spc
uniqs

iotv
@myvzw.com

iotv to J Alert

Anon

to J Alert

Re: [iO] New Guide Rollout

Fios has it's guide problems. The fios dvr has been freezing up which a fix a just been released. Problem started after the guide update in june. People complain about the colors on the fios guide. Which it looked better with the light blue than the dark.

What I don't companies like bright house in Florida have no problems and have a great guide. Why...because they use a guide vender not make their own. I will post photos.

J Alert
Mayhem til the AM
Premium Member
join:2003-03-15
Tuckahoe, NY

J Alert

Premium Member

said by iotv :

What I don't companies like bright house in Florida have no problems and have a great guide. Why...because they use a guide vender not make their own. I will post photos.

Thanks, I'm always curious to see things like this. I saw ATT U-Verse. That looked pretty good. Very intuitive. Straight forward with simple to follow guides in a folder like hierarchy format. Also looked very solid, polished, and official.

Edit: I looked for video on YouTube, found this for Brighthouse:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· kLLwVc7c

Is this what they are currently using? That looks pretty good. Reminds me of what TMC (Manhattan) is using but slightly less clunky.
dm145
join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ

dm145

that looks like old/current cablevision guide with different color scheme

iotv
@verizon.net

iotv to J Alert

Anon

to J Alert
Yes that is what they are using. They also have thing called start over. »support.brighthouse.com/ ··· ver-590/

J Alert
Mayhem til the AM
Premium Member
Tuckahoe, NY

J Alert to dm145

Premium Member

to dm145
said by dm145:

that looks like old/current cablevision guide with different color scheme

Agreed, but a bit more polished. In all honesty, there really isn't that much wrong with CV soon-to-be-replaced GUI... if they could neaten it up, polish it, use better fonts, images, etc. Stop the silly way they abbreviate channel information, it would be worlds better.

iotv
@verizon.net

iotv to dm145

Anon

to dm145
Click for full size
FIOS Guide problems »[DVR] 7232 Slow, Unrepsonsive Until Warms Up or a Reboot

Old guide light color new guide dark. People complained they could not read the light colored one.
miadfinsck
join:2012-10-02

miadfinsck to J Alert

to J Alert
That's mystro its the same gui that time wanner uses. TWC owns bright house. its all done in house. i currently have TWC and do not like the gui at all. i find that the new CVC gui works a lot better.
dm145
Clifton, NJ

dm145 to iotv

to iotv
my in-laws have fios and I do not care for their guide

J Alert
Mayhem til the AM
Premium Member
Tuckahoe, NY

J Alert to miadfinsck

Premium Member

to miadfinsck
said by miadfinsck:

That's mystro its the same gui that time wanner uses. TWC owns bright house. its all done in house. i currently have TWC and do not like the gui at all. i find that the new CVC gui works a lot better.

That's good to hear. I must say I've been ambiguous with my comments. I've been unclear if I was talking about functionality or appearance. For the most part, I am looking for something that is pretty. I've really not had much problems with the overall functionality of CV's software, I just can't stand how it looks. While the new one looks better, it still looks cheap and everything still doesn't fit right. Some things are much better though. Hitting info gives you the full title (In my limited use), plus hitting info-info allows you to see a second page of information for a program without having to open the full guide. Plus hitting guide actually opens up the guide. Baby steps, I guess.
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4

If only CV's new guide was wide enough to show more than 3 characters in a 1/2 hour slot.
dm145
Clifton, NJ

dm145

said by Bob4:

If only CV's new guide was wide enough to show more than 3 characters in a 1/2 hour slot.

looks like 14 is the limit for half an hour
they do not do partial words so if second word in title exceeds limit it is omitted not truncated

they should do better job with that

J Alert
Mayhem til the AM
Premium Member
Tuckahoe, NY

J Alert to dm145

Premium Member

to dm145
said by dm145:

my in-laws have fios and I do not care for their guide

I've used the FiOS guide too. While I feel it looks very good (worlds better than CV -- even the new one). I feel they tried to do too much. There's too many different things that happen when pressing an arrow button a certain way. I did only use it while visiting this person that had it, so it's possible I would get used to it if I owned it myself.

I'm sure there's plenty of people that don't mind the current (or new) GUI -- and just as many that don't care one way or the other. It's tough to make everyone happy... some might say impossible.

Maybe in the future, they'll let you use various skins (even custom ones), and let you channel map the way you prefer.
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4 to dm145

to dm145
Click for full size
said by dm145:

they do not do partial words so if second word in title exceeds limit it is omitted not truncated

they should do better job with that

Like dropping the initial "The" instead of dropping the rest of the title. See channel 11 above.

Also interesting that "The Odd Couple" fits in some columns, but not others.

J Alert
Mayhem til the AM
Premium Member
Tuckahoe, NY

J Alert to iotv

Premium Member

to iotv
said by iotv :

Old guide light color new guide dark. People complained they could not read the light colored one.

I like the lighter one better. It's very nice overall though.

What does it look like when you just hit the info button (not the guide button)? Thanks.