular price.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

dmagerl
Premium
join:2007-08-06
Woodstock, IL
reply to Fir_Na_Tine

Back in the days, when CompUSA first started up, they opened a store near my employer. My employer inked a corporate purchasing agreement with them that, among other things, gave employees a discount for shopping there. If we flashed our ID badges we paid cost +10% for anything in the store.

Now mind you, this was before online shopping really took off so there was no Amazon or Monoprice. You had to go to ComppUSA or Computer City if you wanted anything computer related. For big ticket items there wasnt much savings. In fact sometimes the price was above the posted price.

But for cables, now that was another story. Cables that had a shelf price of $20-$30 usually could be had for less than $2. The mark up on cables was simply unbelievable.

Well, CompUSA hit hard times and my employee discount changed to shelf price -10%. It wasnt anywhere near such a good deal anymore and shortly thereafter they went out of business.

PrntRhd
Premium
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Bob4

said by Bob4:

Circling the drain, sometime soon they will be the Shack-No-More.

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2
reply to Bob4

said by Bob4:

I never considered Radio Shack cheap on pricing. In the past, it was RS-branded products at high prices. Today, it's regular name brand products at average prices.

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2
reply to Fir_Na_Tine

For many people, they don't have the proper cables sitting at home and who wants to take home their brand-new TV, stereo, etc and not be able to enjoy it RIGHT NOW ? That's where they get people.

I've never paid more than $20 for a cable and have gotten them from monoprice, Walmart's clearance aisle (got a 6' optical cable for $2.99 over 10 years ago that still works just fine), Parts Express (they're local), Big Lots, etc. I believe, to a large degree, that if you plug them in and forget about them, they can last a very, very long time. It's handling too much or plugging/unplugging them that breaks them.

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
Reviews:
·Vonage
reply to PrntRhd

said by PrntRhd:

said by Bob4:

Circling the drain, sometime soon they will be the Shack-No-More.

The ones around here are always trying to push cell phone service/upgrades when ever I go in. I never have and never will give them my cell account info for any reason, but when ever I try and check out, they almost always ask for my number and starting questioning me about why I won't give it to them. I already know when I am due for upgrades and I always do it at the carriers o&o stores or Best Buy only.
--

Fiber Optics is the future of high-speed internet access. Stop by the BBR Fiber Optic Forum

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Midland, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

1 edit
reply to Fir_Na_Tine

Yeah they're that prices cause people will pay. I was in a store and a guy was looking at an HDMI cable I said you know the dollar store has those he said yeah but they're not gold platted. I just said ok. I could have went on but if people want to over spend not much you can do.

they work fine as I got a $2 3 feet one to hook up my in-laws roku I got them for x-mas to get HD netflix they was using the wii before and video looked god awful. that gold shit is a good selling point anyone really think they're going to put gold with good vulie on a fucking cable you plug into your TV.

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
kudos:4
reply to Fir_Na_Tine

I'm more surprised you bought a Yamaha A/V receiver from HHGregg...

Ever since they opened one here..I don't see good deals, not to mention the lower models compared to what you can get elsewhere...

Cthen

join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..
reply to Fir_Na_Tine

The only way you will find that kinda pricing is to do some research into more independent stores in your area. I find these guys won't gouge so much on these types of things. They might be a bit more than what you would find online but certainly not as much from the bigger retail companies.
--
"I like to refer to myself as an Adult Film Efficienato." - Stuart Bondek

Fir_Na_Tine
Giggity Giggity
Premium
join:2001-01-03
Sout Joisy
reply to medbuyer

said by medbuyer:

I'm more surprised you bought a Yamaha A/V receiver from HHGregg...

Ever since they opened one here..I don't see good deals, not to mention the lower models compared to what you can get elsewhere...

Actually I was surprised too. But from what I could find online $349 was the best price. They originally wanted more closer to $400. I already knew I could get it on Amazon for $349 shipped since I have Prime, I was even going to 1-day ship it for the extra $4 bucks. But to my surprise he came down to make it $347 total with tax so I went with them. I guess it comes out of their commission. He was a decent salesman too. They will work with you on price.
--
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix