spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

atToronto

@distributel.net

[TV] Had to give DOB to cancel cable.

The CSR wouldn't let me cancel unless I provided three pieces of ID or my DOB. I didn't think I had provided them with it but after unsuccessfully trying to find my account number(I couldn't access the Rogers' account site?) and after 45 minutes on the phone(25 min waiting for the call to be answered) I finally relented and will be off their network in a month.
He said they needed that info in case I wasn't the person I was claiming to be even though I called from home. He said they do not have call display and could not ask me pertinent questions about my account that would indicate to him that I was the account holder. So after being with them since 1986(they took over the original cable co I signed up with) I had to go through another hassle to cancel service. Was offered 30% discount to stay. Rep. in Vancouver took the call.

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

join:2004-05-29
canada
i would be HAPPY that they asked me some questions to validate my identity. if they didnt do these checks, your son or nephew could easily call up roger, he knows your address info and could easily make changes or cancel your account, you would be MORE pissed if the account was cancelled by someone other than u than being "bothered" to answer a few important security questions, so yes its great what they are doing.
--
Happiness is like peeing your pants... Everyone can see it, but only you can feel its Warmth!!

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1
reply to atToronto
For once I agree with Paolo. Verifying your identity may be a hassle, but it is also a security measure that's there for a good reason.

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
kudos:2
reply to atToronto
Yup. That's also why Rogers implemented 30 day cancellation notices, early termination fees, device savings recovery fees, service deactivation fees and those much loved yearly price hikes.

They're all designed for our protection and security. They make us safe from evildoers, boogeymen, pesky relatives and of course, ourselves.

What would idiots like us do without the all knowing, all seeing, knowledgeable minds at Rogers?.......

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4
said by elitefx:

Yup. That's also why Rogers implemented 30 day cancellation notices, early termination fees, device savings recovery fees, service deactivation fees and those much loved yearly price hikes.

They're all designed for our protection and security. They make us safe from evildoers, boogeymen, pesky relatives and of course, ourselves.

What would idiots like us do without the all knowing, all seeing, knowledgeable minds at Rogers?.......

Don't be silly, it's standard practice to ask for both your DOB and your Postal Code if you don't have a PIN number on your account to make any sort of changes. Are you suggesting that any one who calls Rogers should be able to make changes without any sort of authentication procedure?

elitefx

London, ON

2 edits
Back in the '70's and "80's" it was simple. You called up Rogers and said "I'd like to cancel my service effective immediately'. They said " Can I have your name and account number?" After telling them this they said "Your account will be terminated at the close of business today. We'll send you your final bill shortly"

Time for Rogers to drop the 911 paranoia and bi-polar schizophrenic episodes and get back to reality.

All this BS is nothing more than a delaying tactic to make cancelling a service so painful and time consuming that the customer just can't be bothered with all the Red tape.

And to have to give 30 days notice for a couple keystrokes on a computer is the reasoning dreamed up by a madman in Rogers lunatic asylum.

Folks can debate this all they want. If the system worked for the first 30 years it will work today. And NO, there was never a problem with identification before Caller ID. Your private account number got the job done just fine..........

And furthermore: If some morons got nothing better to do than attempt to make unauthorized changes to strangers accounts they ought to be taken out behind the barn and given an attitude adjustment.

Coolio10_t

join:2012-05-06
You mean a number and name that shows up on the bill which could easily be sent to/picked up by the wrong person?

elitefx

London, ON
said by Coolio10_t:

You mean a number and name that shows up on the bill which could easily be sent to/picked up by the wrong person?

Yes, yes. The boogeyman is hiding under your bed. Give me a break. Sheesh..........

yyzlhr

Scarborough, ON
reply to elitefx
said by elitefx:

And furthermore: If some morons got nothing better to do than attempt to make unauthorized changes to strangers accounts they ought to be taken out behind the barn and given an attitude adjustment.

These people exists in great numbers, hence why Rogers and virtually every other company that charges money for their services will ask you information over the phone to verify your identity.

If you're willing to pay for unauthorized charges to your account in exchange for "taking people out behind the barn...", I'm sure Rogers is more than willing to make that compromise just for you.

elitefx

London, ON
said by yyzlhr:

If you're willing to pay for unauthorized charges to your account in exchange for "taking people out behind the barn...", I'm sure Rogers is more than willing to make that compromise just for you.

It's a moot point. The government says we have, what, 30 days to opt out of anything? You pick up the phone and change it back.

As much as I respect your opinion I think this is all just nonsense. What are the odds? A million to one some nutcase has nothing better to do. I take a bigger risk crossing the street. 'nuff said about this by me.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to elitefx
User said he didn't have the account number. Had he had the account number, might have been a different story.

Personally, I'm not paranoid about giving some dude at Rogers my DOB, because it doesn't matter to him/her, and they get these hundreds of times a month.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada

1 edit
reply to elitefx
said by elitefx:

It's a moot point. The government says we have, what, 30 days to opt out of anything? You pick up the phone and change it back.

For new contracts, with a number of exceptions. Adding or removing services are NOT covered under that, unless a new contract is required (and then only maybe). Good luck getting charges reversed for a month of some added feature or programming that someone else added on you.

And in the case of a disconnect, you might not know the change was made until you're cut off. Then you've got to go through the hassle of getting everything reinstated, including any standing deals or discounts (good luck on that one).

said by elitefx:

What are the odds? A million to one some nutcase has nothing better to do. I take a bigger risk crossing the street. 'nuff said about this by me.

This stuff happens on an unfortunately regular basis. The odds may not be very high, but they're higher than you want to think. Here's a discussion from last year that has multiple examples of why proper identification is a must : »Re: Rogers answerable to CRTC over ITMP again

yyzlhr

Scarborough, ON

1 recommendation

reply to elitefx
said by elitefx:

said by yyzlhr:

As much as I respect your opinion I think this is all just nonsense. What are the odds? A million to one some nutcase has nothing better to do. I take a bigger risk crossing the street. 'nuff said about this by me.

When it comes to unauthorized changes, fraudsters are not simply adding channel packages. They will add wireless services and charge expensive phones to your account and lock you into a commitment. When physical hardware is involved, Rogers isn't going to reverse the charges so easily. And this happens on a DAILY basis. There is a reason why Rogers and many companies have fraud departments. If the chance of this happening was a million to one, the fraud department would of been laid off during the last round of firings. Perhaps as an outsider it's hard for you to appreciate the importance of this, but as someone who has worked in the industry a long time, it's important that Rogers and other MSOs take steps to safeguard our accounts. When I worked part time in retail at Rogers, MULTIPLE fraudsters would come in on a DAILY basis to attempt to make unauthorized changes. If someone who only worked PART TIME can be exposed to so much attempted fraud, it's safe to say it happens quite often. And trust me, we don't want to ask customers for IDs, and DOBs, when I worked in sales, authentication procedures were also a barrier in helping us close sales. So it works both ways, these policies are NOT in place to make it more difficult to cancel.