spc
uniqs
alanisrox69
join:2005-03-29

alanisrox69 to steverweaver

to steverweaver

Re: [Speed] Bethlehem slow internet at peak hours

said by steverweaver:

Its now 1 am.. and i am now getting 38 mbps.. could this be that there are too many customers in my area? I thought this was fixed with docsis 3.0

Basically, yes. Even with D3.0, nodes can be oversold. The only D3.0 gives you is 4 downstream channels of bandwidth versus 1. But if there are 30 customers on each of the 4 channels all leeching at 20mbps, you're screwed.
steverweaver
join:2011-09-02
Bethlehem, PA

steverweaver

But why is this happening now? It just started 2 weeks ago and I would think it would only effect it little by little.. I consistently got 75 Mbps every day.. Then all of a sudden.. I get 2-10.. Which is completely unusable
alanisrox69

alanisrox69

said by steverweaver:

But why is this happening now? It just started 2 weeks ago and I would think it would only effect it little by little.. I consistently got 75 Mbps every day.. Then all of a sudden.. I get 2-10.. Which is completely unusable

Are you sure your modem is locked onto 4 downstream channels? Did you try resetting it?
steverweaver
Bethlehem, PA

steverweaver

Click for full size
alanisrox69

alanisrox69

Wow your power levels are pretty high, -12 to +12 is what RCN recommends (-6 to +6 is real world "good"), so +14 is really out of spec. Do you notice when your speed is faster/slower if those signal levels change at all?
steverweaver
Bethlehem, PA

steverweaver

they don't change at all.. they have been that way since the cable was run.. even when i had 75 mbps every day it was like that
Expand your moderator at work
steverweaver

steverweaver

Re: [Speed] Bethlehem slow internet at peak hours

haha.. i was happy with rcn until now
jackal2001
join:2002-10-04
Bethlehem, PA

1 edit

jackal2001

For some reason this happens during the winter. Over the past few years it seems like internet speeds come to a crawl. I don't know why either.
I normally don't measure my speeds off the speedtests either as I think the burst speed throws it off. I pay for a giganews account and normally watch the speeds while downloading from their servers. Most of the time I'm in the mid 60s. Like you, I'm only seeing at most in the 20s now. All my signals are in the green per the speed test page.
For giggles I just ran speedtest.net and got 21Mbps down/9Mbps Up.

So it seems like all with all the area posts, the entire Lehigh Valley is having speed issues. What is going on RCN?
steverweaver
Bethlehem, PA

steverweaver

this is absolutely ridiculous.. I am getting 2 mbps and under right now at 830.. all i want to do is play a stinking video game and it is lagging all over the place.. this is unacceptable.
negativeduck
Premium Member
join:2002-02-14
Centreville, VA

negativeduck

Premium Member

stever, can you repost your encoded... the first one seems to be missing either the front or the back.
steverweaver
Bethlehem, PA

steverweaver

Encoded Mac: 49d0d377ea40e184f40005785849cc5f93882f4c