said by Snakeoil:

AMD Athalon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3600+
2GB of Ram
Ubuntu 12.04LTS
1920x1080 pixels
Geoforce 7600 GT.

Old faithful. With a 46" 1080p TV.

Wow runs fine on linux

I see you are running Ubuntu. I have a HTPC (Zotac Zbox) that I was thinking of converting into a WoW box. How does WoW run on Ubuntu? What sort of FPS do you get in raids? My machine is one of the older Zboxes. I upgraded to 4gb DDR2 800 ram and added an SSD. I think its an intel ion 1.6 processor though.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1
I don't do raids, I mostly solo.
I haven't really looked at the FPS, but the few times I do, it's below 20. I dunno if it's because of the drivers, or the slow rendering of the game. There are times I'll fly to an area and have to wait a few seconds [up to 10 or so] for that area to fully load.
But it does good enough for me,better then the windows box I have up stairs.
I think the reason why is because my windows box seems real sluggish after all the updates it's had to do. I don't know why windows slows down after a few hundred updates, but my ubuntu box doesn't seem bothered by it's updates.
If that makes any sense.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

Criticals

join:2010-05-30
I understand what you are saying. Unfortunately 20 FPS is a no go for me because I mainly want to come back and try casual raiding. Maybe challenge modes. Thank you though for the information.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1
Click for full size
I managed to get a screen shot, using an addon called multishot. For what ever reason, WOW crashes, because a window pops up asking me where I want to save the file. I haven't taken the time to figure out why WOW "locks up" or "crashes" when another program forces it to the background. I typically run wow full screen.
I'm using Titan panel to get the FPS/Bandwidth usage, because when I mouse over the "computer" on the wow menu bar I get 0mps for bandwidth. Certain things work fine in Linux, other things don't. I can mostly live with it.

I plan on getting a job early next year [a part time one], and I plan on upgrading my hardware. So hopefully, I can improve performance. The PC is also wifi connected, not wired. I'm not buying windows 8, so I'll be sticking with unbuntu. I just hope Nvidia has better drivers for linux when I get there.

*edit*
I should go to my windows PC and fire up wow and take a snap. Then post it here as well. But I think the FPS will be close to the linux box.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10
said by Snakeoil:

I'm using Titan panel to get the FPS/Bandwidth usage, because when I mouse over the "computer" on the wow menu bar I get 0mps for bandwidth.

This should be 0mbps unless the Repair on Demand is kicking in.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP