I've had 3 techs come out to my house, and this is my last attempt at resolving the issue before I take advantage of the 90-day guarantee, because I would really like to stay with Mediacom. I have had this problem since I started with Mediacom (and not before) in October, and was hoping that a new modem would fix the problem. I finally got the new modem a couple of weeks ago. It did not fix the problem, but that is why I did not start the support earlier.
So here's the story:
When I sustain bandwidth usage above about 12-15Mbps, my connection reliably drops after a few minutes. Sometimes 2 minutes, other times 10 minutes or longer, but it happens reliably and will continue to drop every few minutes. It also happens when I'm doing nothing but browsing, but is seemingly random under light usage so I don't know how to reproduce it without stressing the connection.
Tech 1: 12/23/2012. After he checked the signals and said nothing was wrong, I demonstrated the connection drop by downloading a large Linux distribution. He witnessed the connection completely shut down twice while he was here, and saw the modem lights blinking as it tried to re-establish a connection each time. He said he'd never seen or heard of this happening, and that he'd ask around. A week later when I called to follow up, I found out he closed the ticket as completed with no problems. Grrr.
Tech 2: 12/31/2012. Checked the signals and said everything was fine. I told him I could force the issue and he asked me to demonstrate while he monitored the signal from the street. He saw my connection drop three times in a matter of 10 minutes, and I stood there as he called to report a low SNR during streaming. He told me the issue was at the pole and another tech would be coming out on 1/2/2013 to fix it.
Tech 3: I was home all day and never saw him. When I spoke to Mediacom chat today (1/3) I was told that the ticket was marked as completed with no problem by a tech on 1/2/2013. My guess is the tech came out, checked the signal at the pole, didn't see a problem and left.
I am now very irritated and frustrated. In order to assist you as best I can, I've gone through the Before Posting page, and here are the answers:
1. Description. I guess I've covered it...
2. I have a router behind the modem. I have also tested without the router, going directly to my desktop and the problem persists. It is a D-Link DIR-632 with dd-wrt.
3. Currently a Motorola SB6121, FW SB612X-22.214.171.124-SCM00-NOSH. I currently have my modem on a power strip, but plugging straight into the wall doesn't fix anything. The Motorola is mine, brand new, and the rental I still have in my possession is a Cisco DPC3008, also stated to be brand new by the original installation tech. I don't know what the FW version is because it's not hooked up. Phone tech support, as well as on-site techs have "sent a signal to the modem" and then had me power cycle the modem. I can reprovision it if you need me to.
4. Signal levels 35-37SNR. Currently 35. Power is at 0dBmV every time I check - »imgur.com/e0eKg
5. Speed test from DSLR yield about 7-12Mbps down, 2Mbps up. I have seen speeds up to 30-35Mbps down. So fast!
6. Line Quality - »/pingtest/aa39···/2978899
7. I am using Windows 8. I also see the issue on my iPad iOS 5.1.1 and Mac OSX 10.7.4
8. Smokeping, ongoing for 24 hours. CA1 saw some packet loss very early (I forced the issue for the first a half hour, hoping it would see something) - »/r3/smokeping.···d9dd3f49
9. No special firewalls except for the ones built into the OS. I use Avast on my Windows 8 box, and no anti-virus on my Mac.
Oh, since I have access to my modem logs now, I can tell you what it says every time:
DCC aborted unable to acquire new downstream channel;
Unicast Ranging Received Abort Response - initializing MAC;
TLV-11 - unrecognized OID;
RCS Partial Service;
TLV-11 - unrecognized OID;
And every now and then I get this, but I'm not sure if it's correlated with my connection dropping:
No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;
Thank you so much for any advice/help you can offer. I really want to be a satisfied customer =/.
Edit: Me downloading some linux again to force the issue this morning (1/4) with great regularity. The smoke tests are currently occuring at intervals that are out of sync with my drops, but they still see some things. »i.imgur.com/w3Cio.png