spc
uniqs
don00
join:2004-07-22
Victoria, BC

don00 to ShawSean

to ShawSean

Re: [ALL] Ask a Shaw Rep

WHEN is the upload speed UPGRADE coming to BB50/BB100/BB100+ packages for Victoria? Some of the country has it, some doesn't. You have finished the necessary upgrades for the entire city, yet I still get 5 mbit upload on BB100.

Here is another user from Victoria without the upgraded upload speed:
said by adiabatic:

I've all but given up on seeing my 10 Mbps upload speed on BB100 here in Victoria (View Royal). Although Shaw never made a formal announcement of the service date, the DNU was done long ago (at least 6-7 months). What is the delay?

It's a shame because 100 Mbps down deserves better upload for what is essentially a premium service. 5 Mbps is laughable. My cloud backups are painfully slow, Slingbox streaming impacts the network for others in the house, and so on.

I was told "September" by a tech back in June or July or whatever. I bet if I called Shaw right now, they could give me 250/15 no problem. Press of a button. How come existing users never benefit? I don't believe it's difficult to upgrade BB50/100 users to the new 5 and 10 mbit upload speeds that we were promised way back when. Can you shed some light on this?

Shaw_Alex
Official Shaw Rep
join:2010-12-16

Shaw_Alex

Victoria is still undergoing upgrades. It really depends on the area, as there are a number of factors that are involved. Existing users are the ones that benefit the most from these upgrades as they will automatically have their internet speeds upgraded without changing packages.

Thanks for being patient.

rawrblam
@shawcable.net

rawrblam

Anon

I've been having issues for the last few weeks with severe slowdown during evening hours in the Wolseley area of Winnipeg. I'm consistently getting sub 1 Mb/s down on the shaw speedtest and the upload portion generally times out or fails. This issue is not unique to my area of town and others I have spoken with are having similar issues (some dating back to the fall). I contacted phone support twice and was told both times that there is extreme node saturation during peak hours and that the only thing that can be done to fix it is a node split. Both reps I spoke with were unable to provide me with a timeframe other than to say "that sort of thing is up to Operations and can take some time" which is completely unacceptable. Obviously not every situation is the same but in your experience how long has it taken this sort of thing to be resolved?
WiFiRobbery
join:2013-01-07
Victoria, BC

WiFiRobbery to Shaw_Alex

to Shaw_Alex
Shaw_Alex:

Vic West is brutal during a longer and longer peak period (no seems to run from 7-10:00 PM. This is making my work VPN sessions and any gaming painful. Any idea when the network upgrade is going to happen here.

My account is covered through work - basically more than 20 accounts, and with the complaints my boss is starting to make noises about going Telus. I do not want to go to Telus for internet......

Shaw_Alex
Official Shaw Rep
join:2010-12-16

Shaw_Alex to rawrblam

to rawrblam
It really depends. The engineers know far in advance when nodes need to be split, so when areas become saturated it's because we haven't been able to solve the issue on schedule. I wouldn't know exactly what the delay would be, but if you send me your account number i'll do my best to find an ETA.
Shaw_Alex

Shaw_Alex to WiFiRobbery

to WiFiRobbery
If you could send me your account number or address, i'll ask one of the local techs for more information.
WiFiRobbery
join:2013-01-07
Victoria, BC

WiFiRobbery

While not my address, this one will suffice:

750 Front Street
Victoria BC