how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

storrnyc

join:2012-12-29

New subscriber

Hello

I am in southern Westchester and will be having my triple play install on Monday. Moving from Fios purely on price. Same service will be +50 cheaper.

Any lookouts to watch out for? I have not had old school cable since a few years back in Brooklyn and that was never a fun experience.

I would love the latest box/UI and a reasonably new router. Any way to ensure that I have that and not technology from 2004. I know I am probably expecting too much but any thoughts would be great. Cheers!

RobertMets12

join:2010-10-16
Yes one lookout is you could lose 19 channels on the 1st. There could be a dispute with Viacom. You could lose channels like Tv Land, Nick and Comedy Central to name a few.

jaa
Premium
join:2000-06-13
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Optimum Online
reply to storrnyc
You might want to check if they are supplying a router - some promotions include a wireless router, and some do not.
--
NOTHING justifies terrorism. We don't negotiate with terrorists. Those that support terrorists are terrorists.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to storrnyc
said by storrnyc:

Same service will be +50 cheaper.

Probably not the same. OOL is probably slower than what you're used to.

Ricanlegend

join:2011-05-18
Bronx, NY
said by Bob4:

said by storrnyc:

am pretty sure he will be happy with the $600 he will save during the first year, after that you can always go back to Verizon as a new customer And keep doing this as long as you want

storrnyc

Pretty much what I will do. Are there any hardware Pieces I should request/stay away from?

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
kudos:1
reply to storrnyc
Try to get Samsung boxes. You will most likely get a Docsis 3 modem
--
Romney - Ryan 2012
Christie 2016

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to storrnyc
You'll get whatever the installer (who is a contractor, not a Cablevision employee) has on his truck. When I had my Cablevision service installed, the installer gave me the wrong box (HD instead of SD), which was dirty and had a cracked case. I had to drive 30 miles to a Cablevision store to get the proper box.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to Ricanlegend
said by Ricanlegend:

said by Bob4:

said by storrnyc:

am pretty sure he will be happy with the $600 he will save during the first year,

Unless he thinks the CV network DVR works like the Fios whole-house DVR. He'll be in for a rude awakening.

storrnyc

Only getting one box for the living room. I have forbidden the wife to save anything like real housewives of.... this time around.

HardwareGeek

join:2003-11-15
Brooklyn, NY
Even if she doesn't record anything good luck having anything you want recorded, recorded.

My mom has free dvr plus or what ever its called and it works only when it feels like it.
--
Email/MSN: Michael at hardwaregeeks.comAIM: MikeR35292

TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA
kudos:3
Does Southern Westchester have the DVR Plus, I thought they still had the 8300?

storrnyc

Install was both painful and painless. Not an overly happy technician on a NYE day just wanting to go quick and no chat. Was given a Samsung SMT-C5320 ST box, an ARRIS TM822 modem and a Netgear WNDR3400 router. The STB has the new UI(which my old company designed). They are yet to still add my international calling and the DVR+ was not set up at all. After calling the DVR service was added but its painfully slow to record a show or update the recorded list. Unmanageably slow. Hopefully its because it was only just added....

The misses loves the ipad app. she has not looked up at the main screen yet....

jaa
Premium
join:2000-06-13
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Optimum Online

1 recommendation

said by storrnyc:

The misses loves ...

Does anything else matter??

And welcome to DSLR.
--
NOTHING justifies terrorism. We don't negotiate with terrorists. Those that support terrorists are terrorists.

HardwareGeek

join:2003-11-15
Brooklyn, NY
reply to storrnyc
no your dvr+ is unmanageable slow because it's crap and it will always be like that.
--
Email/MSN: Michael at hardwaregeeks.comAIM: MikeR35292

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
said by HardwareGeek:

no your dvr+ is unmanageable slow because it's crap and it will always be like that.

Welcome to Cablevision!

blacknoi

join:2004-11-06
Stanhope, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to storrnyc
said by Bob4:

said by HardwareGeek:

Welcome to Cablevision!

I'd say if the OP wants a fast UI response time and the ability to pause/rewind live tv for their DVR, they should look into a TiVo

Tivo is equal in $$ on a monthly fee level for Service plus 1 CableCard rental, but there's at least a $50 or more hardware purchase price you have to factor in.

Tivo is also compatible with Fios so if/when the OP switchs back you can take the Tivo with you. It just won't work with satellite.

storrnyc

reply to storrnyc
Another newbie question. Some shows I can series record but others seem to only allow recording one show at a time. Any thoughts? Typical example of being only able to record on show at a time was Property Brothers on HGTV.

Thoughts?

storrnyc

reply to storrnyc
One more for kicks - how do people tend to check their voicemail? The only digital solution I found was to have some form of gadget in igoogle. This does not work on an iPhone.

Is it really the only way to actually call the voicemail number?

dm145

join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
said by storrnyc:

One more for kicks - how do people tend to check their voicemail? The only digital solution I found was to have some form of gadget in igoogle. This does not work on an iPhone.

select you area code for access number

»optimum.custhelp.com/app/answers···oicemail

storrnyc

Thanks. I just wish it would email/message a wav file to me...

StudioTech
Off The Air

join:2001-10-10
Edison, NJ
said by storrnyc:

Thanks. I just wish it would email/message a wav file to me...

That can be setup through the optimum.net website.

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

join:2008-05-28
reply to storrnyc
said by storrnyc:

You could set it up to email you each voice mail as they come in. You just need to remember to periodically go in (either via web portal or call in) and clear manually the messages from your mailbox.

storrnyc

reply to StudioTech
I can see a way to get an email notification but not the actual message in a wav file.

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-30
Piscataway, NJ
said by storrnyc:

I can see a way to get an email notification but not the actual message in a wav file.

When Optimum Voice e-mails you the new voiemail it is in .WAV format.