More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:31
reply to aziz786

Re: [Southwest] Second Actiontec on same ONT

said by aziz786:

I do not think I need a bridge so no LAN connection to the primary router is needed, correct?

The configuration documented in the FAQ, is a MOCA LAN bridge, so the label in your diagram is correct.

As others have mentioned, you can not have two MOCA WAN connections.

I think some of the confusion is arising from the fact that the Actiontec supports both MOCA WAN and MOCA LAN over the same coax connection.

If you don't disable the Broadband Coax (MOCA WAN) connection in the second router as directed in the FAQ, the two routers will fight for control of the MOCA WAN connection from the ONT.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

aziz786

join:2012-12-27
Plano, TX
Perfect More Fiber. I think you answered my confusion that Actiontec supports MOCA LAN over the coax connection. I was wondering where would the second router get it's "internet signal" from?

You all are great!

buckingham
Buckingham Pa
Premium
join:2005-07-17
Buckingham, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
Just to clarify, you would not be using the second ActionTek as a "router" in the valid configuration...it's only providing you with wired Ethernet (and wireless, if you choose) LAN connectivity in your home's local network on the second floor, using the Coax in the wall to extend the network up there. The primary ActionTek is your router and all devices would get their IP addresses and routing information from it...including the second ActionTek.

aziz786

Plano, TX
Thanks buckingham. I am getting a clearer picture with every post here.

I have an existing and free coax line on the second floor but no ethernet run. So I decided to purchase a $40 Actiontec from ebay as it will not only give me wired ethernet but also improve the wireless signal upstairs.

buckingham
Buckingham Pa
Premium
join:2005-07-17
Buckingham, PA
Yes, that's a great way to extend your network without pulling cable through, um...unpleasant places.

aziz786

Plano, TX
reply to More Fiber
So I successfully installed the second Actiontec as MoCA bridge. I also changed SSID to match the primary. I selected a different channel Should I change the WAP key to match the primary? How can I know for sure that the wifi devices upstairs are latching on to the remote modem.