Mayhem til the AM
Premium Member
join:2003-03-15
Tuckahoe, NY

J Alert

Premium Member

Intel to start a-la-cart television service

»www.businessinsider.com/ ··· GkSFccYf

If Intel is able to pull this off, do you think cable providers will follow suit?

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2

Premium Member

I have been wondering if someone would try this for a while. I think it might work only if the price is right.
dm145
join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ

dm145 to J Alert

to J Alert
doubtful

The reason its unlikely to happen is that content companies don't really want to see cable blown up. It's been very good to them.

Read more: »www.businessinsider.com/ ··· Gn9F39Vh

limegrass69
No Whammies
join:2008-05-28

limegrass69 to J Alert

to J Alert
Yeah...hey...good luck with that, Intel. Let's hope you succeed where others have failed.

Regardless, you can create all of the "overlay" services you want. Even if you can overcome the content provider issues, you still have to have someone DELIVER the content. That leaves you with the same cable and phone companies we deal with now. If any service such as this were to gain any sort of traction, watch the cost of broadband go through the roof. The cable companies are not going to sit back and let Intel have their lunch.

Plus, as others have pointed out, the cable industry has a pretty cozy relationship with content providers, and I don't see that being disrupted any time soon.

J Alert
Mayhem til the AM
Premium Member
join:2003-03-15
Tuckahoe, NY

J Alert to dm145

Premium Member

to dm145
said by dm145:

doubtful

The reason its unlikely to happen is that content companies don't really want to see cable blown up. It's been very good to them.

Read more: »www.businessinsider.com/ ··· Gn9F39Vh

That's obvious, which is why I asked if they were able to pull it off. I'm not asking if they will be able to; we all know that would be a struggle. I'm asking that we assume they were able to pull it off, would that force cable companies to follow?

I think it's more likely that cable companies start imposing harder caps for non-tv subscribers if this ever was to become a reality - in an attempt to cripple what would basically be an internet service.
J Alert

J Alert

Premium Member

As expected, they are already having problems:

»online.wsj.com/article_e ··· yWj.html