uniqs
share rss forum feed

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15
reply to telcodad

Re: New Guides for SA/Cisco Areas (Info from Ted Hodgins Blog)

And it looks like my area of NJ will be getting the S26 update in mid-February:

From ComcastTeds
1-03-2013 4:02 PM

... The Cherry Hill area is currently scheduled for later this month. The Monmouth County and Ocean County areas are currently scheduled for mid-February.

Russ6

join:2011-03-17
Houston, TX
kudos:1

The following post is from Comcast's Ted Hodgins, Sr. Director, Video Product Development - Navigation, in Media & Entertainment, "New Features for Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco Cable Boxes" blog. Telcodad posted the link in another thread.

quote:
01-09-2013 03:12 PM

MikeWolf wrote:

Why is New Jersey never on the forefront of testing out new technologies and software and guides? It always seems like we're the last to get anything. It's always areas like New England or Philly or states in the Southwest for examples. I can't remember I time that New Jersey ever got anything before the rest of the country, and when I say "New Jersey" I don't mean the suburbs right outside Philly, I'm talking about areas such as down at the Jersey Shore in the Ocean County/Toms River area zip codes 08722, 08753, 08754, 08755, 08756, and 08757.

I'm hearing rumors from various Comcast employees such as line technicians, service technicians, X1 engineers, even payment center staff that Comcast plans to phase out Cisco and SA headend equipment and set top boxes in favor of Motorola equipment, which makes sense since the X1 equipment is generic and will work on both systems showing up as legacy SA set tops and new Motorola set tops.

Then there is the question of when or if the X1 interface is ever going to be brought to the Cisco RNG200N DVR set tops as I'm hearing rumors that the Guide 2.0 might be coming to the Cisco RNG200N DVR but also rumors that it will not and just the S26 update and no further development will occur. Just wh at is included in the S26 update as your post doesn't specifically say if it's the S26 update or not.

When will external eSATA DVR expanders larger then 1TB be supported? »customer.comcast.com/help-and-su···storage/

I'm also confused that if Guide 2.0 comes to the Cisco RNG200N DVR that it may or may not require the XR2 remote. I went to the XR2 remote website and the link to "supported devices" such as evidenced in questions 10 and 13 »customer.comcast.com/help-and-su···te/#FAQs is completely useless and just links back to the page you came from »customer.comcast.com/help-and-su···_Devices

Another question is the availability of AnyPlay. What Cisco/SA set top boxes will be supported? The X1 set tops? The Cisco RNG200N DVR set tops? Neither?

Do you know when or if Comcast is ever going to complete the national channel lineup so regardless of which Comcast serving area someone goes to the channels (excluding local channels) will all be in the same lineup?
quote:
Hello MikeWolf.

Thanks for your questions.

As a company, we have several markets that we have identified as being our trial markets. Those areas are staffed accordingly and have the additional necessary equipment and additional manpower to assist with trialing of our new products. Some areas are first, some areas are last. Every area thinks they are the last to get new products. Our Motorola areas of New Jersey were one of the first to get AnyRoom DVR as well as the most recent version of the guide software. Believe me, it’s nothing personal against NJ. I love NJ and Toms River. Our SA-Cisco customers have always had the option to connect an external DVR via the e-SATA port; we are just getting that feature activated for our Motorola devices .

The sequence of product deployments hinges on many factors; some of those include other higher priority customer and business impacting projects, contractual issues, legal issues, weather, staffing, prerequsite upstream projects, any moratoriums around holidays and big events where we don’t want to impact our customers and the business.

I am not aware of any immediate plans to phase out any Cisco-SA headend equipment and set top boxes. That sort of project would require substantial capital dollars as well as customer and business disruption and take some significant time.

The X1 Experience will be able to run just fine on a Cisco RNG 200 DVR once we get to the point where we can deliver that product to existing boxes already in the home.

On-Screen Guide 2.0 was a short-term bridge for us to deliver AnyRoom DVR and an improved experience to some limited Cisco markets while the X1 Experience was getting ready for wide deployment. Many features, functionality and customer feedback from On-Screen Guide 2.0 were fine- tuned and included in the X1 Experience.

We don’t have any additional areas where we will be moving ahead with On-Screen Guide 2.0.That guide will continue to be supported in the areas where it is deployed until we deliver those areas the X1 Experience.

The X1 Experience is the eventual goal for all of our high-end cable boxes regardless of geography or existing plant infrastructure. We do have the X1 Guide running in customer homes in SA-Cisco areas of New Hampshire and with employees in SA-Cisco areas in New Jersey.

We may explore plans to support eSATA DVR expanders larger than 1 TB. That would require a firmware update to support. Our goal this year is to be able to use the cloud for DVR recordings. The X1 Experience is expected to have a cloud DVR opportunity where individual DVR recordings are not stored on the in-home device. This cloud DVR experience would really negate the need for a limited and physically in-the-home external hard drive and all boxes could be AnyRoom DVRs. Plus the opportunity to retain your DVR recordings should you move or you need to replace the DVR.

The XR2 remote is included with all of our On-Screen Guide 2.0 and X1 Experience installations. On-Screen Guide 2.0 is not scheduled for NJ. The XR2 remote control will also be the default remote control for the HD-DTA device. I’ll look into getting the circular link corrected that you referenced.

AnyPlay is working quite well today with customers on both SA/Cisco and Motorola plants. AnyPlay is not tied to a specific box type or plant infrastructure. AnyPlay is not currently available in NJ and a lot of northeast locations at this time I don’t have any new information to share on the availability in your area at this time.

You should start to see additional areas gradually move towards a national channel lineup implementation for channels above 100 during this year.

Thanks again for your patience and feedback as we work to improve the experience.

»forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-···7#M63740
--
Cisco RNG 200N & SA 8300 HD DVRs-S26 Guide
Links
'Guide Blog'
'Schedule'
'Info'
'Patch Thread'

Russ6

join:2011-03-17
Houston, TX
kudos:1

1 edit

Posted in Wrong Thread.

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
reply to telcodad

said by telcodad:

From ComcastTeds

... The Cherry Hill area is currently scheduled for later this month. The Monmouth County and Ocean County areas are currently scheduled for mid-February.

FYI - The S26 update for the Cherry Hill area has now been postponed by a week:

From ComcastTeds
1-28-2013 2:23 PM

The Cherry Hill area was moved out a week to accommodate other projects and locations.

That area of southern NJ is currently scheduled to receive this guide software and firmware update (including third party cable cards) and new features the week of February 4th. Thanks for your patience.

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:4

Thanks for keeping us informed.

mountlaurel

@comcast.net
reply to telcodad

"Mike Wolf" Try to get an update for what night this week Comcast of Garden State, NJ will receive the "Cable Card" update.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

1 edit

I asked and here is the response. »forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-···7#M66568

The guide software and cablecard FW updates for the Cherry Hill area were moved again to accommodate other projects and customer-related business needs. The updates are no longer scheduled for this week in southern NJ.

All of our areas in NJ (with Cisco and Scientific-Atlanta branded cable boxes) are still currently expected to receive these updates this month. Apologies for the change in schedule.

Once the dates for NJ are re-confirmed and as we get closer to those dates, I will be able to post that information here. Thanks for your continued patience.

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
reply to telcodad

said by telcodad:

said by telcodad:

From ComcastTeds

FYI - The S26 update for the Cherry Hill area has now been postponed by a week:

From ComcastTeds
1-28-2013 2:23 PM

The Cherry Hill area was moved out a week to accommodate other projects and locations.

That area of southern NJ is currently scheduled to receive this guide software and firmware update (including third party cable cards) and new features the week of February 4th. Thanks for your patience.

The S26 update for the Cherry Hill area has been postponed again:

From ComcastTeds
2-4-2013 3:26 PM

The guide software and cablecard FW updates for the Cherry Hill area were moved again to accommodate other projects and customer-related business needs. The updates are no longer scheduled for this week in southern NJ.

All of our areas in NJ (with Cisco and Scientific-Atlanta branded cable boxes) are still currently expected to receive these updates this month. Apologies for the change in schedule.

Once the dates for NJ are re-confirmed and as we get closer to those dates, I will be able to post that information here. Thanks for your continued patience.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

Update on S26 rollout
»forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-···1#M66603

SCHEDULE UPDATE:

Customers in additional areas of PA listed below are currently scheduled to get the on-screen guide updates and new features this week::

PENNSYLVANIA: Abington Township, Alexandria, Archbald, Avoca, Benton Township, Berrysburg, Blakely, Brady Township, Broad Top Township, Carbon Township, Catherine Township, Clarks Green, Clarks Summit, Clinton Township, Coaldale, Coalmont, Covington Township, Dallas, Dallas Township, Dalton, Dudley, Dunmore, Dupont, Duryea, Edwardsville, Elizabethville, Elmhurst Township, Exeter, Exeter Township, Factoryville, Forty Fort, Franklin Township, Glenburn Township, Gratz, Harveys Lake, Higgins Township, Henderson Township, Hopewell, Hopewell Township, Hubbley Township, Hughestown, Huntingdon, Jefferson Township, Jenkins Township, Jessup, Juniata Township, Kingston Township, Kistler, Laflin, LaPlume Township, Lehman Township, Liberty Township, Lincoln Township, Logan Township, Luzerne, Lykens, Lykens Township, Madison Township, Marklesburg, Mifflin Township, Mill Creek, Mill Hall, Moosic, Morris Township, Moscow, Mt. Union. Nanticoke, Newtown Hamilton, Newton Township, Nicholson, North Abington Township, Northmoreland Township, Old Forge, Olyphant, Oneida Township, Penn Township, Petersburg, Pillow, Pittston, Pittstown Township, Plains Township, Plymouth, Porter Township, Ransom Township, Roaring Brook Township, Rush Township, Saxton, Scott Township, Scranton, Shirley Township, Shirlesyburg, Smithfield Township, South Abington Township, Spring Brook Township, Swoyersville, Taylor, Throop, Tower City, Union Township, Upper Mahontongo Township, Upper Paxton Township, Walker Township, Washington Township, Wayne Township, Wells Township, West Pittston, West Wyoming, Wicionisco Township, Williams Township, Williamsburg, Williamsport, Williamstown, Woodbury Township, Wyoming, Yatesville.

Details on the new features available are detailed in the initial post in this thread. Additional information can be found at »www.xfinity.com/meetyourguide

Additional locations will be announced as they are confirmed. All locations are expected to be completed by the end of March 2013. Thanks for your patience.

--
I'm always up for a good chat and helping with VoIP testing so my contact info is below.
Gigaset.net: Michael Wolf
Callcentric: 17772288600
SIP URI: sip:226976325024#9@sip.gigaset.net and sip:17772288600@in.callcentric.com

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ

Latest update on the S26 deployment on Ted Hodgins' (aka "ComcastTeds") "New Features for Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco Cable Boxes" stickied thread on the Comcast Help and Support Forum:

2-18-2013 3:41 PM

SCHEDULE UPDATE:

Customers in Alexandria and Arlington, Virginia are currently scheduled to get the on-screen guide updates and new features this week.

Details on the new features available are detailed in the initial post in this thread. Additional information can be found at »www.xfinity.com/meetyourguide

Additional locations will be announced as they are confirmed. All locations are expected to be completed in early 2013. Thanks for your patience.

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
reply to telcodad

said by telcodad:

From ComcastTeds

... The Monmouth County and Ocean County areas are currently scheduled for mid-February.

The latest update now for the Monmouth and Ocean County NJ areas:

From ComcastTeds
2-25-2013 11:39 AM

... Monmouth County and Ocean County are currently scheduled for early March pending final internal approvals. Once we get closer to that date I will be sure and confirm that information here. Thanks for your patience.

SeanBecker

@comcast.net

It's always changing and quite frankly, being IN Ocean County, we're getting fed up with the incompetence of the decision makers. We were supposed to get the update before the snowstorm hit and we got delayed again. Then instead of them making it up to us by doing us immediately, they went off to do other states instead. Comcast couldn't find their head if it was glued to their hand.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

I do have to agree that I'm starting to get a bit tired of the wait myself.
I heard from a tech that was visiting last Monday that his boss said March 6th. Ted hasn't responded.

SeanWhite

@comcast.net

Lack of progress with SA/Cisco Cable Boxes updated

This is a collaborated open letter I was sent from a few people who wished to express some troubles they are having. These are their words, not mine:

We're just confused at this point because we assumed our area was scheduled to get the update the week a few days before the snowstorm hit and that when the restoration effort in New England was over that that schedule would pick up where it was left off but instead most of Pennsylvania was done, and then most recently Alexandria and Arlington, Virginia was done. We noticed we were told that Southern Jersey would be done by the end of February and then some magical decision without consideration to us real customers was made to accommodate "other projects" and "customer-related business needs" to push us again to a generic time by the end of March just like everyone else, an empty party line. We're sure another excuse will be made and we'll all be pushed to June. We bet the decision makers already have their update regardless of their location so they are in no big hurry and are dragging their feet. We know it's not Teds fault for the lack of information, he's being very nice in giving us updates, it's just very frustrating when the information we do get is either unrelated to our specific location or the same "end of March 2013" statement. It's as if Comcast simply has no concept of time management and scheduling and can't plan a day in advance. Hypothetically, Us questioning this would give us the response of "things come up" and our response would be "not our problem, we're paying for a service, figure it out without negatively affecting us. Hire more engineers and techs, you got the money we pay you".

It just feels like we're being strung along like sheep. We're always thanked for our patience but at some point very very soon our patience is going to run out and then what? Not like we're going to get reimbursed for making us wait longer because of decisions made that affect us without consideration. The entire point of this thread is to keep us customers up to date in what is going on with Comcast and yet we get ever so slightly more then the generic response we'd get if we called the 1800 number and get a call center overseas. Again we know this isn't Ted's fault and no one here is blaming him in the least.

Ok there we go. Those are not my words, I'm just passing them along as requested.

mariod

join:2009-06-16

1 recommendation

That's a pretty immature "letter" that people should be embarrassed to be associated with.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

I disagree I think there are some valid points.

mariod

join:2009-06-16

"us real customers"

"We bet the decision makers already have their update regardless of their location so they are in no big hurry and are dragging their feet."

"not our problem, we're paying for a service, figure it out without negatively affecting us. Hire more engineers and techs, you got the money we pay you".

If I worked for Comcast, and received something this bratty, I'd push whatever they are complaining about back another two months. Its embarrassing that someone would even take the amount of time to write something like that out to complain about a SOFTWARE UPDATE to a set top box. Grow up.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

I could certainly understand the frustration these individuals feel.

mountlaurel

@army.mil

"Mike Wolf" Do you know if the "Channels Not Available" message that I am receiveing on my TIVO Premiere is a "Cable Card" problem??? Never had a problem until after Christmas. Is it because my Cisco area went to the I-Guide (A25)? Thanks

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

updated stuff

which channels in particular. You mean like this »tinypic.com/view.php?pic=29ypqb9&s=6 ?
or
»support.tivo.com/euf/assets/imag···able.jpg
or do you mean »i68.photobucket.com/albums/i1/05···s012.jpg

Cisco areas are using the S25 software guide and moving to the S26 software guide. This change wouldn't affect the TiVo since it runs on the cableboxes. There is supposed to be a firmware update to the Cisco/SA cablecards to correct a "not authorized" message that randomly appears on both the cablecard equipped cableboxes, and any customer owned device that uses a cablecard such as TiVo and Moxi and home theater computers. Unfortunately I don't have any information about what firmware version was pushed to the cards but once I know that information I can look into it with Cisco's support and look into the release notes to see if there are any known issues. You can find the card information if you go to Settings & Messages -> Settings -> Remote, CableCARD, & Devices -> CableCARD Decoder -> CableCARD Options -> CableCARD Menu -> CableCARD Diag Screen

then look for
H/W Model:
Bldr Ver:
OS Ver:
Build Time:
--
I'm always up for a good chat and helping with VoIP testing so my contact info is below.
Gigaset.net: Michael Wolf
Callcentric: 17772288600
SIP URI: sip:226976325024#9@sip.gigaset.net and sip:17772288600@in.callcentric.com

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
reply to telcodad

Re: New Guides for SA/Cisco Areas (Info from Ted Hodgins Blog)

said by telcodad:

said by telcodad:

From ComcastTeds

... The Monmouth County and Ocean County areas are currently scheduled for mid-February.

The latest update now for the Monmouth and Ocean County NJ areas:

From ComcastTeds
2-25-2013 11:39 AM

... Monmouth County and Ocean County are currently scheduled for early March pending final internal approvals. Once we get closer to that date I will be sure and confirm that information here. Thanks for your patience.

Looks like continued delays for the S26 deployment in NJ given today's update:

From ComcastTeds
3-6-2013 10:42 AM

... Our schedule in NJ has been impacted by a few weather events and some other business and customer priorities. We continue to work with the local NJ Comcast teams to get this update deployed.

I will be sure and post the confirmed dates here (as I have done all along for each area).

Thanks for your continued patience.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

Not surprised. Starting to think it's a personal vendetta against us lol

The Q

join:2008-06-26
Collegeville, PA

said by Mike Wolf:

Not surprised. Starting to think it's a personal vendetta against us lol

Perhaps its more to do with the recent weather sitaution in new jersey that is keeping comcast busy.... perhaps...

»www.pressofatlanticcity.com/news···3f4.html

»www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2013/0···ing.html

LeeDeMarco

@comcast.net

Just sounds like blaming the weather for the lack of progress, there has been plenty of time since the beginning of February to roll out a software update between storms. Comcast just keeps "loaning out" their people for out of state projects instead of completing their tasks at home. What they could do is pool resources together from unaffected areas like the West coast or areas already upgraded, that way projects actually get completed.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to The Q

I doubt that's the real reason.

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
reply to telcodad

FYI - The latest status for the S26 update deployment:

From ComcastTeds
3-22-2013 2:11 PM

... We had initially anticipated that all impacted locations would be complete by the end of March 2013. We are now at 44% complete. We obviously aren’t going to make the end of March timeline for all locations as I initially communicated and for that I apologize.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, we knew and communicated that a few locations were moving into April. That will now be the case for the majority of the remainder of our locations.

As areas get confirmed, we will certainly list them here.

For NJ, we have Monmouth and Ocean Counties currently scheduled for April 9. The remainder of NJ - Cherry Hill and vicinity - are currently scheduled for April 16.

Those are not confirmed dates but scheduled dates. As we get closer to those dates, we will evaluate the current situation in each area (as we always do) and get alignment with our local teams on the best timing for our customers (and the business) before moving ahead.

Thanks again for your continued patience and understanding. We will get these updates out to the remainder of our locations as quickly as reasonably possible.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

Seems to be due to them not wanting to screw up the nationwide watchaton »corporate.comcast.com/comcast-vo···all-free

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
reply to telcodad

Here's the latest info on the S26 update deployment for Monmouth and Ocean counties in NJ:

From ComcastTeds
4-5-2013 11:59 AM

SCHEDULE UPDATE

Customers in the areas listed below are currently scheduled to get the referenced on-screen guide updates and new features next week.

NEW JERSEY

Allenhurst, Atlantic Highlands, Barnegat, Bay Head, Beachwood, Berkeley, Brick, Brick Township, Bricktown, Cedar Bonnet Island, Clearbrook, Concordia, Cranbury, Crestwood, Deal, Dover, Dover Township, Eagleswood, East Brunswick, East Windsor, Eatontown, Fair Haven, Fort Monmouth, Freehold, Greenbriar, Harvey Cedars, Hazlet, Helmetta, Highlands, Hightstown, Holmdel, Island Heights, Jamesburg, Lacey Township, Lakehurst, Little Egg Harbor, Little Silver, Loch Arbour, Long Beach Township, Long Branch, Manchester, Mantoloking, Middletown, Monmouth Beach. Monroe, Ocean Gate, Ocean Township, Oceanport, Pine Beach, Pine Hurst Estates, Plainsboro, Point Pleasant, Point Pleasant Beach, Red Bank, Roosevelt, Rossmore, Rumson, Sea Bright, Ship Bottom, Shrewsbury Borough, South Brunswick, South Toms River, Spotswood, Stafford Township, Surf City, Tinton Falls, Toms River, Tuckerton, Twin Rivers, West Long Branch, West Windsor, Whiting.

Additional locations will be announced as they are confirmed. All locations are expected to be completed in early 2013. Thanks for your patience.

mountlaurel

@army.mil

"MikeWolf" I'm sorry if I asked this before but is this Cable Card firmware update to fix the "Momentary Black Screen" and "Channels Not Authorized" message when channels should be Authorized or be available? I have TIVO Premiere on the Garden State, NJ system and this problem is very annoying. Thanks. I believe next Tuesday (16 APR 2013) is our day.

SpHeRe31459
Premium
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA
kudos:2

said by mountlaurel :

"MikeWolf" I'm sorry if I asked this before but is this Cable Card firmware update to fix the "Momentary Black Screen" and "Channels Not Authorized" message when channels should be Authorized or be available? I have TIVO Premiere on the Garden State, NJ system and this problem is very annoying. Thanks. I believe next Tuesday (16 APR 2013) is our day.

Since you're a TiVo user, you should have posted in the TiVo thread here:
»Re: [TiVo] TiVo access to XFINITY On Demand
In the post I linked to Mike said that Comcast's official solution is to give you a newer CableCARD the PKM801 (there is also an PKM802, but I don't know if Comcast is using them)