Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
kudos:2
reply to yyzlhr

Re: [TV] Had to give DOB to cancel cable.

said by yyzlhr:

If you're willing to pay for unauthorized charges to your account in exchange for "taking people out behind the barn...", I'm sure Rogers is more than willing to make that compromise just for you.

It's a moot point. The government says we have, what, 30 days to opt out of anything? You pick up the phone and change it back.

As much as I respect your opinion I think this is all just nonsense. What are the odds? A million to one some nutcase has nothing better to do. I take a bigger risk crossing the street. 'nuff said about this by me.

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1

1 edit
said by elitefx:

It's a moot point. The government says we have, what, 30 days to opt out of anything? You pick up the phone and change it back.

For new contracts, with a number of exceptions. Adding or removing services are NOT covered under that, unless a new contract is required (and then only maybe). Good luck getting charges reversed for a month of some added feature or programming that someone else added on you.

And in the case of a disconnect, you might not know the change was made until you're cut off. Then you've got to go through the hassle of getting everything reinstated, including any standing deals or discounts (good luck on that one).

said by elitefx:

What are the odds? A million to one some nutcase has nothing better to do. I take a bigger risk crossing the street. 'nuff said about this by me.

This stuff happens on an unfortunately regular basis. The odds may not be very high, but they're higher than you want to think. Here's a discussion from last year that has multiple examples of why proper identification is a must : »Re: Rogers answerable to CRTC over ITMP again

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4

1 recommendation

reply to elitefx
said by elitefx:

said by yyzlhr:

If you're willing to pay for unauthorized charges to your account in exchange for "taking people out behind the barn...", I'm sure Rogers is more than willing to make that compromise just for you.

As much as I respect your opinion I think this is all just nonsense. What are the odds? A million to one some nutcase has nothing better to do. I take a bigger risk crossing the street. 'nuff said about this by me.

When it comes to unauthorized changes, fraudsters are not simply adding channel packages. They will add wireless services and charge expensive phones to your account and lock you into a commitment. When physical hardware is involved, Rogers isn't going to reverse the charges so easily. And this happens on a DAILY basis. There is a reason why Rogers and many companies have fraud departments. If the chance of this happening was a million to one, the fraud department would of been laid off during the last round of firings. Perhaps as an outsider it's hard for you to appreciate the importance of this, but as someone who has worked in the industry a long time, it's important that Rogers and other MSOs take steps to safeguard our accounts. When I worked part time in retail at Rogers, MULTIPLE fraudsters would come in on a DAILY basis to attempt to make unauthorized changes. If someone who only worked PART TIME can be exposed to so much attempted fraud, it's safe to say it happens quite often. And trust me, we don't want to ask customers for IDs, and DOBs, when I worked in sales, authentication procedures were also a barrier in helping us close sales. So it works both ways, these policies are NOT in place to make it more difficult to cancel.