how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

BCRose

join:2013-01-01
Salmo, BC

[BC] Intermittent Internet slowdowns

I have been experiencing slow Internet at different times of the day, usually evenings for a couple of weeks. I live in Salmo, BC. I have the 6Mbps package and usually get 5.2 or higher.

I just got off the phone with Telus tech support and the agent told me that there was a widespread outage and a team was working on it. He also said something about it being in the Prince George area...which must be 1000k from Salmo so that never made much sense to me.

When I told him it was happening for a few weeks now he said they were aware of the problem and a team was working on it. He then told me I would be eligible for a refund on the monthly fee if I called them back once it was resolved. I asked him why Telus would not just automatically refund everyone that is affected but he had no answer.

I just wish they could send out an email or text or something to let us know these things so that we wouldn't have to spend time calling tech support and wasting money renting movies that will not download without timing out...

Hope this helps anyone experiencing issues.

pfak
Premium
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC

BCRose

Salmo, BC
It gets worse...

I received a message from Telus mobility tech support as I am dealing with a problem with my daughters cell phone going over her data limit...though she claimed she was on WiFi the whole time and I believe her...but.

This is what I was told in an email...

"Not many people know this, but if you are connected to a WiFi network such as your home network, your device may still be using up the data allotted with your rate plan. This is due to the fact that when your Wi-Fi network becomes limited or weak your iPhone automatically switches over to TELUS data, hence using up the allotted data in your plan"

So...how many people are using up their cellular data inadvertently like this because their WiFi connections become so weak in the evenings? Which Telus makes money from of course.
There is much more to this issue than just slow speeds in the evening.

pfak
Premium
Vancouver, BC
said by BCRose:

So...how many people are using up their cellular data inadvertently like this because their WiFi connections become so weak in the evenings? Which Telus makes money from of course.
There is much more to this issue than just slow speeds in the evening.

WiFi isn't controlled by TELUS, and having slow internet doesn't mean you have a weak WiFI signal. WiFi is under your control, and the environment around you affects it. How are you saying it's related?
--
The more I C, the less I see.

BCRose

Salmo, BC
What I was told in the quote above from their tech support would suggest this was occurring.

If you say weak WiFi is not related to weak Internet connections you could be correct. I was just going by this message.

rustydusty

join:2009-09-29
Red Deer, AB
reply to BCRose
Like already stated, if you Wifi signal is weak, it will not use data off your plan. Your device may be slow loading anything related to the net is all. If your device is completely out of range, then it will drop off and pick back up on the rate plan. If the wireless is that terrible, I would suggest moving the wireless router to a better location OR purchasing a seperate access point to provide a better wireless coverage for your home.

BCRose

Salmo, BC
If you read the quote in original message from the Telus tech support it says to me that if the signal is weak then it will pick up on the cellular plan.

So wouldn't it be true that if my Internet connection is dropping off to .4 mbps or worse in the evenings that would be create a 'weak' WiFi signal and cause the cells to pick up on the cellular network?

Or am I completely wrong? ... That's been known to happen at times

rustydusty

join:2009-09-29
Red Deer, AB
Your line speed have nothing to do with the Wifi signal of the router. If you are getting a weak signal it's because the distance you are from the router itself. Slow line speeds will not affect your signal off the device whatsoever. Those are two different battles altogether. If you are getting weak Wifi signals, try moving the router to the center of the house, or purchase a seperate Access Point to provide a better wireless coverage. For a price for quality, I would suggest a D-Link DAP-2553. It's in the $150 range, but I'm extremely satisfied with the signal and speed I'm getting with it. Plus, PoE is always handy so you can get the device in the perfect position.

Mike_C

join:2007-07-19
Vancouver, BC
reply to BCRose
@OP: This issue has been posted on this forum many many times already. Your post doesn't bring anything new that hasn't been posted here already.

Team? Working on it? Hah. That's a load. They've known about the bottlenecks due to old hardware in remote areas in BC for YEARS now. It's not even classed as an outage at Telus. Telus just doesn't want to spend the mountain of money required to upgrade a tiny village with a declining population and likely very small user base where it would take forever to recoup the costs of installation. They will spend the money in areas they can make it back far quicker in - usually areas with large numbers of subscribers. Don't expect a quick fix for it because it'll never happen.

Telus will never send an email or text out about any network issues, ever. The mountain of red tape they have to deal with just to add one word to the website alone is ridiculous.

Listening74

join:2012-10-18
v6e-1k2
reply to BCRose
As I have also posted here in the past ... I live in Vancouver downtown and every day starting around 3 pm or 4 pm onward we notice an increase of packet loss and latency spikes. I do line quality test on this site and my ping to my first public hop is no less than 71 ms. I can do a trace route to an IP address six blocks from me and my first hop ping will go from 2ms up to 200ms plus the route that it takes will take me from a router here then to Chicago then here again then to Montreal then to Chicago then here again then somewhere else that I cannot identify and so on and so on. Blaaaa.

pfak
Premium
Vancouver, BC
Click for full size
said by Listening74:

As I have also posted here in the past ... I live in Vancouver downtown and every day starting around 3 pm or 4 pm onward we notice an increase of packet loss and latency spikes.

Is it possible that someone is using your Internet (via WiFi)? My latency on TELUS is absolutely rock solid in Downtown Vancouver.
--

Listening74

join:2012-10-18
v6e-1k2
reply to BCRose
No one is piggy backing on my Internet, it is just very unstable.

pfak
Premium
Vancouver, BC
said by Listening74:

No one is piggy backing on my Internet, it is just very unstable.

I would suggest phoning TELUS then. I maintain sync with the DSLAM for months at a time. Sounds like something is wrong with your line!
--

Symtex

join:2005-04-06
Burnaby, BC
kudos:21
reply to BCRose
Its been a know issue for a long time. the Salmo ATM network is satured. No big news here. Now sure if they will be a resolution soon. I do know there is some work to upgrade the ADSL2+ network backbone in that area but not on the ATM side.
--
I may work for, but do not necessarily represent the views and beliefs of TELUS Communications.

WhosTheBosch

join:2009-12-02
said by Symtex:

Its been a know issue for a long time. the Salmo ATM network is satured. No big news here. Now sure if they will be a resolution soon. I do know there is some work to upgrade the ADSL2+ network backbone in that area but not on the ATM side.

OP I would call in and ask for a refund from Telus since they're not able to deliver. Network outages are normally part of the deal, however, if there's a known issue for over a year I'd be all about getting a large discount or looking for an alternative provider.