uniqs
share rss forum feed

Styvas
Go Canucks Go
Premium
join:2004-09-15
Hamilton, ON

Getting rid of squirrels in the attic

Looks like we've got some squirrels living in our attic. Obviously, I can call a pest removal company to come and trap them (or whatever they do), but I'm wondering if anyone has any cheaper suggestions to try first. I don't want to leave them there too long, but would rather try some home remedies before shelling out the big bucks for an exterminator.

I once saw a thing that plugs into your electrical outlet that emits a sound that drives away rats and mice. Has anyone seen or heard of anything like this for squirrels? That sounds like a humane method, but it couldn't impact cats and dogs as we have two of each.
--
"Moving your Tylenol to the low shelf in your medicine cabinet is not the way to prevent children from falling off a stool when reaching for the top shelf." (said by Savant, May 2008)

Mike2009

join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
kudos:3

I would hire a reputable company to humanely remove them and close up wherever they're getting in. I know someone who had the same situation and they got into the house. You don't want that.

Styvas
Go Canucks Go
Premium
Hamilton, ON

I'll bet the two dogs would enjoy having them in the house! One of my cats might also enjoy that.

Styvas
Go Canucks Go
Premium
Hamilton, ON
reply to Styvas

I found a couple of those ultrasonic repellent devices online, but I'd have to wire a plug in the attic to make them work.

»www.homedepot.ca/product/victor-···r/909585

»www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/2···ocale=en
--
"Moving your Tylenol to the low shelf in your medicine cabinet is not the way to prevent children from falling off a stool when reaching for the top shelf." (said by Savant, May 2008)

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·WIND Mobile

What about an extension cord?

You're going to get rid of them and then make sure they can't get in again... so wiring a plug in your attic might be overkill, no?
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

Styvas
Go Canucks Go
Premium
Hamilton, ON

I thought of that, but I wonder what my wife would think of several days of having an extension cord running down the hall, into the linen closet, and up through the attic access panel. Putting in a plug would be more "peaceful", but largely useless once the problem is resolved, I suppose. If we were ever doing anything up there (fixing something) I guess I could plug a utility lamp into it, or something.

I'm really just brainstorming off the top of my head here. Don't take any harebrained idea too seriously.
--

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
reply to Styvas

New ones will just come until your house is secured.

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
reply to Styvas

My wife's parents just had this problem. They got a guy. A pest removal guy. They also patched up where they were getting in.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·WIND Mobile
reply to Styvas

said by Styvas:

I'm really just brainstorming off the top of my head here. Don't take any harebrained idea too seriously.

Fair enough, I hope they're easy to get rid of. Good luck!
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
reply to Styvas

Get the ultrasonic critter repellant from whichever store has the best refund policy. They don't work 100%, but they are cat/dog safe and they do work, depending on the area and the critters' desperation... put it up for a week or two, if there's improvement, keep it and then fix wherever from they're getting in. If it doesn't work, return and try something else or call a professional.

Riplin

join:2002-05-13
canada
reply to Styvas

You better get rid of them ASAP humanely or not. Squirrels love to chew on electrical wires and before you know it poof your house goes up in flames.

They make great target practice at camp but kinda hard to do that in the city

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
reply to donoreo

Same here, I called a pest removal company the propped the hole open (one way) verified a couple of days later they were gone, and the holes got patched.

koira
Keep Fighting Michael
Premium
join:2004-02-16
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to Styvas

We have used the ultrasonic devices at our cottage for several years now and they seem to be quite effective against mice any way. You can get the at wamlrat. Made by victor and they come in two sizes. They don't seem to obviously bother our dog but you may find otherwise. Alternatively you could put a radio up there and tune it on a station that plays music that squirrels don't like.

Try and determine where they are getting in. Then have material on hand to close the access point.

So if they are in your attic and you go up there they will likely leave if they aren't already outside playing. Take a good look around up there and see if they have disturbed any insulation or built a nest. Correct any damage up there. Lay down some boards across the rafters to make it easier to move around. Make sure you don't step between the rafters or you will fall thru. Like Clark griswold on Christmas vacation.

Then while they are out you block off their access points. Obviously then monitor if they come back you failed to block their entry point. Could be coming in thru a chewed hole , loose board , soffit, roof vent, Loose flashing, nook or crannies etc. I had squirrels in a small building at our cottage and they were getting in through a vent whose plastic screen had rotted. I chased them out and recovered the vent with galvanized 1/2 " mesh held in place by roofing nails. The squirrel had created a nice stash of acorn nuts and dry mushrooms which I cleared out. It was pissed but didn't get back in. I have an ultrasonic noise maker in there now. I have a red squirrel that hangs around my wood pile here at home and I'm considering using one out there.

Good luck and have fun. May take a while to outsmart them but patience will pay off. Be careful if you end up climbing outside in high places.

Styvas
Go Canucks Go
Premium
Hamilton, ON
reply to Styvas

I gave Orkin a call. They'd successfully helped me out in the summer with carpenter ants in a tree. They've quoted $350 plus HST to put in a one-way door and then seal up the access point once they're out. Definitely more expensive than a $30 ultrasonic device, but at least I'll know the attic is sealed up properly since I won't have done it myself.

What do people think of that price? Does it seem reasonable (or at least in line with what some of you may have paid for similar work)?
--

MoneyWaster

@videotron.ca
reply to Styvas

said by Styvas:

I once saw a thing that plugs into your electrical outlet that emits a sound that drives away rats and mice. Has anyone seen or heard of anything like this for squirrels?

Yup.
A neighbour of mine had that. He even put it right up on his roof. Then two or 3 more families of squirrels moved into his attic and old chimney over fall for the winter.

Waste of money.

Set kill traps, or toss a couple of cats up there. Trapping them this time of the year and releasing them will kill them anyhow since they won't re-locate to new lodgings and food. Rather cruel ending to freeze or starve to death. Best to kill em right away. Unless the people you hire keep them till spring in some sanctuary thing which does exist in some areas

And don't forget, once you do get rid of them, you have to go up there same day and patch all vectors of entrance or someone else will just move in. You have to move kinda fast on this.

Or, the day you are ready to squirrel proof your roof, attic, chimney etc, put a radio in the attic turned up a bit high, but not too annoying for you over night and also put a bright light. Then take some ammonia soaked rags and toss them around the edges and corners. Leave it over-night. That should do the trick (only about 10-12 rags, let them escape instead of gassing and killing them, and affecting your health). Then seal all entrance vectors. But I would wait till spring to do this.

Some people find their entrances and create one way doors so they can leave and not get back in.

Getting back to the neighbour I had that tried the sonic thing, when that failed he just sealed all possible entrances. a month later (or so) he had a HUGE and I mean HUGE maggot infestation. Maggot fell and crawled out of everywhere. They died up there and the flies moved in. was f'n gross. Very gross. The maggots he wasn't able to get turned to flies and then he had hundreds of flies in the house. Again, very gross.

So if you are going for a kill or a seal them in method, keep this in mind. Your wife may hit the roof when 10,000 maggots start falling out of cracks some place and wiggling in her hair and across the kitchen stove. But doubt this would happen in winter. So don't do this in summer

Fun times for you.

Personally, I would leave it till early April before they start breeding using the ammonia method, or get someone in to trap and/or kill.

For a right now method, kill trap is the only humaine thing to do.

lugnut

@communications.com
reply to Styvas

Don't waste your money on an ultrasonic device. General consensus among researchers and the US FTC are that they don't work.

»www.google.ca/search?num=100&hl=···5iscvveI

Your best bets are either poison or traps and sealing up the access hole as has been mentioned.

Mike2009

join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Styvas

said by Styvas:

I gave Orkin a call. They'd successfully helped me out in the summer with carpenter ants in a tree. They've quoted $350 plus HST to put in a one-way door and then seal up the access point once they're out. Definitely more expensive than a $30 ultrasonic device, but at least I'll know the attic is sealed up properly since I won't have done it myself.

What do people think of that price? Does it seem reasonable (or at least in line with what some of you may have paid for similar work)?

Sounds reasonable to me.

vue666
Small block Chevys never die
Premium
join:2007-12-07
Halifax, NS
kudos:1
reply to Styvas

said by Styvas:

Looks like we've got some squirrels living in our attic. Obviously, I can call a pest removal company to come and trap them (or whatever they do), but I'm wondering if anyone has any cheaper suggestions to try first. I don't want to leave them there too long, but would rather try some home remedies before shelling out the big bucks for an exterminator.

I once saw a thing that plugs into your electrical outlet that emits a sound that drives away rats and mice. Has anyone seen or heard of anything like this for squirrels? That sounds like a humane method, but it couldn't impact cats and dogs as we have two of each.

The ones I tried did not work. Can't recall the make or model but purchased them at Home Depot...

We had squirrels in our attic as well a few years ago. They can cause some serious damage... They got into our attic because of some branches hanging near our roof... Trimmed back the branches made sure no more squirrels got in... Afraid had to trap & kill the critters with rat traps...

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
reply to Styvas

Try some Wyle E Coyote style traps first

koira
Keep Fighting Michael
Premium
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to Mike2009

said by Mike2009:

said by Styvas:

Sounds reasonable to me.

Whatever you can afford. I am a do it yourself type so I personally would try my own effort then call pro as last resort.

Keep us posted as the battle unfolds

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to Styvas

TSC and Crappy Tire both sell small vermin traps, they might not be legal however in your area, and it seems that municipalities have outlawed trapping vermin and demand that homeowners hire licensed contractors to deal with theses problems.

Anyways these traps (look like a box with a trap door) only work on flat level surfaces and the trigger mechanism are hit and miss. If you go this route you will have to experiment a bit. Peanut butter is good bait, make sure it’s wired to the bottom so the bait can't be moved, and but a weight on the cage. But first look around and figure out how they are getting and plan repairs accordingly.

Often the commercial guys will seal up all the holes but one and install a one way trap door; they can exit the building but not return. After a few days they come back, verify that the rodents are out, and finally remove the trap and repair the final hole.

Styvas
Go Canucks Go
Premium
Hamilton, ON

said by Thane_Bitter:

Often the commercial guys will seal up all the holes but one and install a one way trap door; they can exit the building but not return. After a few days they come back, verify that the rodents are out, and finally remove the trap and repair the final hole.

Yeah, that's exactly what Orkin described to me.
--

koira
Keep Fighting Michael
Premium

While it's cruel to dump them outside most of his brothers have built their outside nest in treetops. Until the squirrel can frame a home from construction lumber its Darwin at work. Or they will shack up with friends or someplace else.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

2 edits
reply to Styvas

said by Styvas:

I found a couple of those ultrasonic repellent devices online,

They don't work.

I'd go with a animal removal company, instead of a general pest control company. In any event, ask them about their warranty if the squirrels come back in.

Lots of stuff here -
»www.247wildlife.com/howtrapsquirrel.html
»www.247wildlife.com/squirrelcontrol.htm

koira
Keep Fighting Michael
Premium

That Site is very helpful. You can see how easy you could make a one way door. Form screen around a 4x4 then trim it. Use romex straps for hinge and so on.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey

Or you could just buy one for $24.

koira
Keep Fighting Michael
Premium

I have one of those live cage traps
Bought it as a backup but didn't need to use it

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

Seems to me the 'one-way door' trap would be good for a DIYer, as you don't have to deal with a pissed-off squirrel. But there's nothing to stop him from making a new hole and coming back inside.

A regular live trap would be better, of course, if you intend to relocate the squirrel so he doesn't pay you a repeat visit.

Styvas
Go Canucks Go
Premium
Hamilton, ON

Squirrels are a general problem in our area. I suspect that removing one squirrel well away from the property would ultimately just lead to others trying to find a way into the attic (even if that individual squirrel couldn't make it back). My best bet is simply to get rid of them (one way door) and then close it all up and hope for the best.
--

koira
Keep Fighting Michael
Premium

There seems to be a heck of a lot of them around here too, Everywhere you look seems there is 2 or 3 in view.
Always running back and forth along the fence
Perhaps last winter being so mild allowed them to multiply higher than normal.