Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to tcope

Re: Should we let the tenant move back in after the fire?

said by tcope:

said by Jack_in_VA:

It's amazing how much legal advice is on a home improvement forum from people with no training or a license to practice law .

I've been adjusting claims for about 25 years now. Have handled hundreds (if not in the thousands) of claims in suit (probably have 30 in suit right now), attended hundreds of settlement conferences, meditations and trials on insurance claims.

A renters policy covers the _renter_... not the building owner. It provides the renter personal property coverage and liability coverage. Even though liability payments go to 3rd parties, it actually protects (covers) the renter. The renter does not get a policy on a certain property or location... it insures the renters property where ever it's located and also provides liability coverage on the renter where ever that renter may be (usually limited to US locations).

I think where you are going down the wrong path is that the renters policy _does not_ insure the dwelling, as you mentioned. That is, it's not listed on the policy as an insured location with coverage (such as a home owners policy would). The renters policy provides the renter _liability_ coverage for when they are legally liable for _property damage_. If the home the renter rents just catches on fire and burns to the ground, the renters policy only provides the renter a defense as they are not legally liable. But if the renter _caused_ the home to burn down, the policy provides a defense in the form of a payment to the home owner.

I've provided a quote from a website explaining what coverage a renters policy provides. Feel free to search yourself to confirm this information.

I assume your experience in Utah as applicable to all the other states and to top it off you accuse me of going down the wrong path? I stated and stand by the renters policy I purchased for my dad specifically excluded any damage to the dwelling in writing. How much plainer can I make it? Has it ever occurred you that Utah may have completely different insurance regulations than other states? My X wife was a broker for about 50 insurance companies and spent many hours studying for the tests needed to get all the necessary licenses, so I'm not a complete idiot.

Bottom line is you still are not a legal expert and are not licensed to practice law which you are trying to do now. An insurance adjuster is in no way a legal source for information. All the information you post is just your opinion as you understand it and you should state that.

Right now I have my lawyers working on some issues for me. I sure as heck wont depend on a bunch of keyboard lawyers on a home improvement forum.

But all this is off topic so how about we get back to the fact the OP needs to get actual legal advice on allowing his renter back when repairs are made. We can speculate forever and accomplish nothing.

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·callwithus

The liability clause of the renter's insurance is what the landlord would rely upon in a case like this. The LL files a claim, his insurance company files a suit with the tenant's insurance company and they work it out as to who pays how much of the repair bill (beyond any deductible, of course, that the LL pays out of pocket).