spc
Search similar:

uniqs
hypergiant
join:2012-12-27
Wesley Chapel, FL

hypergiant

new installation tomorrow!

Hello! I am switching from Brighthouse to FIOS tomorrow (internet service only, no TV or telephone).

I have a few questions, and figured this community would be more helpful than the verizon.com/forums.

First: The previous owners of my house had FIOS at one time and there is a tellabs ONT611 already in place. I would prefer to use my own router. Is it possible Verizon is planning to replace my ONT with a newer/updated one (one that may force me to use MoCA)?

Are there any reasons why I would want to use the supplied router? I know there are some issues for people who have TV service; but again, I do not plan to ever subscribe to Verizon TV or telephone services.

I have 16 runs of CAT6 to various rooms in my house which terminate to a racked 24-port gigabit switch in the garage. I am well prepared to utilize that infrastructure rather than the spaghetti mess of coax in my attic crawlspace. I'd also imagine the tech would rather not crawl up there to mess with the splitters when finding best gain in the room I would place THEIR router (if I was to use it), etc etc.

Is there anything else I should be prepared for or have ready? Any other considerations I should make before deciding to use my own router?

THANK YOU!

Mahalo
join:2000-12-20
united state

Mahalo

Can your router handle the speed? In WC, we can only get up to 75 I believe. If it can, there is no reason to use the VZ router. BTW, what part of WC do you live in?

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to hypergiant

MVM

to hypergiant
said by hypergiant:

Is it possible Verizon is planning to replace my ONT with a newer/updated one (one that may force me to use MoCA)?

Unlikely VZ would replace the ONT unless you're getting a speed tier that requires GPON. You did not indicate what speed tier you're getting.

There are no MOCA only ONTs.
said by hypergiant:

Are there any reasons why I would want to use the supplied router?

The VZ supplied router will be adequate for the speed tier you're getting. You didn't mention the router you have. Some older routers are not capable of supporting VZ's higher speed tiers.

The tech should be willing to provide a cat5 connection from the ONT, especially if it makes his install easier.

The tech will probably want to install the VZ router to ensure everything is working correctly with VZ equipment. Once he's done that, you're free to replace the Actiontec with your own router. Just be sure to release the DHCP lease before switching routers.
»Verizon FiOS FAQ »How do I release my DHCP lease? Why would I need to?
hypergiant
Wesley Chapel, FL

1 edit

hypergiant to Mahalo

to Mahalo
I'm in the Lakes across from the Publix at Bruce B Downs.

My router is a computer with two 1gig NICs running linux; shorewall, and a few other things... I've subscribed to the 50/25 plan so, theoretically, I'll never saturate the 100mbps link coming out of the ONT, right?
hypergiant

hypergiant to More Fiber

to More Fiber
said by More Fiber:

The tech should be willing to provide a cat5 connection from the ONT, especially if it makes his install easier.

The tech will probably want to install the VZ router to ensure everything is working correctly with VZ equipment. Once he's done that, you're free to replace the Actiontec with your own router. Just be sure to release the DHCP lease before switching routers.

Thanks! Does this mean that the router they provide only has an ethernet WAN port and no coax?
Expand your moderator at work

ilikeme
Premium Member
join:2002-08-27
Stafford, TX

ilikeme to hypergiant

Premium Member

to hypergiant

Re: new installation tomorrow!

said by hypergiant:

said by More Fiber:

Thanks! Does this mean that the router they provide only has an ethernet WAN port and no coax?

The router will have both and ethernet WAN and coax WAN ports.
hypergiant
Wesley Chapel, FL

hypergiant

Cool. I'll ask them to install using the ethernet WAN port on the provided router. That way if I run into any issues I can easily bypass it to directly connect my firewall to the ONT.

Thanks for your help, folks!

Mahalo
join:2000-12-20
united state

Mahalo to hypergiant

to hypergiant
Cool, right around the corner from you at 7 Oaks.