uniqs
share rss forum feed

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
reply to NytOwl

Re: [Cable] Reason for no Static IP Availability for Cable Inter

You guys consistently misuse the term "Static IP". It drives me bonkers.

If anything its a "reserved IP" that's obtained via DHCP. That's all that DSL does as well is that your username is associated with an IP....

Just my rant for the day, also for cable, based on the administration...forget about having a reserved IP address...it'd just be too much admin work when all they do is assign blocks of IPs in the Scopes that are required for each segment...

Anywho, rant off...carry on.

Grump

join:2012-11-07
London, ON

Your misinformation is driving me bonkers. Who says a static has to be obtained via DHCP? Most static IP deployments are manually specified on the WAN interface because a DHCP server going down is a failure point. Also, DSL is typically PPPoE, which doesn't use DHCP for static IP assignments. It's usually done with Framed-IP-Address via radius.

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

2 edits
reply to nitzguy

said by nitzguy:

If anything its a "reserved IP" that's obtained via DHCP. That's all that DSL does as well is that your username is associated with an IP....

Just my rant for the day, also for cable, based on the administration...forget about having a reserved IP address...it'd just be too much admin work when all they do is assign blocks of IPs in the Scopes that are required for each segment...

It's the same thing! The whole point is the IP address does not change, hence static. It is irrelevant if its hard coded in some config file/registry or if its assigned via DHCP / IPCP (PPP).

funny0

join:2010-12-22
reply to nitzguy

said by nitzguy:

ya cause offering your usership the ability to be smart and run services of there own can't lead to more employment anywhere nor jobs or a more robust digital economy....

this is truly just attempt to monopolize there own services.
ITS ALSO WHY I DONT GET TSI CABLE.
so there rogers you lose just on that case alone