uniqs

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck to HiVolt

to HiVolt

Re: [DSL] VDSL - 25/7 Congestion

I'm confused why TSI continues to even sell DSL? You'd think they would hold off until new capacity was added.
crazypants
join:2011-02-25
North York, ON

crazypants

Good question. People thought it was only them since they didn't see any issues on the forum.

TSI said nothing will be done until the rates were lifted. Does this mean that it is immediate or do we have to wait for upgrades to go through in time?

zacron
Premium Member
join:2008-11-26
Frozen Hoth

zacron

Premium Member

It has to do with aggrigate bandwidth on bell's network... the problem is simply that bells per-megabit cost is incredibly excessive and anti-competitive. Unfortunately, the truth is that TSI must be loosing alot of cash in this one.

Until the CRTC sets reasonable rates, there probably wont be any upgrades soon. The cost is greater than the 79.99/mth they get now.

My $0.02
crazypants
North York, ON

crazypants

Since this is the case, shaded's point is a valid one. If TSI can't afford to upgrade and is losing money, then there should be a stop sell. They can't keep on accepting new accounts if they are aware of this congestion. I do sympathize with TSI, but customers are paying $68 a month and they should get a reasonable up-to speed.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

1 recommendation

dillyhammer

Premium Member

said by crazypants:

customers are paying $68 a month and they should get a reasonable up-to speed.

For every DSLr user that would come here and lambast TSI for a weak connection, there are 20 Gramma Jones's and 20 Uncle Bobs that'll pay $68 a month every month without ever looking at their bill and be thoroughly ignorant of what they're getting for that $68. They connect. They get their email. They look at their Facebook. They're happy. That's it that's all.

Customers like us that are analyzing every bloody bit byte and baud are a total pain in the ass and barely worth the trouble.

Mike
crazypants
North York, ON

crazypants

With the way the internet is going today (more YouTube, Hulu, Netfix, HD content etc.), customers are not just using the internet for email and social media anymore. TSI got it so bad by customers on the cable side when areas were chronically congested. TSI Marc himself said that the focus is on cable, so DSL is a back burner issue.

I think you would agreed that the issue with customers on the incumbent networks is they hit the overages and just silently pay the bill whatever it is. TSI customers demand more because we use more and were fed up with paying the incumbents for exceeding the caps.

Phibian
join:2009-06-01
Ottawa, ON

1 recommendation

Phibian to dillyhammer

to dillyhammer
True, but... Grammas and Uncles also get unhappy when their VoIP is choppy (and more and more of them are using VoIP). They just don't understand why it is choppy.

Also don't forget that lots of them are only with TSI because the techies amoung us as telling them to sign up with TSI. Given no external input who do you think the Grammas and Uncles will go with? That's right, Bell or Rogers (at least around here). Most of them will have never heard of TSI otherwise.

I don't demand perfection from TSI. I demand a reasonable effort to to their best for their customers. I work with technology and I understand that things happen. But if the lines are saturated to the point that it is causing problems (albeit minor ones for now) for all of their DSL customers (who until recently where the meat and potatoes), and probably still represent the bulk of the techies, I think that needs addressing.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
Ottawa, ON

jmck to dillyhammer

to dillyhammer
said by dillyhammer:

said by crazypants:

For every DSLr user that would come here and lambast TSI for a weak connection, there are 20 Gramma Jones's and 20 Uncle Bobs that'll pay $68 a month every month without ever looking at their bill and be thoroughly ignorant of what they're getting for that $68. They connect. They get their email. They look at their Facebook. They're happy. That's it that's all.

Customers like us that are analyzing every bloody bit byte and baud are a total pain in the ass and barely worth the trouble.

Mike

i don't really think that is TSI's target market. it's also really bad form to oversell a service, this isn't the 90s anymore.
keltron
join:2012-12-26
North York, ON

keltron

I still think I'll make the speed upgrade from my 5mbit profile instead of switching to a Bell profile.

I can probably still live with the Teksavvy bandwidth inconsistencies as they are offset by Teksavvy's overage policies - Bell's max overage charges are 125GB and $80 Max (vs Teksavvy's 200GB and $20 + off peak hours)...

Bell's ability to give me true to speed will just bring me closer to their max cap

Anyone disagree with my reasoning?
crazypants
North York, ON

crazypants

Yeah I think we all agree that you are better off staying with Teksavvy's just for the awful 125GB cap and $80 Max for overage which would pay for a 2nd TSI account!

Mike2009
join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
TP-Link Archer C7
Technicolor DCM476
Grandstream HT701

Mike2009 to jmck

to jmck
said by jmck:

said by dillyhammer:

said by crazypants:

Mike

i don't really think that is TSI's target market. it's also really bad form to oversell a service, this isn't the 90s anymore.

Their customer base changed when they started advertising on billboards, buses and on TV.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
Ottawa, ON

jmck

dupe.