share rss forum feed

sleuth
Premium
join:2001-08-30
West Des Moines, IA
reply to cbrigante2

Re: Looking to move back

said by cbrigante2:

Well Geneva is an all around nice area. Not sure about the schools, but I think they are okay.

It is. My wife and I both like the downtown areas of Batavia and Geneva. There is a lot of new shopping and new homes popping up which are good signs of development and growth.

Another option is Naperville, but we're generally looking west right now since my moms in Naperville and sister is in Aurora. We still have close family in the Northshore area, but unless we hit the little lotto or something, we want a larger home and will probably settle in the western burbs somewhere. Just not all too familiar with the schools out there. I only hear limited information on Naperville schools and how great they are.

Jon
Premium
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL

Wasn't naperville picked as one of the best places to live not long ago? I'm sure the schools had a lot to do with that. Maybe you can find a foreclosure or short sale and get yourself a sweet deal. The area though (Naperville, Aurora, wheaton, Lisle) has a ton of places to work. BMO Harris just opened a huge building next door to my wifes work. Navistar, Alcatel-Lucent (though I'm not sure what if anything they still do at that building) etc.. Or you could hop an Metra express train and be downtown in 20 minutes. The surface road traffic around here can really suck balls but in general, it's a very commuter friendly area.

We also have a friend that lives in Lemont. Seems nice enough. Though I'm not sure what's there besides Cog Hill. I'd be willing too bet there's a PGA Superstore there or at least something similar.

sleuth
Premium
West Des Moines, IA

said by Jon:

Wasn't naperville picked as one of the best places to live not long ago? I'm sure the schools had a lot to do with that. Maybe you can find a foreclosure or short sale and get yourself a sweet deal. The area though (Naperville, Aurora, wheaton, Lisle) has a ton of places to work. BMO Harris just opened a huge building next door to my wifes work. Navistar, Alcatel-Lucent (though I'm not sure what if anything they still do at that building) etc.. Or you could hop an Metra express train and be downtown in 20 minutes. The surface road traffic around here can really suck balls but in general, it's a very commuter friendly area.

We also have a friend that lives in Lemont. Seems nice enough. Though I'm not sure what's there besides Cog Hill. I'd be willing too bet there's a PGA Superstore there or at least something similar.

Yay jobs! Both my wife and I telecommute so that's nice, for now. I work for Aon and her United Healthcare. Just nice having options for my wife like Takeda, Walgreens, Baxter, Abbot and for myself Accenture, Mercer, etc. Good stuff. I can't tell you how badly I've wanted to go back to Chicago

Jon
Premium
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL

Do you do finance or stuff like six sigma? That whole lean process thing seems to be all the rage at my work atm. Some of it is ok. A lot of it is petty stupid crap though. They taped off areas on work tables in the factory where stuff should go. Garbage cans, staplers, pen cups, shit like that. Seriously..

jmdomini
Premium
join:2000-05-04
Sycamore, IL
reply to sleuth

Geneva is definitely very nice, as is St. Charles. I think you'll find both to be very expensive though. I think you'll probably have better luck with Batavia. At least at few years ago when I was looking, there were some reasonably priced homes available.

If you are willing to consider a condo or town home, Naperville can actually be reasonable. Plainfield is nice as well, however traffic on I-55 is horrible. I'll also throw Oswego out there.

Personally I'd recommend staying away from Aurora. Even if the neighborhood looks good. I lived there for four years, a combination of the east and west side over those years and I have no kind words for the place.

sleuth
Premium
West Des Moines, IA
reply to Jon

said by Jon:

Do you do finance or stuff like six sigma? That whole lean process thing seems to be all the rage at my work atm. Some of it is ok. A lot of it is petty stupid crap though. They taped off areas on work tables in the factory where stuff should go. Garbage cans, staplers, pen cups, shit like that. Seriously..

Finance isn't my specific field but I have participated in a few Kaizen events in the past for various client teams. It's definitely interesting and really does help streamline some process flows. Maybe all that junk on the table was creating time consuming work for someone else to put away

whymeintrouble
Premium
join:2001-06-20
Naperville, IL
reply to Jon

said by Jon:

there was a house partially finished in my neighborhood, where million dollar plus houses are getting more and more common. house sold for $250k. I'm guessing they put around $250-300k into it. sold it for $1.025 a few months ago!

I was kicking myself once I found out how much the unfinished house sold for.