gwalk
Premium
join:2005-07-27
West Mich.

Talk About Low Earth Orbit !

This is the type of info being passed out by Hughesnet:

EMPLOYEE

Suz (OFFICIAL REP) 30 minutes ago

Hi d i, since you are running a streaming application on your smart TV, please know that watching movies or video through a streaming application will slow your browsing speed drastically. Also, speeds cannot be guaranteed. The numbers you see for each plan are an "up to" speed. This means that there will be times when you will receive fantastic speeds and other times where your speeds will slow. Fluctuations in speed over satellite are normal. Some situations that interrupt browsing speeds are weather, PC issues, using a router, use during peak hour times and such. Please be aware that the dropping of speeds can occur with the use of a router. It's a 90 mile rotation from space to your dish, to the transferring of data. Your signal will be cut in half from modem to router, and then cut in half again from the router to PC. I hope this provides some clarification. Suz

Really, 90 miles space to dish ?, Each trip through a router results in a 50% speed cut ?

No wonder Hughes has issues.

Kaosfury

join:2011-06-27
Altavista, VA
that has to be a joke. a router included inline, as long as its a properly functioning router.... the signal loss / db loss will be insignificant.

as far as the distance from satellite from earth, i thought it was more than 90miles. but i am not perfect

gwalk
Premium
West Mich.
reply to gwalk
According to here:

»www.satellite-calculations.com/S···hp?38551

The altitude of Echostar 17 is 22234.12 miles

Pity tho, 90 miles would really cut down those pesky ping times.

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
kudos:1
said by gwalk:

According to here:

»www.satellite-calculations.com/S···hp?38551

The altitude of Echostar 17 is 22234.12 miles

Pity tho, 90 miles would really cut down those pesky ping times.

22234 miles? Really? I didn't know they were that far up.

gwalk
Premium
West Mich.
Yes that is the altitude for a geostationary orbit.

Raminto

join:2006-02-28
Whitehorse, YT
reply to gwalk
I guess Suz meant 90k miles for the distance of a round trip...

TexasRebel

join:2011-05-29
Edgewood, TX
reply to gwalk
LMAO!! well they better talk to ViaSat\Exede and see what the hell they are doing right.

These morons love to blame the customer and their use of routers contributing the slowness of their connection. Utter BS!!

What kind of router cuts down speeds to dialup at specific times during the day?? Unless there's some kind of QoS option in place, that or someone must be running a router that's built using vacuum tubes, etc. But even then, it's doubtful that you would see any kind of slowness if you took that same router and had it working with cable or dsl.

If they were so concerned about the use of routers, why didn't they just add a wireless router into their satellite modem.. Oh that's right, then they couldn't blame the customers for HN's own stupidity.

In 3 days I'll have Verizon HomeFusion LTE. No more satellite for me.

One More Too

join:2010-09-09
Galena, IL
reply to Raminto
said by Raminto:

I guess Suz meant 90k miles for the distance of a round trip...

My guess would also be that she meant 90,000 miles, which would be two round trips from earth to the satellite, and two round trips is what is needed for an internet request to be completed.

gwalk
Premium
West Mich.
reply to gwalk
90K miles would have been my "guess" too, however when coupled with the idea of a 50% speed reduction of every router pass from customer "support" is a little over the top.

Particularly in light of the continual misinformation spouted by Hughes.
If you are a CSR don't guess, know what you are talking about.

Where else besides here are people going to find objective opinions about Hughesnet ?

It sure isn't going to be on their support website.

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA
reply to gwalk
Wow. There is so much incorrect in that statement. The router NEVER sees the signal from the satellite. Only the modem deals with that and from there on it is all Ethernet. And any quality router will not have any noticeable impact on speed and less than 1ms latency. 1ms latency is not going to make a difference on a satellite connection.

gwalk
Premium
West Mich.
reply to gwalk
In all fairness Suz did post a correction today about the altitude screw up, the rest however remains.

That site is useless and now I am getting alerts from my anti-virus (Avast) using IE9 and Certificate errors in Seamonkey.

Tweakbl

join:2008-09-25
Rosedale, WV
reply to gwalk
Its 22,000 miles one way. Then multiply it by 4.
These birds sit in the Clark Belt. IT is 88,000 miles round trip for one "send".

Tweakbl

join:2008-09-25
Rosedale, WV
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
Also Suz is pretty new on the job so I would cut a bit of slack there. Its pretty hard doing two or three threads at once and answering things with 100% punctuation and spelling. I imagine she has her hands full and it may be a learn as you go type job.

diablo1892
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise

join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·HughesNet Satell..
reply to gwalk
said by gwalk:

90K miles would have been my "guess" too,

This is something they won't show on there support site indeed, and the reason for it is its a negative "thing" the connection has to travel 80,000+ miles so yeah, just saying that number says enough (negative) and we all know Hughes hates negative things on there support page.. Or things thats made up and not true about them but that amount of distance is right, unless you wanna see a little satellite high up in the sky thats only a few hundreds of miles away from your house that would be cool but scary. (for some)
--
HT1000/ BeamID 32/ Power Max plan/ 4 pcs on a D-Link wired switch/ wireless D-Link router with password
Support only the gaming company's that matter the most, pay for something that actually is worth buying
or has a good reason for how much it's worth.

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA
reply to Tweakbl
said by Tweakbl:

Also Suz is pretty new on the job so I would cut a bit of slack there. Its pretty hard doing two or three threads at once and answering things with 100% punctuation and spelling. I imagine she has her hands full and it may be a learn as you go type job.

Even so, she posted information that was downright false. It was Yahoo Answers quality, not that of an ISP employee.

diablo1892
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise

join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·HughesNet Satell..
said by silbaco:

said by Tweakbl:

Even so, she posted information that was downright false. It was Yahoo Answers quality, not that of an ISP employee.

Thats deffinately not good.. Giving your customers something thats not true. How sad..

EDIT: Just because you see it somewhere, don't mean its true (especially on the web, but yahoo, just as bad.
--
HT1000/ BeamID 32/ Power Max plan/ 4 pcs on a D-Link wired switch/ wireless D-Link router with password
Support only the gaming company's that matter the most, pay for something that actually is worth buying
or has a good reason for how much it's worth.