spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ps3iscool

join:2012-12-27

1 edit

Installing Fiber For Internet connection?

Is it possible to get Telus to install fiber to my house so i can get fiber internet? How much would it cost, Thanks? Would i be eligible for faster speed such as 200MB/S?

Or should i just get Shaw $150?

pfak
Premium
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC
Probably $20,000 or more. Plus a couple thousand dollars a month.

Troll?
--
The more I C, the less I see.

jtl999
CEO of Actiontec Dev Team

join:2012-11-24
In the GVRD
kudos:4
My dads office in Vancouver has that.
50/50

ps3iscool

reply to ps3iscool
Lol, things cost a lot of money. It's only 20k though ? I take baths in 20k LOL. Joking!! hahahaha, hopefully one day i will .

Guess i will stick with Telus 25MB >.. Good enough .... Plus no one really can even send data speeds of 3.0MB/S

Ikarasu

join:2004-01-09
Port Coquitlam, BC
Depends what you do. I maxed my 100M on usenet plenty of times. Nothing like getting a TV show in 30 seconds.

ps3iscool

said by Ikarasu:

Depends what you do. I maxed my 100M on usenet plenty of times. Nothing like getting a TV show in 30 seconds.

What is usenet i heard it a lot of times.

Ikarasu

join:2004-01-09
Port Coquitlam, BC
reply to ps3iscool
A useless place for chatting. forget I mentioned it /invoke rule #1

BadMagpie

join:2011-02-05
About a month ago Telus called me and offered me a deal on Telus TV. Now I don't have a TV in my house, but I have Internet and a land line with them. The representative offered to run fibre to my house, which is strange since the house was built in 1950. Would they actually come out and do that?

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
kudos:5
In some areas, telcos are deploying brownfield (i.e. not in a new, or greenfield housing development) fibre. More likely it is fibre to the node (FTTN) DSL though.
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

BadMagpie

reply to ps3iscool
Just 200 metres away there are already three cabinets fed by fibre. Do they mean that?

openwire

join:2012-12-28
Victoria, BC
said by BadMagpie:

Just 200 metres away there are already three cabinets fed by fibre. Do they mean that?

Are they green or almond coloured? Green ones are typically fibre fed with copper distribution, and almond coloured ones are all fibre. Also, have you got aerial or underground distribution near your house?

If you've got aerial distribution, look for these up there. They're fibre terminals.

BadMagpie

The cabinets are a pale green colour. And also I believe I have aerial distribution: there's a cable going from the DEMARC all the way to the telephone pole in the back lane behind the house.
I'll have to take a closer look for those when I get back from holidays. (I had to use Google Earth to actually look at them from so far away )

jjross

join:2012-09-27
reply to ps3iscool
I have Fiber to my house. Telus installed it a few months ago when they upgraded me to Optik 25. It sucks because it's still only 2 up but it's better than DSL. No "modem" required.

Perhaps it depends on the city / neighbourhood that you are in. For reference, I'm in Calgary / Cranston.

TierX

join:2009-01-20
Canada
kudos:8
reply to BadMagpie
said by BadMagpie:

Does the cabinet say 'FDH' on it ? If not, then you're simply on VDSL2 FTTN.