how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

metropical

join:2011-05-27
Huntington, NY

[OOL] HPNA

I'm looking at one of these »goo.gl/k0gL5 and additional AirPort Base Station upstairs where coverage is weak.
There is no "acceptable" spot more central in the house for the base AirPort Extreme.
Does anyone know if this is a good fir with OOL?

metropical

Huntington, NY

or alternatively, another modem split upstairs before the cable box.

Scientific Atlanta DPC2100 / DPX2203

xirian
Premium
join:2003-01-26
Beacon, NY
kudos:1
reply to metropical

I have no experience with that adapter, but remember that if you add another modem, you have to pay another subscription fee for it every month ($44.99 for normal optimum) so after a few months It would end up cheaper to just run a wire.

RickNY
Premium
join:2000-11-02
Farmingville, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to metropical

Are you set on HPNA? I use 3 of these HomePlug adapters throughout the house where there is no or spotty wireless coverage, and get good results, including streaming of Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon video, etc through two Tivos. MRV also works well through them between the two Tivos.

»www.actiontec.com/products/produ···0J28Sj5w

$49 for a set of two, which will get you one Ethernet jack in a remote location.. Another $49 gets you two additional (one goes to the router). They have them at Best Buy

Rick

plat2on1

join:2002-08-21
Hopewell Junction, NY
reply to metropical

said by metropical:

I'm looking at one of these »goo.gl/k0gL5 and additional AirPort Base Station upstairs where coverage is weak.
There is no "acceptable" spot more central in the house for the base AirPort Extreme.

HPNA will not work on any line connected to cablevision. they work great if you have an unused coax line between the two locations though.

metropical

Huntington, NY

thanks. I did not know this.

metropical

Huntington, NY
reply to RickNY

I was told by a couple of makers of PL ethernet products that they would not work due to the age of the wiring and different circuits.

metropical

Huntington, NY
reply to xirian

said by xirian:

remember that if you add another modem, you have to pay another subscription fee for it every month

didn't know that either. And I guess the added modem could be detected easily on their end.

Crawl space is not exactly inviting.

plat2on1

join:2002-08-21
Hopewell Junction, NY

said by metropical:

said by xirian:

remember that if you add another modem, you have to pay another subscription fee for it every month

didn't know that either. And I guess the added modem could be detected easily on their end.

Crawl space is not exactly inviting.

MoCA is designed to work with cable you might try that.

Millwood
Premium
join:2002-04-27
Millwood, NY
reply to metropical

Have you considered a wireless repeater. These pick up a weak signal and broadcast a strong one. You'd have to place it where there was enough input signal.

I've never tried one myself.

ILpt4U
Premium
join:2006-11-12
Lisle, IL
kudos:9
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to plat2on1

said by plat2on1:

said by metropical:

HPNA will not work on any line connected to cablevision. they work great if you have an unused coax line between the two locations though.

MoCA adapters should work with cablevision -- MoCA and DOCSIS can co-exist. HPNA and DOCSIS cannot

xirian
Premium
Beacon, NY
reply to metropical

said by metropical:

said by xirian:

The modem will go to a page asking you to register it to your account when you plug it in, it won't work without paying.

metropical

Huntington, NY

thanks. Guess I'll look at MoCA or the ActionTec PoE solution.

ActionTec said this:
"Some homes have two breaker systems. A panel to control downstairs lighting and outlets and a seperate circuit breaker system for upstairs. That won't work, they only work in single circuit breaker panel systems so it should work in your home but do NOT expect to get full data rates due to the wiring in your home being both copper and aluminum wiring."

Any suggestion as to which MoCA or are they all pretty much the same?

xirian
Premium
Beacon, NY
reply to metropical

Actiontec makes the moca routers verizon uses for FiOS and they seem to work fine, so probably this: »www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Etherne···+adapter

metropical

Huntington, NY

shouldn't I just need one at the set-top box where I'm looking to extend?
Or doesn't the DPX2203 have MoCA built in?

xirian
Premium
Beacon, NY

said by metropical:

shouldn't I just need one at the set-top box where I'm looking to extend?
Or doesn't the DPX2203 have MoCA built in?

No, you need one plugged into your router and one where you want the extension. Cable modems don't have Moca. MoCA is a local networking technology, your internet itself comes over DOCSIS.

RickNY
Premium
join:2000-11-02
Farmingville, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to metropical

said by metropical:

thanks. Guess I'll look ... or the ActionTec PoE solution.

ActionTec said this:
"Some homes have two breaker systems. A panel to control downstairs lighting and outlets and a seperate circuit breaker system for upstairs. That won't work, they only work in single circuit breaker panel systems so it should work in your home but do NOT expect to get full data rates due to the wiring in your home being both copper and aluminum wiring."

Any suggestion as to which MoCA or are they all pretty much the same?

Do you have two separate breaker boxes? Just go to Best Buy pick them up and try it.. If it doesn't work, bring it back.. I'm on 3 different circuits with my setup and it works fine -- one breaker box though.