Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bbear2
Premium
join:2003-10-06
kudos:5

Best practice for fixed IPs

I'm looking for some ideas on how best to hard code IP addresses. The options I see are:

1. Do an IP reservation in the router (with DHCP for IP, Subnet, DNS, etc. on the PC)

2a. Configure the fixed IP with auto DNS on the PC (and no reservation on the router).
2b. Configure the fixed IP with fixed DNS on the PC (and no reservation on the router).

3. Do both 1 and 2a or 1 and 2b.

Other than the hassle and time to initially configure everything, are there any advantages/disadvantages to doing either? Is there a better way?

Clever_Proxy
Premium
join:2004-05-14
Villa Park, IL

1 recommendation

I'm a fan of reservations, personally. Reservations allow you centrally manage a network's ip settings without needing to manually go to computer to computer assigning them. I use them whenever I can.

There are times when reservations aren't appropriate like Domain Controllers, Web Servers, SQL Servers, Networking equipment etc. Whenever I can use reservations, I use them.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to bbear2

Using DHCP is much easier to manage. If you ever need to change DNS, or the whole IP range, you do it in the router and the devices pick it up automatically. Otherwise, you have to go around and configure each device manually whenever there is a change.

Static IP's are best for devices where the IP should never change. Things like Servers, Routers, Access Points, NAS boxes, and Network Printers. For anything else that you want to keep the same IP, just use the reservation option in the router (this works good for networked all-in-one units). Unless you're doing port forwarding (VOIP, Torrents, etc.) or remote access, it doesn't really matter if the IP address assigned to the device changes.

I had one place, a few weeks ago, where the guy that originally setup the PC's used DHCP for the IP with hard-coded DNS entries. They changed providers and updated the router settings, but no one could get on-line. I had to go around and reconfigure every PC for full DHCP. They were down for most of the day until I could get out there and see what was wrong.

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:16
reply to bbear2

Depends on the environment. If it's for a home setup, it's an either / or situation.

If this is some enterprise site with 2000+ users, option 1 on your DHCP / DNS server(s) is preferable.

Regards

WireHead
I drive to fast
Premium
join:2001-05-09
Muncie, IN

1 recommendation

reply to bbear2

I also always setup reservations for statics. Could easily be done by an exclusion range as well but if someone numbers their machine manually then you still have IP conflicts.

The best way I feel is a DMZ on your domain with the servers all on their own VLAN. Anything on the outside of the DMZ with those IP's becomes unroutable and the client sits there with no service.
--
Retired BBR Team Starfire Team Q III Host
Live by chance. Love by choice. Kill by profession.