All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

JaclynKlm
@suddenlink.net

JaclynKlm

Anon

monthly cap is back, according to SL local rep?

I am new to Suddenlink. Prior to installation, I read a bunch of threads in this forum that said monthly cap was not enforced.(or at least until Suddenlink finds a more accurate/reliable way to record customer usage.

However, I was told by two different Suddenlink employees that the cap has been back since a week ago. One was a local Suddenlink installerer who came to fix the cable outside of my building. He said the cap never really went aways, only that Suddenlink stopped charing people for overage. The other employee was a CRS over the phone who said basically the same thing.

Should I trust those two SL employees?(or the ones who post here?)

Thanks!

Chubbzie
@nc.us

Chubbzie

Anon

I would trust the SL employees that post here at DSLReports over a CSR or an installer. The employees that post in this forum tend to be higher up the food-chain and have a better understanding of the entire SL infrastructure/services as opposed to the local employees.

SDL L3Tech
join:2011-06-07
Tyler, TX

SDL L3Tech to JaclynKlm

to JaclynKlm
The monthly caps are still in place. However, since August, charging for overages has been suspended until further notice.
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

HarryH3

Premium Member

Does SL have a web page that shows what our usage is? I'd like to compare it to my router logs.

BryanC1968
join:2003-06-10
Elkins, WV

BryanC1968 to JaclynKlm

to JaclynKlm
I just compared the logs on my Router with Suddenlinks usage charts and they are way off... Suddenlinks usage data shows more than double what my router shows... I even compared 3 different months making sure to use the same start and end dates that suddenlinks charts show...
BryanC1968

1 edit

BryanC1968 to JaclynKlm

to JaclynKlm

Suddenlink Usage Chart
Click for full size
My Routers Bandwith Usage Report
Not really double but this is one example comparison. Look at the Suddenlink Chart for Month Ending 12/18/2012 and it shows Approx 120GB Used... The report from my router (if you can read it) is showing all the traffic in & out of the WAN port, sorted by type of traffic, and it is only showing 79.6GB Used...

By the way... How do you get your text to go above any image attachments instead of at the bottom...??

Chubbzie
@nc.us

Chubbzie

Anon

Wow, you have a bootstrap protocol server running over your WAN ports? First time I've seen that approach...

BryanC1968
join:2003-06-10
Elkins, WV

BryanC1968

You had me curious so I did some digging to see what BOOTPS was...
The traffic you see using BOOTPS port 67 is most likely DHCP Traffic... This is what I found during my googleing...

UDP Ports 67 and 68
Common Use

Port 67 Bootps

Port 68 Bootpc

Inbound Scan

Typically this traffic is related to normal DHCP operation and is not an attack on your network. DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) is how your computer gets its unique IP address. When a system starts up on a network it must first request an IP address (assume it is not using a static IP address), and it does this by broadcasting a request to the DHCP server:

UDP 0.0.0.0:68 -> 255.255.255.255:67

since the requesting system doesn't have an IP address (why it is asking) it uses 0.0.0.0 and since its new to the network it doesn't know where the DHCP server is, so it broadcasts the request to the entire network (255.255.255.255). On some networks you will see these requests bounce off of your firewall (depending on your provider's network configuration and if your router/firewall logs these requests), or your firewall/router might log this traffic between it and your providers DHCP server when it is getting or renewing its WAN IP address.

The DHCP server then responds with something like:

UDP 192.168.1.1:67 -> 255.255.255.255:68

This is typically a DHCP offer. NOTE it has to be broadcasted (255.255.255.255) as the requesting system doesn't yet have an IP address (its contained in the offer). The data in this transmission contains the IP and other network configuration information that the requesting system needs to connect to the network (lease time, Subnet Mask, etc). Again on some networks you will see these bounce off of your firewall (depending on your provider's network configuration and if your router/firewall logs these), or your firewall/router might log this traffic between it and your providers DHCP server when it is getting or renewing its WAN IP address.

Sometimes you will see something like:

UDP 192.168.1.101:67 -> 192.168.1.1:68

as a request, followed by a reply

UDP 192.168.1.1:68 -> 192.168.1.101:67

These are typically IP renewal requests, where a system has an IP address and is asking to renew it (ie get the lease extended), or if its not possible to renew the IP address to receive a new IP address from the DHCP server. Since the requesting system knows where the DHCP server is and it already has a current IP address the requests don't need to use 0.0.0.0 and 255.255.255.255.

Outbound Scan

Most routers/firewalls don't log this traffic, but given most routers/firewalls are also the local DHCP server you might see traffic logged between your router/firewall and connecting systems as they ask for and are assigned an IP Address on your network. It is not common to have your DHCP server on the WAN side of your firewall so in those cases perhaps you should investigate the configuration of your network.
BryanC1968

1 edit

BryanC1968 to JaclynKlm

to JaclynKlm

Suddenlinks Usage Chart
Click for full size
My Routers Bandwith Usage Report
Here is another example comparing the usage period of 10/19/2012 to 11/18/2012.. And this time it is more than double the difference... Suddenlinks Usage Chart shows Approx 140GB of Bandwidth used and my Routers Logs show only 52.9GB of Bandwidth used...

Can anyone from Suddenlink chime in and explain why there is such a difference between what they show I have used and what my equipment shows has went in and out of my network...???

moldypickle
Premium Member
join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-nanoHD

moldypickle

Premium Member

Wait, did an official SL just post that caps are in place but overages are not?

WTF is the point of the cap then?!?!?! O.o

And there is likely a difference because SL data recording and your router data recording are different programs and neither is regulated and required to be accurate. As to which is "more right" I guess it's anyones guess.
longgone
join:2000-12-30
Culloden, WV

longgone

said by moldypickle:

....Wait, did an official SL just post that caps are in place but overages are not?...

...WTF is the point of the cap then?!?!?! O.o

Yes, as I'd think many in here would like to also know that, if the caps are still in place like was commented, but the Overage (charges?) are not... until further notice, then what are specific terms that these caps and overages, then if not by extra charges, then how is all that actually effecting in some way their customers.

SDL L3Tech
join:2011-06-07
Tyler, TX

SDL L3Tech to JaclynKlm

to JaclynKlm
They are soft caps and without the overage charges, they are simply informational.

moldypickle
Premium Member
join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA

moldypickle

Premium Member

Well, that atleast makes sense. Are you able (or authorized) to comment on how the meter is ensured to be accurate? Or how it is metering the line? More than one person has noticed a discrepancy between the home router and the online tool.