spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bbs1995

join:2012-12-28

[Other] Connecting 2 computers over the internet

Hi there. I am a newbie when it comes to networking, however I would appreciate your advice on the following matter:

Comp X (located in NYC) --- VerizonFiOS 20/20 --- Cisco router
Comp Y (located in Toronto) --- Hitron modem (Rogers) --- Cisco router

I would like to connect Comp Y to Comp X and use Comp X's IP address? What exactly do I need to do? I am aware there are services out there that provide VPN/DNS services that can mask the IP, however I would like to be able to do it myself, since I am already paying for 2 services in both cities.

I have done some reading and I believe that a VPN connection between Comp X and Comp Y would be to slow to allow Comp Y to use streaming services (ie Netflix). What are my other options? Would I be able to setup a DNS server on Comp X so that Comp Y would be able to connect to it? If yes, how would I be able to go about doing that (ie what software/hardware would I need)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated !

sivran
Seamonkey's back
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
kudos:1
At 20/20 a VPN shouldn't be too slow really. But, you could always set up an FTP server, and then transfer a file back and forth a few times to test the speed. Hamachi would be a quick 'n dirty way to do a VPN.

A DNS server running on X would get you nowhere in terms of proxying your connection through X.
--
Think Outside the Fox.

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18
reply to bbs1995
Precisely WHY are you looking to do what you are trying to do bbs1995 See Profile, as you haven't clearly explained
what your end goal of this is?

From reading over your post, it sounds like you want your Toronto site to get your NYC's site's public IP address
so you can hit Netflix, is that correct? Or did I miss it completely?

Regards

bbs1995

join:2012-12-28
You got it! I'm tired of not being able to watch 'the real Netflix' when I'm in Toronto. Any words of wisdom?

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9

1 recommendation

said by bbs1995:

Any words of wisdom?

Don't go to Toronto.

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18
reply to bbs1995
If you know networking and have the right equipment, sure you could do this with your existing setup.
What make / model are the said "cisco" routers? Are they real Cisco routers, or Linksys by Cisco kit?

Otherwise, look into a VPN or proxy provider that offers IP addresses globally. The VPN forum on the
board may have some links you may find helpful -- try this one for starters

Otherwise, RDP'ing into a comp at the NY location and accessing the web that way may be an option.

My 0000010bits.

Regards