FIOS is Awesome
Premium
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

FIOS Install Questions

I have some questions about FIOS installation.

I have a two family brick house.

- The entry point is around the ceiling area of the 1st floor and drops from there into the basement utility closet.

- We currently have two drops with a total of 16 phone pairs. Of this 4 to 5 are in use.

== 1 line for 1st floor residential number
== 1 line for the 2nd floor residential number
== 4 lines on separate business accounts for a home business.
== The rest are currently spare and were installed many many years back for growth (before VOIP, etc).
== Off hand I believe this is in 3 NIDS today.

Questions:

1. From a FIOS perspective, if we wanted to replace the copper drops with the fiber, how many runs would be required and how many ONT boxes?

2. Will the run into the house be an issue for the fiber? I am not sure if they are using that new flexible fiber for the drop into the house?

3. I assume once we hit the DMARC, the Utility closet in basement, I can then use my existing RG6 COAX to reach the rooms for television service?

4. I can terminate my Internet connection at the utility closet but for the tenant in the 2nd floor, would the COAX carry the TV and Internet to the modem / cable boxes on that floor?

5. For the business phone lines, I am wondering if now would be a good time to switch them to digital voice? I assume that is not taxed as heavily?

Thanks!!
--
1/22/2012 Delegate Count
Newt 25 | Romney 14 | Ron Paul 10 | Santorum 8

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:32
1) Is your intent to move all the current lines to fiber? Do you plan to keep the split between residential and business accounts? If you're in a GPON area, VZ can install an Alcatel O-821G-D ONT or Motorola 1500-GT that supports 8 POTS lines.
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »What are the different models of ONTs?

Not sure if VZ can split the billing for POTS lines on the same ONT between business and residential. If they can, they only one fiber run is needed. If VZ requires separate ONTs for business and residential lines, then 2 fiber drops would be required.

BTW, your arithmetic doesn't add up. You list 6 lines, but say 4-5 are in use.

2) No.

3) yes

4) The coax would provide TV signal to the 2nd floor. The tenant would not be able to have a separate WAN connection for his router over the same coax. You could provide a LAN connection over the coax however.
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »Can I get an ethernet connection in a room with only coax?

Providing TV and/or internet service to tenant is a violation of VZ's residential Terms of Service (TOS).
»my.verizon.com/central/vzc.porta···s&id=TOS

5) Correct. DV has fewer taxes.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
reply to PhoenixDown
Thanks...

For # 4, the intent would be for the tenant to order their own FIOS service. I believe it's a selling point and frankly, I dont want the complications if they download a torrent that gets flagged or order pay per view movies for their children.

Today with TWC, the tech will have the splitter for the cable modem and the cable tv boxes in the 2nd floor.

edit: yes, the business and residential accounts would stay separate.

--
1/22/2012 Delegate Count
Newt 25 | Romney 14 | Ron Paul 10 | Santorum 8

Pher9999

join:2011-07-06
Carmel, NY
reply to PhoenixDown
You can have Business and Residential on the same ONT, Just can get confusing. I've had Business internet and phone, and residential phone and TV on the same ONT. All to the same house. However I recommend like others to have separate ONT for Tenant and one for you.