how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

JMoss

join:2012-07-14
Monroe, VA

Drive Noise??

I bought an HP g7-2240us laptop 3 weeks ago. After a couple of days I started to hear what sounded like one of the drives making a noise, similar to the sound I hear when the computer first boots, up every couple of minutes. While everything seemed to be working I just wasn't comfortable with that noise, I've had several laptops before and never heard anything like this. So I returned it and got another one, same computer. Again, after about two days I'm starting to hear that same noise. Does anyone know if this is just inherent in this particular computer? Or should I return this also and try a completely different computer while I still have the option to return it without any hassles?

Max_War

join:2002-11-30
Scarborough, ON

You mean it is making a clicking noise? It is probably normal. The operating system might be putting the drive to sleep, could be the drive's is parking the heads, etc.

JMoss

Monroe, VA

I wouldn't say it's a clicking sound and having paid a little more attention now it seems to be the DVD drive. It's the same sound as when you open and close the DVD door. I'm hoping it's nothing because I really like the computer and for $450.00 I can't find anything close to it.

JMoss

Monroe, VA

I opened the DVD drive and left it open for about half an hour and never heard that noise, guess I should have tried that before my post. STILL, never heard this on any other computer I've owned and I have had HP laptops B4???????

captokita
Premium
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC
reply to JMoss

Some optical drives can be pretty noisy on boot, some Dells I've worked on sounded like there was sand in there but were perfectly functional, just the noise the drive makes. If it's an annoyance, just boot the thing with the drive open. Of course, it will make the noise again as soon as you close it, and the drive spins up, but it's not going to hurt anything.

JMoss

Monroe, VA

OK, thanks.