share rss forum feed

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

FTL: Anyone try this?

Picked this up a couple days ago... it's an Indie game that seems like a mashup of Ambrosia Software's Escape Velocity space exploration game and a really old Star Trek (early 90s) game where you manage your spaceship's sub-systems (shields/weapons/engine/life support/sensors/etc.) that I forget the name of...

Damn this game is addicting.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

footballdude
Premium
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO
Just picked it up on GOG for five dollars. Looks interesting. Only twelve hours left in the sale.
--
Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty - Ronald Reagan

Gundy
Premium
join:2002-10-29

1 edit
reply to Krisnatharok
Bought it a while back when it first came out. The game is realllly fun and challenging. I hear its gone some new content added to it through patches which I haven't gotten around to yet, that and community added content is pretty cool as well..

Its a great game.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
join:2002-09-10
canada
reply to Krisnatharok
I'm looking for the advertised linux version that doesn't seem to exist, the link links back to their homepage.
--
~ Project Hope ~

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
You get that only if you buy it directly from their website.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
join:2002-09-10
canada
Reviews:
·voip.ms

2 edits
Yes, that's what they say on their website that i was visiting, looking for the link, or any info on how to proceed.
*EDIT* NM, I needed to allow two others' js for their page to load properly with purchase options.
Now to find my paypal account info which hasn't been used in over two years.
--
~ Project Hope ~

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
kudos:5
reply to Krisnatharok
Love this game, it is really difficult in normal mode, I think there should be a "noobdontletfirextendorleavespacedoorsopen" mode
--
Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19
reply to Krisnatharok
Tried this game. Getting my ass kicked even in easy mode. Cannot make it to the end of a single universe alive. One wrong ship and you're done.
--
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -MLK

mazhurg
Premium
join:2004-05-02
Brighton, ON
Reviews:
·MTS
reply to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

Picked this up a couple days ago... it's an Indie game that seems like a mashup of Ambrosia Software's Escape Velocity space exploration game and a really old Star Trek (early 90s) game where you manage your spaceship's sub-systems (shields/weapons/engine/life support/sensors/etc.) that I forget the name of...

Damn this game is addicting.

SFB (Star Fleet Battles)? »www.starfleetgames.com/starfleet···es.shtml - That was a fun table top game.

Looked at FTL, but since I do not like RTS I passed.

ekster
Hi there
Premium
Lachine, QC
reply to Krisnatharok
By the way, this is back on sale on steam at 50% off.
I'll pick it up tonight.

banditws6
Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Krisnatharok
Been playing this for about a month or so. Fantastic game. Reminds me of the old EGA Trek -- resource management-focused space combat. Random aspect makes it difficult if not impossible to develop a foolproof strategy. I have yet to even complete the game; I've gotten to the final (eighth) sector and within a couple jumps of the Rebel Flagship, but I always get creamed before I can go up against them. Usually by damned intruders knocking out my systems while their ship pounds my hull from outside.

There's a command line tool you can use to unpack and repack the game's resource file. I used this to replace a whole bunch of the sound effects with samples from Star Trek TNG. Adds a whole new geek dimension to the thing.

Apparently you can also add your own ship layouts and so forth; some players have made the various Star Trek ships available for use. I know at least that the NX-01 Enterprise is out there. Other mods are possible too.
--
"The counsel of fools is all the more dangerous the more of them there are." -Ólafr Höskuldsson

ekster
Hi there
Premium
Lachine, QC
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
reply to Krisnatharok
Okay, easy is NOT easy. :P

Only got two ships unlocked so far. The starter ship and the engi ship. I got to the last part with the starter, managed to fight the final ship 3 times before getting blown to bits...

And the engi ship starts off amazing... but about half way through, I find myself destroyed too easily. 1 stupid nebula that reduces my power to half and my ship becomes useless. :\

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
reply to Archivis
said by Archivis:

Tried this game. Getting my ass kicked even in easy mode. Cannot make it to the end of a single universe alive. One wrong ship and you're done.

Don't feel alone. I am having the same luck. The problem is that I have put a couple hours into this game and I can't even beat it on easy. Don't know what my problem is. Guess I am going to stick to Battlefield 3.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

ekster
Hi there
Premium
Lachine, QC
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
The game is hard as you got to balance your exploration with fleeing. If you leave too soon, your ship wont have enough upgrades crew, and if you try to explore everything, the rebels catch up to you.

I find that getting a proper full crew and a crew teleporter can finish off a ship pretty easily. You just need to know how to time everything.

I've also unlocked the zolton ship, and find that it makes it much easier now.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19
I cheated and still lost.

How do you unlock the zolton ship?

banditws6
Premium
Frisco, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
said by Archivis:

I cheated and still lost.

How do you unlock the zolton ship?

You can get it from a random encounter in the Zolton Homeworlds system (details here). I didn't even realize the significance of the encounter until I got through it and was awarded a ship.

I haven't even tried flying the Zolton ship yet. I really should do that...the ol' Kestrel can't take much of a beating.
--
"The counsel of fools is all the more dangerous the more of them there are." -Ólafr Höskuldsson

ekster
Hi there
Premium
Lachine, QC
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
One thing about the zolton ship... one of the unlocks for it is just plain crazy silly. Get to sector 5 without a single reactor upgrade.

I tried and tried and tried... and just gave up

banditws6
Premium
Frisco, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
said by ekster:

One thing about the zolton ship... one of the unlocks for it is just plain crazy silly. Get to sector 5 without a single reactor upgrade.

I tried and tried and tried... and just gave up

I did that once in the Kestrel without even trying. Got an achievement for it I think. Normally I upgrade, but I was on a serious good luck streak that game.

(Granted, it was on Easy.)
--

TigerLord
UEE Citizen
Premium,Mod
join:2002-06-09
Canada
kudos:8
reply to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

a really old Star Trek (early 90s) game where you manage your spaceship's sub-systems (shields/weapons/engine/life support/sensors/etc.) that I forget the name of...

Bridge Commander? That game was awesome.

ekster
Hi there
Premium
Lachine, QC
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
reply to Krisnatharok
Aha, finally beat it!
And without breaking a sweat, this time. Got lucky enough with the stores and managed to pick up the perfect upgrades. The final ship was barely able to get past my shields as I kept bombarding all his weapon systems.

TigerLord
UEE Citizen
Premium,Mod
join:2002-06-09
Canada
kudos:8
reply to Krisnatharok
So it's fun?

banditws6
Premium
Frisco, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to ekster
said by ekster:

Aha, finally beat it!
And without breaking a sweat, this time. Got lucky enough with the stores and managed to pick up the perfect upgrades. The final ship was barely able to get past my shields as I kept bombarding all his weapon systems.

So what weapon loadout worked for you?

I got to the rebel flagship last night, finally. Had great luck with scrap throughout the game and was rich with a 4-shield ship and high evasion, plus seven crew members and other upgrades. Only problem was I hardly found any weapons the entire game. Was flying the Kestrel and all I had was the Artemis missile launcher, the 3-shot beam weapon you start with, a high refire-rate ion beam that I got as a free random drop, and a Pike Beam.

Didn't have enough power to run all 4 weapons at once and the flagship had 4 shields that I needed to cut through. Started hitting their shield generator with ion blasts then dropping missiles on it, and simultaneously hitting their drone system with laser bursts. Broke the flagship apart but took a beating, down to about 25% hull. Then they jumped away! You mean it's not over? Oh no, not by a long shot.

By then all repair stations were overrun and I couldn't fix the ship in time. I jumped after the flagship and was dismayed to find myself surrounded by attack drones. Was blown to smithereens in about 30 seconds.

So close.
--

ekster
Hi there
Premium
Lachine, QC
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
I had two burst lasers II, a heavy laser II, and a heavy laser I.

The burst lasers would take out shields and shield systems right away, the heavy laser II would take out the weapon systems and the heavy laser I would be used on either engines or drone system.

Plus I had a weapon pre-igniter and the reloader. That gave me a huge advantage over everyone. And a repair arm insured that my hull was always repairing partially after every fight.

@Tiger the game is very short and basic. It's like an old arcade game... but it is super fun and addicting. I think I put in 12+ hours already since I got it.

banditws6
Premium
Frisco, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
said by ekster:

I had two burst lasers II, a heavy laser II, and a heavy laser I.

The burst lasers would take out shields and shield systems right away, the heavy laser II would take out the weapon systems and the heavy laser I would be used on either engines or drone system.

Plus I had a weapon pre-igniter and the reloader. That gave me a huge advantage over everyone. And a repair arm insured that my hull was always repairing partially after every fight.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like the sheer number of shots you could fire (each laser burst darkening a shield) was the key. I'll keep that in mind.

I had the pre-igniter and the one that gives a 15% bonus to weapon recharge as well. Just couldn't fire enough shots to keep their shields down. Only damage I did was through missiles, I think. Which was fine, but with only the Artemis it took way too long.
--

ekster
Hi there
Premium
Lachine, QC
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
Yeah, 2 burst lasers II = 6 shots. It's perfect to take down the shields. Only other important part is to wait till all the weapons are fully charged if the shields are up... as firing at shields, letting them regenerate, then firing again with the other weapons is pointless.

Got to time the heavy hitters a second after the burst lasers... like that you can take down the shields/weapon systems and make the rest of the fight really easy.