uniqs
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC

cramer to kokkatc

Premium Member

to kokkatc

Re: ATT Uverse - Interleave to Fastpath - How? Help?

Uverse VDSL is interleaved - PERIOD.

Fibre is a completely different technology. (and rare in Uverse installs)
kokkatc
join:2012-12-20

kokkatc

I'm a bit confused about what technology my Uverse Internet package is.

I'm unsure whether it's VDSL or Fibre Optic as it's not entirely clear. My speed is 24/3.
kokkatc

kokkatc to cramer

to cramer
From what I've researched, I'm thinking my Uverse package (24/3) is VDSL. If this is the case, it appears switching to fastpath is nearly impossible which will be a deal breaker for me if it's adding another 10-20ms at the first hop. My latency is bad enough w/ my cable provider...

I'm only using this line for gaming, I'll probably keep the Cox line so my GF can stream netflix/vudu without it interfering.

Would it be possible to switch to Fastpath if I downgraded my Uverse package... to say the 6/1 package or even the 12/1 package if it isn't utilizing DSL? Trying to think outside the box here to give me the best chance to land on fastpath. Any suggestions or INFO will be appreciated.

Canezoid
End of line
join:2001-02-16
Powder Springs, GA

Canezoid

Uverse-VDSL is interleave only, there is no Fastpath signaling profile at all. That only will apply to ADSL served DSLAM connections, not VRAD's for Uverse.

Which one works better for you for what your doing now ? That's all you need to decide. Your GF stuff should work fine with either, so that shouldn't be the deciding factor.

Just my 2c.

Tastic
@cox.net

Tastic

Anon

Well, that is a complete bummer. If Uverse VDSL is interleave only, then that's not going to work well for me at all.

Are you aware if a different U-Verse package utilizes ADSL so I could switch to fastpath? Bandwidth isn't an issue for me so I don't mind dropping from 24/3 to 18, 12, or even 6/1 if it means I'm able to utilize fastpath instead.

I have a tech coming out tomorrow, so I wonder if he has the ability to change my package on the spot if I ask him. I despise the very thought of calling into ATT Tech support again... what a horrible experience, and they surely don't seem that qualified -- at least the two I spoke with.

Nuckfuts
Premium Member
join:2003-10-18
Joliet, IL

Nuckfuts

Premium Member

Your area is either gonna be fed VDSL(interleave and VRAD fed) or ADSL2+(CO fed). It is one or the other, no picking. VRAD VDSL qualifies for all 3 packages (TV, internet, phone) where as ADSL2+ is only phone and internet. You cannot change between either. I had 6mbps fast path xDSL before I switched to VDSL and I did not see much latency added to my ISP. I went from 19-24ms to 21-25ms first hop but it varies from area to area. I play on LIVE and host COD2 and nobody really complains.
Nuckfuts

Nuckfuts to kokkatc

Premium Member

to kokkatc
said by kokkatc:

I'm a bit confused about what technology my Uverse Internet package is.

I'm unsure whether it's VDSL or Fibre Optic as it's not entirely clear. My speed is 24/3.

U-Verse is fiber to the VRAD and then copper fed the last mile to your home. Some subdivisions like the one next to mine are fiber all the way to the house but they still only get what us last mile copper customers get. U-Verse ADSL2+ is fed from the CO (central office) through copper to your home.

Canezoid
End of line
join:2001-02-16
Powder Springs, GA

Canezoid to Tastic

to Tastic

said by Tastic
I have a tech coming out tomorrow, so I wonder if he has the ability to change my package on the spot if I ask him. I despise the very thought of calling into ATT Tech support again... what a horrible experience, and they surely don't seem that qualified -- at least the two I spoke with.
[/BQUOTE :

This is not going to happen, sorry. Why is the tech coming out ? Be careful, you may incur a truck roll charge for this type of dispatch, your question is not a covered maintenance issue, so just be aware if that's what your trying to do.

I think your question has been answered it's full extent, so I'm not really sure what else can be done for you. As it's already been stated Uverse/VDSL does not utilize Fastpath.

FYI, have both Uverse & Comcast internet running here, been on XBL/PSN since the dinosaurs, sons game all the time on both, no probs w/ either.