All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
xan_user
join:2004-11-18
Santa Rosa, CA

xan_user

exede; should I just fix issues myself, or deal with CS?

my retired parents have been on dway for over 5 years. recently their modem went belly up. rather than upgrade their DW4000 dish and dw7000 modem to "hughesnet next gen" they opted to go with exede.

well the installer arrived late with two flats and after borrowing my folks compressor went about installing the new system.

1) he used the old copper jacketed steel line from the dway install.

2) one of the dish mounting bolts is not tightened on the dish surface, so a carriage bolt is sticking out about a 1/2 inch in the middle of the reflector surface.

3) there is no ground from tria/dish to grounding block at building penetration.

4) drip loop is less than 6" dia.

5) cheapo compression fitting to tria, and kept the 5+ year old quality compression's from the old dway install.

the service seems ok so far, but the modem lights are all blinking in unison and the control panel shows a red mark for line quality. my parents are out of town, so its not really getting used yet.

When WB was first rolling out service, I was trained in portola and passed my certification, but the company I worked for went out of biz before i ever received my installer credentials. Prior to that I spent 3 years installing and troubleshooting dway, DTV, Voom, DishNet and 2 meter+ dish systems.

Should I just fix the problems myself, or roll the dice and hope a competent installer shows up next time?

I wish I could have been there the day it was installed, but I had prior obligations.

wm4bama
join:2012-05-10
Goodwater, AL

wm4bama

The lights all flashing and the red X definitely indicate a coax problem, and/or a grounding problem.

Who did they buy from? Exede direct, DishNet, co-op or DirecTv?

The system is still under warranty so if it were my parents I'd call CS and insist on a different installer be assigned to re-do the installation and do it right..

And, if it's at all possible you should also be there when it's done to verify it's done correctly.

What you describe gives the industry a black eye and is the reason many satellite customers complain about bad internet service..which they will have before long unless this installation is re-done correctly..

Good luck..
xan_user
Santa Rosa, CA

xan_user

i think it was bought through a local re-seller. ?
the worry i have with having a van roll is, if the type of tech they send is anything like the original, its a complete waste of everyone's time.

unfortunately, its nearly impossible for me to be onsite...especially given the flakiness of installers appointment windows...

(real bummer is, my parents tipped him $40...)
courty3210
join:2004-03-29
Wilmington, DE

courty3210 to xan_user

to xan_user
if u know how to fix it, go for it....don't bother with the installer. it's a couple hours of your time to ensure the parents have good internet.
DrStrangLov
join:2012-03-28

DrStrangLov to xan_user

to xan_user
said by xan_user:

i think...a local re-seller. ?

Find out specifics...
quote:
Find out specific brand/model-#

If steel line, it has to go...it will not work correctly.

EarthSignal
Earthsignal
Premium Member
join:2002-10-03
Burlington, IA

EarthSignal to xan_user

Premium Member

to xan_user
said by xan_user:

They need to come out and do a complete new install. That copper coated cable needs to be replaced with solid copper.
Spice300
Premium Member
join:2006-01-10

Spice300 to xan_user

Premium Member

to xan_user
If it was only the dish mounting bolt that was loose, then I would fix it myself. However, the entire coaxial cable needs to be replaced and doing that yourself would void the warranty. It would be best to have the installer fix it under warranty.
Kaosfury
join:2011-06-27
Altavista, VA

Kaosfury

it i was you, i would call and freak out.

setting up new service using old equipment....old wire, ESPECIALLY if its braided or jacketed old school wire.

the installer is NOT allowed to do what he did, he needs to come back out and fix it on there dime
xan_user
Santa Rosa, CA

xan_user

thanks all! waiting on a van roll.
if that doesnt fix it, ill just do it myself.
DrStrangLov
join:2012-03-28

DrStrangLov

said by xan_user:

if that doesnt fix it, ill just do it myself.

Before that, use this email address found here: »Re: [Exede] data to a secured cloud site not transferring