Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO
reply to IowaCowboy

Re: Cost of going to the movies

The person who sold the tickets and popcorn probably made $1 for the entire day. Now they make ~$7/hour.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
said by rradina:

The person who sold the tickets and popcorn probably made $1 for the entire day. Now they make ~$7/hour.

I used an inflation calculator to compare 11 cents in 1938 dollars (the year Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs was released) to 2012 dollars and today it would be $1.80 adjusted for inflation. Of course this was when AM radio was the latest form of home entertainment. Grandma did not get a TV until 1949 and you had three channels you had to get off the couch to change. VCRs did not come around until the late 1970's and were not widespread until the '80s and '90s. I did not get a VCR until 1994.

rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO
It's not enough to just compare the cost. What are you getting for $1.80 in inflation adjusted dollars? Today's theaters are air conditioned, offer huge, COLOR screens with surround sound, stadium seating, comfortable chairs and a reasonably nice place to do your business should nature call during the show.

I have no idea what a theater was like in the mid 30s but I'm sure it wasn't long on creature comforts. The picture and sound quality were probably equally lacking.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
The theaters back then were air conditioned and people back then would go to the movies to escape the summer heat (as many homes and businesses lacked A/C back then). Many of those old theaters have beautiful architecture. Many cities have a paramount theater that has been preserved and they use them for concerts and stage plays. The Paramount Theater in Cedar Rapids, IA was the first building west of the Mississippi River to have air conditioning. It took a bath in the 2008 floods and they are in the process of restoring it. Back before the anti-trust suits in 1948, the studios owned the theaters. As for the movies back then, most were in black & white and color movies were rare. They did have sound but the sound quality was crappy (ever watch an old movie on turner classic movies). Most movies today are distributed on hard drives but many independent theaters still get them on film.

Corehhi

join:2002-01-28
Bluffton, SC
Reviews:
·Hargray Cable
reply to rradina
said by rradina:

It's not enough to just compare the cost. What are you getting for $1.80 in inflation adjusted dollars? Today's theaters are air conditioned, offer huge, COLOR screens with surround sound, stadium seating, comfortable chairs and a reasonably nice place to do your business should nature call during the show.

I have no idea what a theater was like in the mid 30s but I'm sure it wasn't long on creature comforts. The picture and sound quality were probably equally lacking.

No you are wrong. I've been in a few old theaters and they were full on having state of the art creature comforts for the day. In fact the ones I've scene were much nicer than any modern theater. Here's one near me, »www2.scad.edu/venues/lucas/history.html. Take the tour of what it looks like.