how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Gtr7
Premium
join:2005-05-01

Another Rogers Rate Increase

Just got informed by mail that my Rogers internet price is increasing by 3 dollars plus tax more a month starting after Jan 24 /2013.

This is only one area of their increase. Customers with TV and or Phone will get an increase also.

My cap is 95 Gig for extreme internet and not 120 Gig because I was told I have to get the new Modem / Router to get 120 Gig. I still pay the same price as customers that get the 120 Gig package.

Ok after ten years with them and now this price increase added too, I've had enough, bye bye.

DO IT

@videotron.ca

said by Gtr7:

Just got informed by mail that my Rogers internet price is increasing by 3 dollars plus tax more a month starting after Jan 24 /2013.

This is only one area of their increase. Customers with TV and or Phone will get an increase also.

My cap is 95 Gig for extreme internet and not 120 Gig because I was told I have to get the new Modem / Router to get 120 Gig. I still pay the same price as customers that get the 120 Gig package.

Ok after ten years with them and now this price increase added too, I've had enough, bye bye.

Why would you need a new router to get more B/W usage? That's ridiculous.

I would file what they told you with the CCTS about having to buy a new modem to get more usage while getting a price increase and being left behind at 90-gigs. That is just too funny.

Hooter

join:2009-08-17
Scarborough, ON

Rogers only provides the higher speeds and usage allowances to customers who upgrade from a D2 modem to a D3 modem. If you do not upgrade - tough luck for you!

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
reply to Gtr7

So they slimmed down the bundled discounts and now they're increasing fee's as well?

Thank-you Rogers.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to Gtr7

More info:

»www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.portal···idential
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4
reply to DO IT

said by DO IT :

said by Gtr7:

Why would you need a new router to get more B/W usage? That's ridiculous.

I would file what they told you with the CCTS about having to buy a new modem to get more usage while getting a price increase and being left behind at 90-gigs. That is just too funny.

Rogers has been trying to get people to switch over to D3's in order to get more usage for over a year now. The CCTS is not going to investigate this as their mandate is to simply ensure that they are living up to their own TOS, they do not deal with pricing.

Pesterd

@rogers.com

What's the actual increase for all of the services? Didn't receive any mail yet from them and can't find any info on the website.

yyzlhr

Scarborough, ON

said by Pesterd :

What's the actual increase for all of the services? Didn't receive any mail yet from them and can't find any info on the website.

All internet tiers are going up by $3 except for 150/10.
Expand your moderator at work

Sunfox

join:2003-12-14
Markham, ON
reply to yyzlhr

Re: Another Rogers Rate Increase

Phone Essentials up 7.0%
Phone Favorites up 5.2%
Phone Deluxe up 4.6%

Cable Basic up 2.9%
Cable Digital Plus up 5.7%
Cable VIP up 2.9%

Internet Lite up 7.8%
Internet Express up 6.1%
Internet Extreme up 4.8%
Internet Extreme Plus up 4.2%

So if you're unlucky enough to subscribe to Phone Essentials, Cable Digital Plus and Internet Lite, your service will be going up 6.7%, or $8 per month/$96 per year.

Of course, all this is because of Rogers' horrible profits. I mean just look at these dreadful numbers:

Q4 2011: $327 million profit
Q1 2012: $356 million profit
Q2 2012: $400 million profit
Q3 2012: $466 million profit

I mean clearly something had to be done. Any reasonable person can see that 1.5 billion profit in 12 months isn't anywhere near enough, so it was time to significantly increase rates for their customers.

Gtr7
Premium
reply to Pesterd

I did not find any info either on their website ... maybe they figure it is bad for their business to post about an increase coming, especially to new possible customers thinking taking on a service.

The letter I got was dated for Dec 18 / 2012 and I just received it in the mail on Jan 2 / 2013.

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
kudos:2

2 edits
reply to Gtr7

This will be the end of Rogers as we knew it. These insane rate hikes coming only 9 months after their last hike is guaranteed to drive customers away by the truckload especially with the 30 day contract and ECF escape clause Rogers is forced to offer in Ontario.

This is business suicide. When times are tough you don't jack your rates sky high and pray for continued business success and customer loyalty.

People will go to the TPIAs just out of spite. Rogers has truly f#cked themselves this time. There's no way they'll get away with this without a HUGE customer backlash.

Their CEO needs to be locked up on the funny farm. What the hell is he thinking.

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
join:2004-02-24
Mississauga, ON

Do you really believe that this particular rate increase is going to push people over the edge?

Most people will grumble about it and then pay their bills.
--
Tom

Epichappy

join:2012-05-14
Kitchener, ON
reply to Gtr7

I'm sticking with rogers no matter what, they are the only provider in my area with more than 100Mb/s down... and I don't really like the 10 up but it is better than Tek savvey's (or however they spell it) 1.

Why don't people care about speed any more? It isn't even that big of an increase.

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
reply to elitefx

said by elitefx:

This will be the end of Rogers as we knew it.

Somebody claims this every damned price hike. Unfortunately, it has yet to be true.

yabos

join:2003-02-16
London, ON
reply to Gtr7

Canceling my cable cya Robbers! I was going to anyways since I don't use it but basic cable is already over priced IMO and will be going up, that's just laughable.

scorpido
Premium
join:2009-11-02
New Hamburg, ON
reply to Gtr7

Most people will cry and complain and then bend over and take like good little pushovers. That's how it is, that's how it always will be. It's sad, it's sick but hey, were a peace loving nation, god forbid we raise a fight. Look what we did with the Government..lol The had a confidence motion, the current party was kicked out because they were screwing up, we have another vote...and vote them right back in..lol Now if that's not taking it up the butt like good little wimps then I don't know what is. Like I said, the small amount of people who leave rogers wont even make a ripple in the Roger pool of Liquid BS (that keeps flowing everytime they re-enter and fu%k us one more time.....one more time.......one more time...

Cloneman

join:2002-08-29
Montreal
kudos:3
reply to Gtr7

Which puts them only infinity minus 3$ away from being as bad as Videotron

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Midland, ON
kudos:3
reply to Gtr7

I still pay 87 a month for my business 10/2 internet It's all I can get no 3rd party cable without a cap in my area and dsl is to slow here.

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON

If Rogers had any sense at all they'd implement a residential 10/2 tier at $30 month. Guaranteed they'd triple their customer base overnite. Give the consumer what they want at a reasonable price they can afford. That's how you remain numero uno.

Sounds like Rogers is currently run by Beavis and Butthead.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to TLS2000

said by TLS2000:

Do you really believe that this particular rate increase is going to push people over the edge?

Most people will grumble about it and then pay their bills.

The problem is where do you go (Internet aside)
Bell?
Shaw?

They can do what they want with impunity, simply because they have a quasi monopoly and if you don't like it, they tell you to pound sand.

I talk to people all the time, the same general hate on for Rogers is everywhere, they have the WORST public image of any public company yet don't care... like I said, where are you going to go?
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

yyzlhr

Scarborough, ON
reply to elitefx

said by elitefx:

Right because Rogers has ever failed to be insanely profitable despite how consumer unfriendly they are.

Gtr7
Premium

1 recommendation

reply to elwoodblues

Switching to Tek Savvy DSL 6 MB speed.

Had around 6 MB speed a number of years back with Rogers and it was fine with me.

Rogers last year had increased the price but had the nerve to kept me (and others) at the 95 Gig limit and not allow the 120 Gig cap. You got to buy or rent the D3 modem from us to get the 120 cap (but we will charge you more anyways if you don't). I called and asked about this last year.

If I was to stay with Rogers with coming increase,

Cost would be $73.44 month without going over cap and using the old modem (Motorola SB5100) I purchased over 8 years ago and my Cap is still 95 Gig.

Overuse charge $1.50 a Gig to a maximum of $100 plus tax.

Going to Tek Savvy

Costs equals $39.54 month with a modem I purchased (speed touch 516) from them and a 300 Gig Cap.

Overuse charge $.50 a Gig to a maximum of $25 plus tax.

Unlimited usage between 2am and 8am not counted towards cap.

Overall I'll be paying $33.90 less a month for over 3 times more allowance.

Yes Rogers speed was great but what good is it if you can't go farther then the end of the laneway without running out of fuel and having to pay for more. (but you can do this faster)

But now with Tek Savvy, I can go down the street and even around the corner at times and still have some fuel to spare.

It took me so long to wake up.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

I said Internet aside.

hjlow

join:2013-01-05
Kitchener, ON
reply to Gtr7

only problem is teksavvy gives your ip to whoever asks for it :/

prairiesky

join:2008-12-08
canada
reply to elitefx

said by elitefx:

If Rogers had any sense at all they'd implement a residential 10/2 tier at $30 month. Guaranteed they'd triple their customer base overnite. Give the consumer what they want at a reasonable price they can afford. That's how you remain numero uno.

from a buisness side, what makes more sense, 200 customers at $30 a month or 100 customers at $60 a month??

It may actually be more profitable for them to move people to TPIAs. They're bandwidth requirements go to 0, the public tech support decreases. makes perfect business sense

yyzlhr

Scarborough, ON

said by prairiesky:

said by elitefx:

from a buisness side, what makes more sense, 200 customers at $30 a month or 100 customers at $60 a month??

It may actually be more profitable for them to move people to TPIAs. They're bandwidth requirements go to 0, the public tech support decreases. makes perfect business sense

Not to mention they're making at least $20 per TPIA customer to lease the last mile.

a1_Andy
Premium
join:2005-12-29
Oshawa, ON
reply to Gtr7

That's exactly how much bell raised their price. $3
The large ISP's are not price fixing are they?

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
reply to hjlow

said by hjlow:

only problem is teksavvy gives your ip to whoever asks for it :/

Only when a court order requires it of them.

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to elitefx

said by elitefx:

If Rogers had any sense at all they'd implement a residential 10/2 tier at $30 month. Guaranteed they'd triple their customer base overnite.

and they would have a 10GB cap with said service. So it is nonsense that they would triple their customer base. Rogers will never give customers what they really want.