spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

hydra001

join:2012-12-29

Need Help

I currently own a Sonicwall Tz 100 and it has been great.
»sonicwall.com/us/en/products/TZ_100.html

I would like to add a wifi solution in the tz100, sonicwall calls it sonicpoint 1 »sonicwall.com/us/en/products/Son···and.html
sonicwall.com/us/en/products/Son···and.html

Adding any of the Sonicpoint wifi solution above is expensive, is there a way that i can add a wifi solution to the tz 100 at an afffordable solution say like $100 to $150 from a diff manufacturer?

if you have the answer from a diff manufacturer, please post it so i may review it.

Thanks

tomdlgns
Premium
join:2003-03-21
Chicago, IL
kudos:1

i assume this is for a business?

the nice thing about the sonicpoint is that it works well and is managed via the sonicwall. if you have multiple sonicpoints they are all controlled in the sonicwall firewall.

what are your requirements?

does it need to have the ability to have multiple SSIDs?
PoE power, only?
need to be able to setup vlans?

if you just want basic wifi, a basic wifi router (dhcp disabled) or standard AP should do the trick, but it all comes down to what you need.

hydra001

this is mainly for home use to connect ipads and amazon fire HD. Any particular brand that you would recommend for AP's?

Thanks

tomdlgns
Premium
Chicago, IL

sure

»www.amazon.com/Cisco-E1200-Links···s+router

hydra001

forgive me for being redundant, all i have to do is buy any wifi router and disable dhcp and it will not interfere with the operation of my sonicwall tz100?

thanks again

Brano
I hate Vogons
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Fibe

You get a WiFi router, connect it to your main Sonicwall router via LAN port (from LAN port on the Sonicwall to LAN port on the WiFi router). Disable DHCP server on the wifi router and assign it static IP on your Sonicwall's LAN.

Then configure wireless settings (SSID, security) and you're done.

hydra001

thanks

tomdlgns
Premium
Chicago, IL
reply to hydra001

said by hydra001:

forgive me for being redundant, all i have to do is buy any wifi router and disable dhcp and it will not interfere with the operation of my sonicwall tz100?

thanks again

correct.

make sure to assign it a static ip and disable DHCP on it and keep it LAN to LAN. you will not use the WAN/Internet port on the wireless router.

that was already mentioned by Brano.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:4

2 edits
reply to hydra001

Dont just choose any wifi router. Be at least a bit picky.
From reading the forums regularly (although a zyxel var), look at the netgear R6300.
That is best suited for for new products (ipads, smart phones etc) N only. If you have lots of b/g stuff as well then your probably better off with the netgear WNDR4500.

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:17
reply to hydra001

said by tomdlgns:

if you just want basic wifi, a basic wifi router (dhcp disabled) or standard AP should do the trick,

Seconded. Then pick your wireless router as you need / want.

Regards

hydra001

reply to hydra001

Thanks for the feedback everyone