spc
Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

aziz786

join:2012-12-27
Plano, TX
reply to bturner75

Re: Question on adding a wireless router (newbie question)

Just curious how do you verify that the iPod and the android switch to the stronger wifi when you move them around the house?

bturner75

join:2012-12-27
Wilmington, DE
said by aziz786:

Just curious how do you verify that the iPod and the android switch to the stronger wifi when you move them around the house?

I was able to verify the android phone switched by using the Wifi Manager app. With it open on the phone, I moved from upstairs to downstairs and saw that it switched from the upstairs channel 6 to the downstairs channel 11.
For the ipod, I just watched the wifi signal icon and as I moved downstairs the signal got weaker and once I got to downstairs to where the android picked up the stronger signal, the wifi signal icon got stronger.

Louist- I originally had the two routers set up with different SSIDs, but I also installed on the phone and the tablet an app called Best Wifi which auto switched to the stronger signal router. When I did it this route it seemed to work fine.

I just changed the second router to use the SSID of the upstairs router because, from what I had read, that is the "recommended" way of doing it when setting up access points. I'm new to access point setups.