All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

MarvinMagic
@comcast.net

MarvinMagic

Anon

Ocean County, NJ- Anything new expected for 2013?

I'm on the Comcast of Ocean County system (Brick, Pt. Pleasant, Pt. Pleasant Beach, Bay Head & Mantoloking) and was wondering if there is anything new on the horizon for 2013? Will this be the year that we finally get multi-room DVR, remote DVR scheduling, caller id on tv and other advanced features? The only thing I'm aware of is the annual rate increases.

Thanks in advance for any info provided.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium Member
join:2008-01-06

beachintech

Premium Member

My guess would be rebuilding and getting the plant back to 100% will be first priority.
Russ6
join:2011-03-17
Houston, TX

Russ6 to MarvinMagic

to MarvinMagic
said by MarvinMagic :

I'm on the Comcast of Ocean County system (Brick, Pt. Pleasant, Pt. Pleasant Beach, Bay Head & Mantoloking) and was wondering if there is anything new on the horizon for 2013? Will this be the year that we finally get multi-room DVR, remote DVR scheduling, caller id on tv and other advanced features? The only thing I'm aware of is the annual rate increases.

Thanks in advance for any info provided.

If you are in a Cisco/SA STB area, you should get remote DVR scheduling and caller id on the TV in the first quarter of 2013.

You should get AnyRoom DVR later in 2013 or 2014.

I think most Motorola STB areas already have these.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to MarvinMagic

to MarvinMagic
I'm hoping this time around Comcast will use top of the line equipment and spare no expenses. They have the money to afford it. I must say that in my little township of Beachwood we didn't have any outages or problems during the hurricane and following snowstorm even after we lost power and went on UPS battery backups. Was essential to helping with the coordination with the county officials.
TurboDan
join:2006-06-08
Lavallette, NJ

TurboDan

said by Mike Wolf:

I'm hoping this time around Comcast will use top of the line equipment and spare no expenses. They have the money to afford it. I must say that in my little township of Beachwood we didn't have any outages or problems during the hurricane and following snowstorm even after we lost power and went on UPS battery backups. Was essential to helping with the coordination with the county officials.

Same in Brick and LBI (I have an account on each of those systems). As soon as the power came back on, TV, HSI and phone were all fine.

The LBI office was flooded (operations have moved to Manahawkin) but aside from that I don't think any part of the physical system seemed to be down, except perhaps in Mantoloking where the island was cut by "the breach." That would just be a matter of running new lines, though, which would probably take only a day or two of labor (they probably already completed this).

South of Brick the entire barrier island is served by Cablevision anyway, so Comcast doesn't have to worry about that part of the coast at all. Why Comcast never bought out that odd swath of Cablevision territory and rolled it into either the Ocean or TR systems, I have no idea.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Dunno, but from what I'm hearing Comcast wants to phase out the Cisco/SA equipment and start putting everyone on Motorola in New Jersey (They say New Jersey is the last area that needs this done) That's why the new X1 equipment is universal, being identified as legacy SA boxes on Cisco/SA markets and Motorola boxes on Motorola markets. When I asked how Comcast was going to pressure customers to adopt the new equipment (Like the majority of customers in Toms River are in senior communities), they said they'll put a stop gap on the system so the Cisco/SA equipment will keep working until everyone is able to swap out for Motorola gear. This is going take many years for it to be completed so I'm not really worried right now.

Floppy
join:2002-07-03

Floppy

said by Mike Wolf:

Dunno, but from what I'm hearing Comcast wants to phase out the Cisco/SA equipment and start putting everyone on Motorola in New Jersey (They say New Jersey is the last area that needs this done) That's why the new X1 equipment is universal, being identified as legacy SA boxes on Cisco/SA markets and Motorola boxes on Motorola markets. When I asked how Comcast was going to pressure customers to adopt the new equipment (Like the majority of customers in Toms River are in senior communities), they said they'll put a stop gap on the system so the Cisco/SA equipment will keep working until everyone is able to swap out for Motorola gear. This is going take many years for it to be completed so I'm not really worried right now.

Don't believe everything you hear. Having multiple vendors keeps the others from price gouging.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

As long as we're not forced to use switched digital video I'm happy. I'm just really hoping we see Guide 2.0 really soon and it will run on the Cisco RNG200N gear. Also curious as to what software S26 brings to the table. I'd love if Comcast would allow a "recording default" option to be present so we can set the DVR to "save until I delete" automatically when you make a recording instead of having to manually set it before each recording.

bubba5
@comcast.net

bubba5 to MarvinMagic

Anon

to MarvinMagic
Has anyone heard anything about new HD channels for Comcast North West New Jersy. We haven't received any in about 2 plus years?

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to Mike Wolf

MVM

to Mike Wolf
Wow Mike, I see that you got a response from Ted Hodgins (aka "ComcastTeds") to a whole bunch of your questions on the "New Features for Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco Cable Boxes" thread on Comcast Help and Support Forum.

Everything from getting the X1 guide on existing cable boxes and larger DVR expanders, to the Master Channel Lineup (said to be continuing to roll out this year): »forums.comcast.com/t5/Xf ··· 7#M63740

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Yup, quite surprised by the fast and thorough response. I do hope everything remains on schedule

mountlaurel
@comcast.net

mountlaurel

Anon

Just looked at my February bill online. No New channels being added for Garden State, NJ system.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Hearing some rumblings about the S26 guide update for the Cisco/SA markets. »Re: New Guides for SA/Cisco Areas (Info from Ted Hodgins Blog)

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4 to Mike Wolf

to Mike Wolf
Doubt it. You will get the same features that the motorola iguide people have. Nothing new. Also guide 2.0 deployment is stopped. They are devoting those resources to have the x1 guide/box out ASAP.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

I agree and knew about the guide 2.0 halt in deployment which sucks cause it was a good interface.
Unfortunately they don't seem to be using any resources out to get the S26 software and cablecard firmware to our area.

George D
@comcast.net

George D to MarvinMagic

Anon

to MarvinMagic
I have comcast of Toms River, and have been noticing for the past week or so that my HD, DVR box has been freezing for about 5-10 seconds no matter the channel that is being watched. Anyone else notice this recently? I do not have any other hd, dvr boxes in my house to see if this is happening on all the TV's...Thanks

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

I also have Comcast of Toms River and haven't been seeing the issue you describe. Do you have a specific time of day you notice this issue occurring? What do you see on the screen when freezing occurs, is it pixelation, a black screen, a frozen image, or is it just the user interface? It's possible it's a signal level issue coming into your residence in which a service visit may be required.

mountlaurel
@army.mil

mountlaurel

Anon

Just looked at my bill for March "No HD additions" - no messages at all for Comcast of Garden State, NJ

Spiderman865
join:2005-12-27
Joliet, IL

Spiderman865

said by mountlaurel :

Just looked at my bill for March "No HD additions" - no messages at all for Comcast of Garden State, NJ

Same here.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to mountlaurel

to mountlaurel
Thinking at this point they are going to focus on other things, maybe get the S26 software out, maybe hopefully get the cablecard firmware out.
Russ6
join:2011-03-17
Houston, TX

Russ6

said by Mike Wolf:

Thinking at this point they are going to focus on other things, maybe get the S26 software out, maybe hopefully get the cablecard firmware out.

I think Comcast is deploying the cablecard firmware at the same time it deploys the S26 Guide software.

mountlaurel
@army.mil

mountlaurel to Mike Wolf

Anon

to Mike Wolf
Maybe your right "Mike Wolf" Really need that Cable Card software update for my TIVO. (Garden State, NJ)

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to Russ6

to Russ6
you are correct that the cablecard firmware is being deployed the same time as the S26 software, however with Comcast who knows if it will be on the same night or several weeks apart.
TurboDan
join:2006-06-08
Lavallette, NJ

TurboDan to MarvinMagic

to MarvinMagic
Just insane that we're now well into 2013 and we still can't even program a DVR remotely in (most of) Ocean County.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Got a headsup from Comcast about a possible Xfinity On Demand for TiVo coming in May of 2013. »forums.comcast.com/t5/Vi ··· 5#M12933

Also hearing hints of an announcement this week about the future of Comcast in New Jersey.