elitefx

Bogus Cellphone Roaming Charges

Don't have a cellphone myself. Found this for those that do:

»www.cbc.ca/news/canada/b ··· ing.html
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt

Not entirely uncommon in border areas. Hits all of the cell providers, and can work the other way too.
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr to elitefx

to elitefx
Not bogus at all. They roamed on AT&T knowingly. In the article, the lady mentions that Rogers credited her back for the roaming charges and suggested that she turn roaming off completely, but she declined to do that as she feels roaming service is better than no service.

Also, I find it ridiculous that her neighbours complain about lack of coverage, yet they continue to renew their contract with Rogers. I'm quite certain the one time termination fees are a lot cheaper than the time and money spent disputing roaming charges that they knowingly incur.

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4

Premium Member

Rogers gave her the choice to turn roaming off which might mean 75% of her time in her house she'd get no service, not a real option.

Sounds like Rogers just doesn't have enough towers in the area.

Alternatively, Rogers and AT&T could come up with a border agreement that could prevent these types of calls.

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26 to elitefx

Premium Member

to elitefx
If she's that close to the border, she could just get AT&T service and use their roaming for a fraction of the cost.
Cloneman
join:2002-08-29
Montreal

Cloneman

said by BACONATOR26:

If she's that close to the border, she could just get AT&T service and use their roaming for a fraction of the cost.

A fun but non practical solution. Data roaming is still outrageously expensive.

When visiting anyplace in Canada that is not close to border they'd pay voice roaming.

She'd have a U.S. number, and all her Rogers friends would have to pay to text her.