StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2

Judge grants music student stalking order against parents

quote:
A US student has won a stalking order against her own parents after they followed her to university and installed tracking software on her computer and phone.

»www.news.com.au/lifestyle/parent···44468690
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium
join:2001-07-23
West Hartford, CT
kudos:1

1 recommendation

Here comes the helicopter -- second time today
Everybody scatters and hopes it goes away
How many kids they've murdered only God can say
If I had a rocket launcher...I'd make somebody pay.

-Bruce Cockburn [If I Had a Rocket Launcher]

Helicopter parents should be reined in, at some point. The judge decided that it was the proper point. Xanax for the parents might be indicated as well.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

said by DrStrange:

Helicopter parents should be reined in...

Sure but it's kinda ironic that Google. Facebook, three-letter agencies etc can track you all they want and that's ok
--

Madtown
Premium
join:2008-04-26
Madera, CA
reply to StuartMW

I'm sure glad my parents never accused me of doing drugs, if they did, I would have brought some (not use them just have them) just to prove a point.

IMO, parents who accuse their kids of doing drugs are just asking for that.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to StuartMW

they drove 621 miles at random or 1242mi round trip just to check in on their kid. that is not caring that is helicoptering.

That is a greater distance than Philadelphia to Columbus, OH
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium
join:2001-07-23
West Hartford, CT
reply to StuartMW

said by StuartMW:

said by DrStrange:

Helicopter parents should be reined in...

Sure but it's kinda ironic that Google. Facebook, three-letter agencies etc can track you all they want and that's ok

Helicopter corporations should be reined in before the helicopters turn into umbrellas.

Helicopter three-letter agencies should be reined in before the helicopters turn black and start multiplying.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

said by DrStrange:

Helicopter three-letter agencies should be reined in before the helicopters turn black and start multiplying.

I think we've missed the boat there
--

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

said by StuartMW:

said by DrStrange:

I think we've missed the boat there

yep now they are looking to save money already and moving to drones.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ
reply to StuartMW

Dang should have got a restraining order on my mom when I was younger. Wouldn't have helped as my mom has no boundaries. Plus brags about her no boundaries and doing and saying what she thinks need doing and saying.

Only thing those parents did have and I am sure the sick in the head one used against the daughter is paying for school.
I paid my own way except for health insurance. My mom says you need health insurance and it was free from my dads company as long as I was at school. Then of course because of that claimed on my parents income tax.
So no financial aid or most scholarships for me as dad made too much even though I worked my way through college. Yet my mom never let me forget how they put me through college. ( The free health insurance dad had for me). I paid everything else.

Fortunately cells were not common back then and so simple no tracking in the same way like they have now, My wife and I finally upgraded to decent cell phones now. Was trying out the mapping software and most of the time it placed me in what room of the house I was in. Told wife if we ever cheated on each other she would know if I was in my girlfriends kitchen or bedroom.

hurleyp

join:2000-06-20
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to StuartMW

These (ahem) otherwise normal parents seemed to have enough tech-savvy to be able to locate, install, configure and use tracking and key-logging software on their daughter's computer and phone.

There was a time when this kind of spy-ware was not user-friendly, much less a product for the masses.
--
"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

goalieskates
Premium
join:2004-09-12
land of big
reply to StuartMW

Now that is just pathetic. Not the daughter, the parents.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to StuartMW

It seems there's a lot of "proven" details undisclosed about the entire episode, so it's hard to say what really went down and why. Much of what's out there is he-said, she-said. What I do know is that if you can't simply have a civil, persuasive chat with your 21-year-old daughter about the topics claimed in the story, it's way too late to try either spanking or "stalking". At 21 (and perhaps at 18), the parents have zero legal authority. The whole thing's more than a little sad, actually.
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

said by Blackbird:

The whole thing's more than a little sad, actually.

+1
--

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

1 edit

said by StuartMW:

said by Blackbird:

The whole thing's more than a little sad, actually.

+1

Yes it is. I can remember when my wife and I attended meetings for a support group. There was one mother there that every time a member of her family was asked a question she would immediately answer for them. So I can fully understand why the judge ruled as he or she did. But I would tend to say there are more than likely things that have happened in the past and full story is not be presented.

goalieskates
Premium
join:2004-09-12
land of big
reply to Blackbird

said by Blackbird:

It seems there's a lot of "proven" details undisclosed about the entire episode, so it's hard to say what really went down and why. Much of what's out there is he-said, she-said.

Yep. The closest thing I could find was this from KCTV.

Some of the quotes:
quote:
Neighbors described a tight-knit family and proud parents who worked hard to give their only child anything she wanted, but said they could be too overprotective.
---
"My mom has always been very overly involved," Aubrey Ireland told ABC News. "I would have to get on Skype all the time to show them that I was in my dorm room or there were nights I had to leave my Skype on all night and my mom would watch me basically sleep."

Her attorney told media outlets Friday that his client did the ABC interview without his knowledge and declined to make her available for additional interviews.

"They basically thought that they were paying for my college tuition and living expenses that they could tell me what to do, who to hang out with," Aubrey Ireland said. "Basically control all of my daily life."
Funny, but my dad pretty much felt the same way. He just didn't spend that kind of money on me; I was expected to work. (It didn't hurt me.) Poor Aubrey sounds like a typical teen there, not an adult.

So really, this story could go either way. The parents could be nuts, Aubrey could be a manipulator out for fame (which she got), or a little of both. The judge did the only feasible thing, really.

Just don't be calling home for more money, Aubrey.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

said by goalieskates:

Just don't be calling home for more money, Aubrey.

Or asking mom to do your laundry
--

BandHeight

join:2004-08-30
reply to DrStrange

said by DrStrange:

Here comes the helicopter -- second time today
Everybody scatters and hopes it goes away
How many kids they've murdered only God can say
If I had a rocket launcher...I'd make somebody pay.

-Bruce Cockburn [If I Had a Rocket Launcher]

-- snip --

Reading this thread was made complete by the ride you took me on with your Wayback Machine.