Happy to be here
Premium Member
join:2002-03-15
Oklahoma City, OK

H2OuUp2 to gambothell

Premium Member

to gambothell

Re: [Rant] UPS delivery will not ring the doorbell

The sensor on the Package Car is called Telematics. It monitors the number of backs, seat belt occurrences, (how many times it was off for how long, distance traveled) speed, and if the driver recorded any information in his DIAD while stopped or while traveling.

The backing has several elements, # of backs, did the driver back first (before or after the stop), distance, and speed of the back.

It also keep a record of the drivers entire day how many packages, stops, time it took, where they parked, all kinds of information.

A report is generated daily and if the driver is a "target" or MHN (most help needed) driver they will be talked with.

Now, if the supervisor doesn't get with the driver then nothing happens.

UPS' idea is to use technology to monitor the employees, and cut down on management. So far it isn't working out as good as they would like, though if you read the press it wonderful. In reality the local management is so overwhelmed that they don't use it as it is intended.

Aging in all boils down to the driver. A good driver makes UPS look good, and a bad driver makes them look bad. More times that not management doesn't have a lasting impact on the driver, they always return to their ways, but there are some that do.
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4

I noticed our UPS driver always turns off the engine whenever he gets out of the truck. So he may turn off the engine 3 times in one short block. I always thought it was bad for diesel engines to be stopped and started repeatedly.

Fir_Na_Tine
Time to get riggity riggity wrecked son
Premium Member
join:2001-01-03
South Jersey

Fir_Na_Tine

Premium Member

said by Bob4:

I noticed our UPS driver always turns off the engine whenever he gets out of the truck. So he may turn off the engine 3 times in one short block. I always thought it was bad for diesel engines to be stopped and started repeatedly.

Every stop they shut off the engine and close the cargo doors. At least they are supposed to. As posted before the truck is wired with sensors on the doors, seatbelt parking break etc. So they know if the driver follows procedure. I think its a safety and security reason.