Premium
join:2003-02-10
Decatur, GA
kudos:3
reply to gzt7d8

Re: [Updated] Classic Shell..Ver.3.6.4..Dec 26/12

said by gzt7d8:

Yep got it.

Haven't had any problems yet other than one dislike, I haven't found a way in the Classic Shell settings to have Control Panel view in Category instead of Icon.

That is not a Classic Shell option or problem. In Control Panel click on the View by: down arrow and select Large Icons. It will stay like that if you always select "All Control Panel Items" in the breadcrums bar but if you select the ROOT Control Panel it will go back to Category view, until you change it again.
--
Shooter Ready--Stand By BEEP ********

gzt7d8
Aliens live amongst us
Premium
join:2001-07-13
Swartz Creek, MI
Reviews:
·Charter

said by Shootist:

said by gzt7d8:

Yep got it.

Haven't had any problems yet other than one dislike, I haven't found a way in the Classic Shell settings to have Control Panel view in Category instead of Icon.

That is not a Classic Shell option or problem. In Control Panel click on the View by: down arrow and select Large Icons. It will stay like that if you always select "All Control Panel Items" in the breadcrums bar but if you select the ROOT Control Panel it will go back to Category view, until you change it again.

I don't have the problem if I go to Control Panel (via Win 8 methods) bypassing the link in Classic Shell. The view stays as Category, I only have the problem if I use the link in Classic Shell. Changing it and returning doesn't fix it at all.
--
"It's not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change."
Charles Darwin

Shootist
Premium
join:2003-02-10
Decatur, GA
kudos:3

Sorry not using Win 8 and more then likely never will. So I have no idea what CS link you are speaking of. In Win 7, CS, Classic start menu when I click on Settings/Control Panel I get my Large Icon view as I have it set that way.

Maybe they will make that an option as they are always working to make CS better.
--
Shooter Ready--Stand By BEEP ********

Gem
Premium
join:2005-09-10
kudos:4
Reviews:
·CableOne

said by Shootist:

Sorry not using Win 8 and more then likely never will.

I tried W8 via the $39 MSFT digital download upgrade option. The upgrade that way took a while and was a bit of a hassle, but much to my surprise, after dumping the Metro desktop and after adding Classic Shell, I like it. There is a user perception that it's faster than Windows 7.

To get a 64 version of W8 via the digital upgrade option I believe you must also be upgrading an underlying 64bit version of windows, however.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

There are things I hate in Win 8 but Classic Start gives you Win 7 start NOT classic XP start which is what I would want. Since I can't have that...I'll live with no start button. What I don't like is that any inadvertent mouse movement brings the charms bar and, worse, that gigantic black clock. I don't know why that clock shows when you make an inadvertent mouse movement and get the charms bar showing. I'd love to have those two things gone...but I don't want Win 7 Start or even XP start that is NOT XP classic start and even though Classic Shell calls itself that it does not provide classic XP start rather classic Win 7 start.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson