how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

fishacura

join:2008-01-25
Phoenixville, PA

FIOS TV and the Actiontec and speed

I recently got a smart TV and find myself watching more content online. Everyone once in awhile it will run the buffer during shows as if the wireless is not keeping up.

I have 35/35. I used speednet on the network PC and seem to get 40/20. When I checked the wireless speed on my phone it looks like it's getting about 16/16 or so.

Is there anything I could/should be doing via my router settings to ensure I am maximizing the wireless speed?

THAnKS!
--
People who don't get good service on average tell 10 others while people who do get good service on average tell 1.

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ
said by fishacura:

I recently got a smart TV and find myself watching more content online. Everyone once in awhile it will run the buffer during shows as if the wireless is not keeping up.

I have 35/35. I used speednet on the network PC and seem to get 40/20. When I checked the wireless speed on my phone it looks like it's getting about 16/16 or so.

Is there anything I could/should be doing via my router settings to ensure I am maximizing the wireless speed?

THAnKS!

First question is what version of the actiontec router do you have (C-I) and also does your phone support wireless-N?

fishacura

Phoenixville, PA
reply to fishacura
The actiontec is MI424-WR.

Not sure about my phone...i was just using that to see what speed it got. I just want to be sure the router is configured to deliver the highest bandwidth possible since we use the TV to stream more now (and the kids are getting older and beginning to stream)
--
People who don't get good service on average tell 10 others while people who do get good service on average tell 1.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:31

1 edit
bohratom See Profile was asking what hardware revision of the Actiontec you have (rev. C - rev. I). MI424-WR is the model.

Actiontec revisions A-F are 802.11g.
Actiontec revisions A-E are 802.11g only. Rev. F is DRAFT 802.11n. Only rev. G and I are fully 802.11n-2009 compliant.
16/16 is typical for 802.11g. If you want higher wireless speeds, you need to move to 802.11n.

Both the router and your phone need to support 802.11n. Actiontec revisions G and I are 802.11n and support higher wireless speeds.

Edit to correct rev. F as draft 802.11n.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

fishacura

Phoenixville, PA
reply to fishacura
First, thanks as always for your patience as I obviously struggle to understand the terminology. It is rev-D. So then do I need to call verizon and ask for a new router and if so, can they guarantee the new revision?

Also, I will double check the TV to see if it supports 802.11n.

THANKS!
--

lew_b
Premium
join:2003-05-11
Poughkeepsie, NY
Click for full size
No label like this on mine.
Hate to thread hijack here but I have a question that is sort of related.
How do you determine the revision version of the Actiontec ? I've looked through the FAQs, looked all over the physical router and the control panel and can't find the rev.
Wireless settings in the control panel says it accepts 'b' and 'g', so I know it's not capable of supporting the current 'n' speeds.
Thanks !
--
Roadkill 2015

bohratom

Red Bank NJ
said by lew_b:

How do you determine the revision version of the Actiontec ? I've looked through the FAQs, looked all over the physical router and the control panel and can't find the rev.

Lew, u pulling our leg right?....

lew_b
Premium
Poughkeepsie, NY
said by bohratom:

said by lew_b:

Lew, u pulling our leg right?....

Sorry to say but, I'm serious.
--
Roadkill 2015

Teasip

join:2001-05-14
Plano, TX
reply to fishacura
The "I" revision has a red band around the front of the router next to the status lights.

bohratom

Red Bank NJ
reply to lew_b
said by lew_b:

Sorry to say but, I'm serious.

NP, its Rev. F...

lew_b
Premium
Poughkeepsie, NY
reply to lew_b
Click for full size
Click for full size
said by lew_b:

Hate to thread hijack here but I have a question that is sort of related.
Wireless settings in the control panel says it accepts 'b' and 'g', so I know it's not capable of supporting the current 'n' speeds.
Thanks !

I think you mis-read. The picture's caption says 'NO label like this on mine'
Here are pics of mine ...
--
Roadkill 2015

bohratom

Red Bank NJ
said by lew_b:

Yes I did and from that photo it has to be one of the older actiontec's probably Rev A or B. If you login into your router via http under "System Monitoring" it should display the Rev.

lew_b
Premium
Poughkeepsie, NY
said by bohratom:

said by lew_b:

Yes I did and from that photo it has to be one of the older actiontec's probably Rev A or B. If you login into your router via http under "System Monitoring" it should display the Rev.

Hardware Version: A

Thanks and Happy New Year !
--
Roadkill 2015

hubrisnxs

join:2009-12-30
Fountain Valley, CA
kudos:2
reply to lew_b
The Revision is the FOURTH letter in the Serial Number under the UPC Bar Code

CSJA
CSJF
CSJD
SSJI
SSJE

ETC....................

most of the time it will be labeled like it was in one of the pictures above.

The one that isn't labeled up there 'NO label like this on mine'

that is a revision A

fishacura

Phoenixville, PA
reply to fishacura
If you ask for a replacement will:

1. you be guaranteed one that supports 802.11n (for example, I know with STBs they wont guarantee a specific version)

2. you be put on some new plan which charges a monthly fee for the router

Or, if anyone cares to respond, can anyone recommened a specific router you have purchased and use in lieu of the actiontec?
--

hubrisnxs

Fountain Valley, CA

1 edit
just a side note, verizon's Wireless N Actiontec isn't the Full 300 MB Wireless N. So if I were looking for wireless N, I wouldn't even really consider the actiontec. That's just my opinion. It's a 2.4 GHZ 160MB wireless N single Radio. And if you think about that, When would you ever go to Amazon or Best Buy and Search for a Wireless N and When would a 2.4 GHZ 160MB wireless N single Radio, Ever be in the running for what you are spending your money on. For the price is it a value, ya know? Which is better than the others, but is it really good enough or worth it? not in my opinion. I need 5ghz or die

Reyr

join:2009-01-03
Wilmington, DE
reply to fishacura
You know I've tried the speedtest.net app on my GS3 and it is not accurate at all. it underscores speeds. If you direct your mobile browser to speedtest.net and run your test from there it is more accurate.

crgauth

join:2004-05-18
Glen Burnie, MD
kudos:1
said by Reyr:

You know I've tried the speedtest.net app on my GS3 and it is not accurate at all. it underscores speeds. If you direct your mobile browser to speedtest.net and run your test from there it is more accurate.

Actually the best is to go to speedtest.verizon.net.
It is a server on the Verizon network. And from what I have been told, the only test that Verizon will accept results from when complaining about poor speeds.

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to hubrisnxs
said by hubrisnxs:

just a side note, verizon's Wireless N Actiontec isn't the Full 300 MB Wireless N. So if I were looking for wireless N, I wouldn't even really consider the actiontec. That's just my opinion. It's a 2.4 GHZ 160MB wireless N single Radio.

Only for the rev "F", the "G" and "I" are 300mbs

»www.actiontec.com/products/datas···heet.pdf

hubrisnxs

Fountain Valley, CA
it's advertised falsely, when you get the router, the wireless N page says

quote:
Access to the Router's network can be restricted to wireless devices using either 802.11b/g (11 Mbps/54 Mbps) or 802.11n (130Mbs) wireless devices. Select the option that best applies to your wireless network. Then click Apply button to save your settings.