how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

seangprice

join:2002-09-10
Coalville, UT

Base Line Macpro 13 or bigger and better

I just received my new MacBook pro 13 baseline model (Mid 2012) I love the smaller for factor and the performance. The last Mac I used was an early 2007 mac mini and currently coming from a cheap Gateway Laptop. The performance so far is outstanding. Playing Diablo III at full resolution and almost max settings on the HD4000 graphics, which surprises me.

My question is should I keep this model or go for bigger? If I go i7 I would probably go for the 15 inch model with the discrete graphics, but my wife has the mid 2012 model and it seems somewhat big for a traveler. If I stayed with the 13 inch and went with the i7 dual core how much performance would I see over the i5 dual core? I know the 15 inch features Quad i7s, but that is a huge increase in price.

I guess what I'm asking is as a casual gamer and a frequent traveler do you think my current model will be enough? I've looked at the Airs but I still like the option of the media drive. SSD aren't a need for me, the performance increase doesn't warrant much on my end. Retina is out of the budget, and the increased resolution doesn't impress me for day to day Office work and casual gaming.

As I said, I love the smaller feel, my last PC laptop was a 17 incher and was a pain to pack and travel with. I've got 30 days to return so any advice would be great. As I said, Retina is out, my max budget really is 1200, but for increased life and performance I probably could go as far as 1800, which lands me at the 15 baseline.

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
join:2004-09-19
Rio Rancho, NM
kudos:2
Reviews:
·CableOne
It sounds to me that you really want to keep the 13" MBP. Most of what you stated in your post seemed like an argument for doing so.

I'm not a gamer, but if you keep the 13" I would increase the amount of Memory in it and that's all. Then enjoy!

On another note, I have 2 iMacs, an i3 and an i7. Just as an analogy (since you have the MBP), I have no problem moving between machines in terms of performance. Yes, the i7 is faster, but it has an SSD in it and 16GB of Memory, so I'm not sure how much faster it really would be without these upgrades. So, if it were me, I wouldn't get the 15" just to gain some performance, unless an increase in performance is clearly needed.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS
reply to seangprice
There is also the option of getting an Apple refurb from the Apple store. You can get a nicely equipped Mid-2012 15" i7 Quad with the 650M graphics for $1530. All the machines I have gotten from the refurb store were indistinguishable from new with the exception of the glossy white or black box. And they have the same warranty as a brand new one and over the next year you have the same option of buying the additional AppleCare.

I also wouldn't dismiss the performance gain of an SSD. SSD's made my 2008 13" MBP and 2010 and 2011 Minis seem like completely different machines.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
I agree with skeechan See Profile. Grab a refurbed 15" and save a few bucks, which you can put towards upgrading the ram yourself, or popping in a SSD, which would make it REALLY fly.

The non-retina MBP's are the last ones you can easily upgrade the storage & RAM in.
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

buckingham
Buckingham Pa
Premium
join:2005-07-17
Buckingham, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to seangprice
I am totally enjoying my new 13" MBPr...lightweight for travel and powerful enough for everything I do. I use a larger monitor in my home office...currently an existing Dell 22" but I'll be getting a 27" Thunderbolt display when finances allow so I have the same screen space as my iMac and with greater resolution than the "little" Dell screen can display.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
reply to HiVolt
I usually take the difference and buy AppleCare...usually have some left over.

seangprice

Coalville, UT
reply to seangprice
Thanks for the input guys! After checking Apples new and refurbished inventory I realized that I'm able to take advantage of their Military pricing... The only problem with returning my current product is that newegg will charge me a 15% restocking fee within the first 30 days, which at this point would nullify any discount I would get through the Apple Store.

This being said I'm very pleased with my original product, and can easily see myself throwing in the extra 4gig ram within the next month. It's been almost three years since I've used any Apple product so just being back in the saddle feels great.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
They also don't seem to verify in their education store.

not

@comcast.net
Personally speaking, it was almost a no brainer to spend a couple hundred more and get the i7 for me. In the long run, you can do more with it and you're not shortchanging yourself too much.

I bought a refurb i7 and upgraded the memory to 16GB for less than $60 (got a discount code to bring the memory down from Newegg). The next upgrade will be a Samsung 840 Series 512GB SSD when it comes down in price and I can find a great deal on it... if the reliability is good on it... something that should come to pass within the next few months as more people buy them.

sfogliatelle
We Is Whut We Am
Premium
join:2002-05-29
Baton Rouge, LA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to seangprice
If you're still mulling over the idea of going to a larger laptop, you might consider browsing in a military exchange. Wile there won't be any refurbs to look at or RAM/HDD upgrade options, at least there won't be any sales tax.

I remember seeing a (then) formerly current model of a 27 inch iMac in the Navy Exchange in Pensacola a couple of years ago at a fantastic price.

seangprice

Coalville, UT
All these suggestions are great but at this point I'll be eating a 15% restocking fee, which negates a lot of the savings, even going bigger. I should have done my homework sooner, to be honest. I'll have to contact newegg and see if they can waive the fee, if so I'll check out my other options.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
The RSF is one of the reasons I no longer buy from Newegg, another is having to pay for returns even if the item is defective.
Expand your moderator at work

seangprice

Coalville, UT
reply to seangprice

Re: Base Line Macpro 13 or bigger and better

I decided I will give the 15 inch base model a try, I ordered the refurbished 15 inch (2012) with the military discount. Once I add sales tax and shipping I think I'm slightly under 1750 if I include the newegg return fee for my original 13 inch model. I'll have some time to compare the two before I have to make a final decision.

As I said, I love the 13 form factor and price, but the 15 offers a considerable jump in performance and longevity, which at this price point might be an advantage over time.

Either way, i'll be ordering a ram upgrade sometime this year to increase performance.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Shipping? I haven't paid shipping on anything from Apple for many many years...

The refurbs from Apple arrive very quickly with the standard free shipping. 2-3 days at most...
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

seangprice

Coalville, UT
Free shipping on this purchase showed 5-7 days for delivery, I paid the 15 for 2-3 day. Not a big deal. I need to compare these two Macbooks sooner than later because of some upcoming travel and dealing with the return of one of these products.

It sounds like you have gone the refurb route.. Are there usually cosmetic flaws with the units? I know they get imaged to stock and go through a rebuild but what are the most obvious signs that they have been used?

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
All of my refurbs were like new. The only difference was they came in a regular brown box instead of a glossy bitchen one. The accessories (cables, keyboards, etc) were all new.

seangprice

Coalville, UT
Just received my shipping confirmation, should be arriving Tuesday afternoon. That should give several days to compare before I send one of them back.

seangprice

Coalville, UT
Ok, so I received my refurbished 15 inch about a week ago and I'm somewhat conflicted. I love the gained performance from the discrete graphics, and I've noticed the increase in processing power with the Quad Cores, but I still LOVE the 13" profile. Price wise I'll spend a little more if I keep the 15 but overall as I mentioned before, the longevity is there with the discrete/Quad advantage. I'm leaning towards the 15", but as I said, the 13 feels great in hand, especially for a frequent traveller.

I'm conflicted, any more advice or thoughts please let me know!

Thanks!

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to skeechan
Which is no big deal really, computer boxes get folded and recycled or stuffed in a closet somewhere that nobody sees it anyway.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
join:2004-09-19
Rio Rancho, NM
reply to seangprice
As I posted above, it sounds like you really want to own the 13" model. Upgrade what you want to on the 13"......Return the 15".....Go for it.