how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

sarah81

@direcway.com
reply to dbirdman

Re: [HN9000] Something on new computer is draining my bandwidth

Okay, so I had no problems with draining bandwidth yesterday afternoon and evening, and thought maybe the issue was fixed (like I said, I've already turned off all the auto updates I can think of), but then this morning the exact same thing happened again. Before I remembered to check, I had dropped from 500 to 230 MB. So I immediately disconnected my ethernet cable before I lost the rest. After a few hours, I plugged it back in, and now the number is holding steady and nothing is draining it.

What could be causing this to happen only in the morning? I generally only put my computer in sleep mode at night, I don't shut it down. So it's not as if Windows is booting up or the Hughesnet system is restarting.

gwalk
Premium
join:2005-07-27
West Mich.

Being a new computer probably everything installed on it wants to update. It can be hard to change everything to "manual".

I still think it may pay to keep it off the net until the first opportunity to update everything during the free time.

Once everything is updated you should be good to go except perhaps on "Patch Tuesday"

You really don't want to run un patched.
You are running Anti-virus and anti-malware software I hope.