kilrathi
Premium Member
join:2005-04-22
Rockaway Park, NY

kilrathi to dellsweig

Premium Member

to dellsweig

Re: TW Usage Meter Accuracy

I have 50/5 ultimate pacakge and I am above 200GB, if someone thinks thats high then I have to ask.... If 200GB is high for you then I assume you will never need anything above 10/1 package

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal

1 recommendation

DocDrew

Premium Member

Speed of downloads and data consumption are 2 different things. I want fast speeds so ive got 30 down and 4 up on Charter but average about 120 GB a month. Kids Netflix and gaming might add another 20 GB.
Wilsdom
join:2009-08-06

Wilsdom

I used to be baffled by people who say that B/s is totally different from B--obviously you aren't saving much time if you're hardly downloading--but now I'm thinking that speed might matter more at lower consumption levels when it comes to media. If you constantly pull data you will end up with a huge backlog which more speed would actually make worse; but if you only download a little even minutes can matter since you are waiting.
Moral of the story: download more!

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

1 recommendation

hobgoblin to DocDrew

Premium Member

to DocDrew
said by DocDrew:

Speed of downloads and data consumption are 2 different things. I want fast speeds so ive got 30 down and 4 up on Charter but average about 120 GB a month. Kids Netflix and gaming might add another 20 GB.

Agreed, I have a Camaro...its pretty fast as cars go. In the 10 months I have had it I have driven 7,000 miles. I bought it for its speed, not because I drive long distances.

Hob

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

1 edit

1 recommendation

DocDrew to Wilsdom

Premium Member

to Wilsdom
said by Wilsdom:

Moral of the story: download more!

Why? I download what I want.

It's fast enough to the point I often don't store or save a file if I don't think I'm going to need again in a month. Especially since some of the bigger software packages often update versions in that time. If I need it again I download it again. Back when I had less than 10 mbps, especially 33k through 4-5 mbps, I stored EVERYTHING.

Now I can download 1 GB in under 5 minutes. At 10 mbps that took 15 minutes full speed. I can grab a 4.7 GB DVD image in under 30 minutes. At 10 mbps it took 1 hour 30 minutes. Same amount of data, 1/3 the time.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to kilrathi

MVM

to kilrathi
said by kilrathi:

I have 50/5 ultimate pacakge and I am above 200GB, if someone thinks thats high then I have to ask.... If 200GB is high for you then I assume you will never need anything above 10/1 package

You surely know what they say about, "assume"! I was able to hit 95GB on a 3.0Mb ADSL connection in a light-use month. I am sure I exceeded AT&T's 150GB monthly cap in my heavy-use period, before they implemented caps.

I am amused by assumptions about usage which imply some kind of relationship exists between the speed at which data is moved and the amount of data moved. Beyond the basic mathematical one.