uniqs
share rss forum feed

SteveJobs

join:2012-07-18
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to SteveJobs

Re: How to bridge 3 computers together?

Ok, here's my situation. In our basement we have 3 computers set up. There is no router down there, but we have a wireless router serving the whole house. I have a Linkeys network adaptor, that connects via USB. I want to plug that into a computer, then via Ethernet crossover cable plug in in to computer 2, then run from computer 2 to 3. Or from the main computer which has the wireless adaptor, and run it to each computer and make them all have Internet and all being routed through the main computer.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 edit

said by SteveJobs:

Ok, here's my situation. In our basement we have 3 computers set up. There is no router down there, but we have a wireless router serving the whole house. I have a Linkeys network adaptor, that connects via USB. I want to plug that into a computer, then via Ethernet crossover cable plug in in to computer 2, then run from computer 2 to 3. Or from the main computer which has the wireless adaptor, and run it to each computer and make them all have Internet and all being routed through the main computer.

If that (whatever that is) is what you want to do, then do it. I assume you know that at least one of your basement computers (the one with the USB WiFi dongle) will need to have two ethernet adapters for that to work; otherwise you will also need a switch to connect the basement computers together.

However, it would be much easier and much more efficient to just get a couple more USB wireless dongles and connect all of your basement computers to your main WiFi router. Everything that connects to your WiFi router can also connect to everything else that is connected to your WiFi router as well as to the internet (assuming that your WiFi router has an internet connection). That is called a LAN (Local Area Network); I am not sure what one would call what you say that you want to do (actually I do know what to call it, but...).
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium
join:2005-12-28
Houston, TX
kudos:4
reply to SteveJobs

said by SteveJobs:

I have a Linkeys network adaptor, that connects via USB. I want to plug that into a computer, then via Ethernet crossover cable plug in in to computer 2, then run from computer 2 to 3.

Open the "Network Connections" window. When you see the icons for the two network adaptors, hold the shift key on the keyboard and click each of them so they are highlighted. Right click with the mouse and select the option that says "Bridge Connections".

Now that computer will bridge the connections together and see them both as a single IP address. The computer that you have connected to it by cable will now obtain service from the wireless router via the bridged computer's Wi-Fi dongle. This may require a cross-over cable ( 100% perfectly safe ) or a network switch between the two computers.