All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
SteveJobs
join:2012-07-18

SteveJobs

How to bridge 3 computers together?

Hello, I have finally set up my "data center" and I have a computer with a Linkseys wireless USB thing that plugs into a computer, and I have 3. Sow hat I plan to do is plug it into 1 computer and just bridge them by LAN. Is this possible? How do I do this?

FizzyMyNizzy
join:2004-05-29
New York, NY

FizzyMyNizzy

If you want to bridge them pc to pc, you will need Ethernet crossover cable »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Et ··· er_cable

Wouldn't it be easier to just get a wireless router? Since you have 3 wifi usb adapter.
SteveJobs

SteveJobs

I meant I have 3 computers, sorry.

psafux
Premium Member
join:2005-11-10

1 recommendation

psafux to SteveJobs

Premium Member

to SteveJobs
It's not very often I hear "data center" and "wireless usb thing" in the same phrase from an individual.

Regardless - if you are merely looking to share files between the systems you could quite easily setup an Ad Hoc wireless network and configure file sharing via a number of ways.

If you want each system to have an active gateway to the WAN (internet) you will need to configure ICS and tunnel all of the network activity through the one system. With wireless your results may be a bit dicey.

A wireless router would be the simplest solution.

If you can describe what you are trying to accomplish that would help.

WireHead
I drive to fast
Premium Member
join:2001-05-09
Muncie, IN

WireHead to SteveJobs

Premium Member

to SteveJobs
I've never even seen the word "LINKSYS" on a piece of equipment in a data center or NOC. But I don't wander around looking everyone's crap while there either.

Like psafux said, get a wireless router and be done. The ad-hoc ICS is going to really blow.
SteveJobs

SteveJobs

Ok, here's my situation. In our basement we have 3 computers set up. There is no router down there, but we have a wireless router serving the whole house. I have a Linkeys network adaptor, that connects via USB. I want to plug that into a computer, then via Ethernet crossover cable plug in in to computer 2, then run from computer 2 to 3. Or from the main computer which has the wireless adaptor, and run it to each computer and make them all have Internet and all being routed through the main computer.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 edit

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by SteveJobs:

Ok, here's my situation. In our basement we have 3 computers set up. There is no router down there, but we have a wireless router serving the whole house. I have a Linkeys network adaptor, that connects via USB. I want to plug that into a computer, then via Ethernet crossover cable plug in in to computer 2, then run from computer 2 to 3. Or from the main computer which has the wireless adaptor, and run it to each computer and make them all have Internet and all being routed through the main computer.

If that (whatever that is) is what you want to do, then do it. I assume you know that at least one of your basement computers (the one with the USB WiFi dongle) will need to have two ethernet adapters for that to work; otherwise you will also need a switch to connect the basement computers together.

However, it would be much easier and much more efficient to just get a couple more USB wireless dongles and connect all of your basement computers to your main WiFi router. Everything that connects to your WiFi router can also connect to everything else that is connected to your WiFi router as well as to the internet (assuming that your WiFi router has an internet connection). That is called a LAN (Local Area Network); I am not sure what one would call what you say that you want to do (actually I do know what to call it, but...).
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to SteveJobs

MVM

to SteveJobs
As others have said, stick to the KISS principals and either get wireless cards for all three PCs, or pull
a cable down to the basement and get a switch and plug the 3 PCs in.

Dumb question, a) how far away is said "wireless router" you're talking about, what make / model is it, and
do you have config access to it?, and b) what is the wireless signal strength in the basement? Have you tested?

Regards
SteveJobs

SteveJobs

The router is about 10ft off right underneath it in our basement, it's a netgear 7550 provided by Frontier, yes I do, and yes I have. It gets excellent signal as I have my iPhone and iPad and laptop and all get full bars.

clarknova
join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB

1 recommendation

clarknova to SteveJobs

to SteveJobs
Your best options for reliability, performance and scalability, in my estimation. In order:

1. A length of network cable directly from the router to each computer.

2. A length of network cable from the router to a switch, another length from the switch to each computer.

3. A wireless ethernet bridge with multiple ports and a length of network cable to each computer. Tomato on a supported router works well for this purpose.

4. The situation you describe, with ICS (or a simple bridge) running on the computer with the wifi adapter (assuming it's running Windows), and a pair of NICs to feed the other two computers. This is effectively the same as the previous option, but using the first computer as the wireless bridge. I'm not sure if Windows can bridge 3 NICs, but you would think so.

Options 1 and 4 require purchasing only network cabling. Option 2 doesn't really make sense unless you have a single wire in place already, since you can run three wires almost as easily as you can run one. It makes sense if your router has less than three available LAN ports.

Option 3 is a decent option and I've done many setups like this where running a cable ins't an option. Your bridge should be of good quality or you will have headaches. For less than $50 you can buy an ASUS RT-N12/B1, install Tomato on it, and connect up to five wired hosts to a wireless network with it and never a problem.

Option 4 is ugly. Regardless of the OS on the first computer, it will use more power than a switch and your whole "data center" goes offline every time you need to reboot, for example when doing updates. If this computer has stability problems or repair issues, the whole network suffers. This is especially an issue if it is running Windows.

On a loosely related note, a coworker recently told me about the bad old days of when he was the web site administrator for a college, and the site was hosted on a Mac running System 7. At some irregular interval, the Mac would pop up some kind of alert on the screen, and the web server would stop responding entirely until somebody went in and clicked "Ok" on the Mac. Epic.
SteveJobs

SteveJobs

I just got done at best buy and I asked for an Ethernet crossover cable, and he said to get a Netgear 5 port gigabit Ethernet switch. He said its not safe to use Ethernet crossover cable.
hardly
Premium Member
join:2004-02-10
USA

hardly to SteveJobs

Premium Member

to SteveJobs
Did you ask them how much they would charge to set up your network onsite?
SteveJobs

SteveJobs

No.

clarknova
join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB

clarknova to SteveJobs

to SteveJobs
said by SteveJobs:

He said its not safe to use Ethernet crossover cable.

Well, not without the proper hazmat equipment. He didn't offer to sell you that?
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to SteveJobs

MVM

to SteveJobs
said by SteveJobs:

He said its not safe to use Ethernet crossover cable.

Not safe.... how, exactly?

Go back, get your money back for the crossover cable. Get a couple 15' CAT5 straightthru cables and run all
3 PCs into the GigE switch you got. My 00000010bits.

Regards
SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium Member
join:2005-12-28
Houston, TX

SipSizzurp to SteveJobs

Premium Member

to SteveJobs
said by SteveJobs:

I have a Linkeys network adaptor, that connects via USB. I want to plug that into a computer, then via Ethernet crossover cable plug in in to computer 2, then run from computer 2 to 3.

Open the "Network Connections" window. When you see the icons for the two network adaptors, hold the shift key on the keyboard and click each of them so they are highlighted. Right click with the mouse and select the option that says "Bridge Connections".

Now that computer will bridge the connections together and see them both as a single IP address. The computer that you have connected to it by cable will now obtain service from the wireless router via the bridged computer's Wi-Fi dongle. This may require a cross-over cable ( 100% perfectly safe ) or a network switch between the two computers.